GVKs mk2 VR6

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by GVK, Oct 23, 2003.

1. steved Forum Member

2. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Just put a turbo on, you know you want to!

Oh, and welcome back. :thumbup: (Not that I'm around much at the moment).

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Steve. Thanks for the links, will keep eye on them.

Alex - I still might but only run low boost.... a simple non-intercooled Rotrex/a.n.other SC set up using a head spacer would suit my cars use than a turbo kit, even the guys at C2 UK agreed that.....

Eddie - surely it's all about the PCM tuning "optimising boatanchor caibrations" .......?

There are a lot of poorly mapped boosted VR6s around running Motronic. Lot's and lot's of development has gone into the C2 stuff, both here and in the US. Like getting on for 10 yrs, maybe more.....

Compare - fitting a SC kit = weekends work inc. head spacer, can keep 268 cams, my exhaust, everything - I already have a socketed ECU so can just run C2 UK software for SC which is already 'done' - set of 315cc 'red top' Saab Turbo injectors - DONE!

Turbo conversion, still requires head spacer, but fabbing up boost pipes, downpipe etc that all takes time..... hmmmmmm...... < ponders>

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  4. GVK

Gurds, you at the pod today? You can run my car and offer feedback.... you can do 1/4 miles well.... :thumbup:

5. GVK

I've ordered a set of Kumho V70a for summer 'ring trip/ track dayz to go on the yerrow rimz.
    I ordered medium and was chatting to Lizard who reminded me that Hard compound may be better for the 'ring/and longevity.

Gave Camskill a call yesterday and Scott agreed that yes Hard would be better for the 'ring - Lizard was right for a change. Changed the order to hard compound V70a's

What was very interesting we got chatting about my car, VR6 in a mk2 Golf and he advised I need 205/50x15 as they are stock size for the VR6 - I explained that due to my wide-track set up 195/50x15 is the best option as any bigger/taller tyres catch the arches, even though they've been rolled. (I could cut the arches off to help fitting bigger tyres) No problem.

Anyway, he asked how the car drives, how long previous R888 have lasted etc what pressures did I run. Ever since doing trackdays I run my tyres @ 30 psi HOT

He said that is way too low , and because 195/50 has a lower 'load index' than a 205/50 I should run more pressure in the 195s due to the extra weight of the BoatAnchor...

Something I din't know is that the factory tyre pressure on the front of a mk3 VR6 is 38psi!! So he calculated due to the lesser load index of the 195 I should run the fronts at 42psi COLD!

He said obviously if there's no grip and it feels like you're driving on ice, they're too hard but he advised that the reason R888s don't last long is that they're used with too little pressure and the sidewalls deflect under load which distorts the tread shoulders giving excess wear. He also said the car will oversteer with low front tyre pressures as there is more weight transfer with the tyres deflecting. Making the already light rear end, even lighter....

Finally, he said the reason the Kumhos last well is that they're a proper Motorsport stiff carcass (like slicks) - I agreed with him, remembering fitting Colin Whitmore's on his Kumho M3 E36.

All very interesting I thought. Thumbs up for Camskills customer service.

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Bosch PCM tuning and understanding calibratables is one thing yes as you would have to for a turbo. But the vehicle example run up on the dyno was running very close to what I would expect for a well calibrated SC VR6. Still, for the money of this conversion, it was marginally better than a 1.8T conversion with a 5304 turbo.
    If you collect everything for the turbo conversion, hardware wise, it can be done in a day matey. I know of two guys down here who done this.

7. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

he`s right gary:thumbup: may take the weekend with a cooler

8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I have run both the Kumho's and R888s and have to say the 888 is a quicker tyre - but they are both very good....at the price of them these days, the Kumho is getting very attractive and one possibility with them is running softer compound on the rear as these will never wear out in even medium compound

edit - the other very good tyre if you are interested in a harder road legal track tyre is the avon zzr - based on the saloon car race tyre - crap for sprints though as its just too hard

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  9. GVK

<cough manifold> ;)

10. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

sitting there just waiting mate, its all lonesome :(

11. GVK

Best stock up on Mountain Dew and McFlurries eh! :lol:

12. GVK

R888s have rocketed up in price and Nige has proven that the Kumhos in hard last far better at the 'ring - last time I went I had a new set of R888s on the front, car did 32laps that weekend and the fronts were down to 2mm :lol:

Interesting Avons... BMTR are not far away, only in B'ham, went past there the other week.

13. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

I'm there!

(Where?)

14. steved Forum Member

DUNLOP DZ03G is the only way to go now, the tintop boys have made up to a second a lop at Brands Hatch over R888's

15. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

42psi cold is *******s you would **** the tyres in 5 laps.

I run 24psi cold in the fronts. Front hots at 30 and rears 32/34. If you go any hotter you can feel them go off. I have heard of people going higher due to the softer sidewalls. But mine were fine, 1m21 @ Snetterton and 55s at Brands

16. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Proper Slick compound. I used to have the D01J's fantastic tyres:thumbup:

Steve your thoughts on tyre pressures ?

17. Admin Guest

interesting info on the tyres.

surprised at the pressures though. specially such high psi for cold tyres.

18. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

I don't know, but I'm not going to be the one driving around a country side looking for the one garage that sells them.

Again.

19. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

think theres a shop in aldermarston?

20. Admin Guest

really? a shop there?

Passing through on saturday if you want me to check