020 gearbox on 1990 8v problems

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Jonsie, Apr 17, 2014.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it should spring back to the centre no problems, its all driven by a spring inside the gearbox so it may be soem of the bushes are tight and/or need lubing to resore normal service. if all lubed nice they may just need a bit of time to bed in

2. Marty's Dub Forum Member

The joint faces on the inners of the GTI's had a small recess in them to take the gasket where it mates to the flanges. I think the poverty specs had a flat face. I did notice when scouring for an image, that those gaskets are also available in a cork version. Obviously adhered in its place on a nice clean surface.

With regards to your linkage, it should spring back to the 3rd/4th gear position. Could be that now it's been rebushed things appear a little tighter. Shift rod bush, relay shaft and ball miss-aligned slightly? Theory http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/ForSale/ShiftLinkage.shtml

3. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

THanks for the reply guys.

I thought there should be some spring there. It springs back fine when I pull it out of gear, just not in the centre between gears. I am hoping that its a bit tight and needs to bed in a touch (just have to go for some back road driving with plenty gear changes I guess). I greased everything when I put it back together but the orange main shift rod bush was tight and wiped all the grease off the road as I slid it on haha. Maybe this one is a little tight right now hey.

Yeah I saw that grove in the cv so assumed that must be for the gasket. Still a bugger to fit lying on the floor under the car, hands covered in grease trying to keep the faces of the flange and joint clean whilst packed full of grease. Still, freshly greased and oiled gearboxes and joints, it will be worth it!

4. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

So, Friday I put the wheels on and the car on the ground after making sure all bolts are done up tight, coolant in, oil spot on and clutch cable adjusted. Went for a drive and so far all is good. The shifting after realigning it is super smooth and more positive with the weighted shaft, new gearbox oil seems to have done away with crunchy 1st and 2nd gears and fifth slots in sweetly.
    Clutch is pucker with no bangs, whines, grinds coming from anywhere so fingers crossed it is all back as should be. It feels so much better to shift after all this work I am stoked with that.

Of course it's a mk2 Jetta so not all plain sailing. She had a tantrum at sitting on stands for 2 months and now the central locking doesn't work, neither does the horn for some reason! Hey Ho, these cars are a never ending story of "improvements" with next on the list being suspension (seriously get sea sick), brakes, seals for windows, fix the locking fault, put my alloys on and sort some speakers in the doors.

Thanks for the help all who did, much appreciated