Synta Silver Prices!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by cometbluecoupe, Mar 30, 2007.

1. With no GSF near me I have to get my stocks of synta from the stealers. Used to be ok (around 14) went in there last week to be told 22.50 sir! Jesus - what am i gonna do, as we all know valvers need S.S to survive! I think my local motor factors has it but for about 18. Anyone else encountered this sharp increase in price? :o

Dan M

2. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

Jesus - I was going to nip to the dealers later to pick some up for an oil change at the weekend. Will be visiting GSF instead I think.

3. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Bargain even at that price. Poured some into my engine recently, first time I'd used it. Lovely stuff to look at, wonderful golden-syrupy texture, never going back to anything else. And think of relative cost compared with e.g. a tank of fuel. :)

4. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Ours is 18.60 + vat which is still 21.86. :o Get mine at cost though![:$]

5. thegolfman Forum Member

Cant really complain when you put it like that...
    Why not get it mailorder from gsf, would it not still work out cheaper?

6. prof Forum Addict

see what opie oils can get

or buy a 33 litre barrell used to be about 50 from the stealers

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I did, :lol:. I think you'd need to be buying a few quids-worth of other stuff to make it worthwhile, but I was (always am!).

8. Hmmm well perhaps it becomes clear why VW have upped the price! I just phoned GSF and they no longer stock quantum oils. The guy said they have moved to total. Anyone know if total is any good?

Cheers

Dan

9. arienol Forum Member

I'm afraid he is talking *******s, I just bought some from my local GSF a couple of days ago. GSF's prices on Quantum oils have gone up as well, the increased them about 6-9 months ago I seem to remember.

10. Well, he said that there may be some stock left in the retail outlets but that they ran out in terms of mail order deliveries a few weeks ago.[:^(]

Dan

11. garfayliu Forum Member

I've been using Total Fully Synthetic, which is was GSF offered instead of Synta Gold. No problems and its been over 8k with engine, on second oil change.

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

For the daily oil burner, the red bottle diesel oil I buy from the dealers is cheaper than the same bottle from GSF.

But worse than that, it was 10, pre Xmas, now up to something like 14 (GSF ~ 18).

So for oil it seems that the dealer is the cheaper place to go.

13. redbaron Forum Member

hmm my local stealers had a special on quantum oils just after chrimbo, think they were 11.46 + VAT for 5 litres, should have bought some to flog to you guys!

Good old turbo diesels, run em on anything!

(has a cheap laugh at the valver owners, then remembers the fun he used to have in his 16v [:^(] )

14. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I think GSF only deliver if its only 50 don't they?

Was going to take a trip to GSF in Greenford 2moro for some oil/sump pan but if they dont do Synta anymore will probably just order sump from VW tbh.

15. Alexander Forum Member

If it's part no. 98002S at GSF, they seem to have it in stock at the mo, or am I looking at the wrong stuff??

16. AndrewF Forum Addict

just use duckhams 10w40 instead....i reckon its better than synta actually...plus, its green which is [8D] :lol:

17. arienol Forum Member

Green? You mean the bottle is green, or the actual oil???!

18. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Zackly what I wondered :lol:. I went for the 'hue' of the oil rather than the environmental interpretation, on the balance of probabilities as to what might be considered [8D] .

19. Jommanjo Forum Member

Last change, shamelessly used Halfords orange bottle stuff, 10w40 - same rate of consumption and didn't blacken any faster either. No probs so far. (touches wood rapido).

Would prefer Quantum Silver stuff with the Wynns additive - consumption just stopped! Pricey combo tho.

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

what was the additive?