02A into Golf MK2

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Trev16v, Mar 13, 2005.

1. greg s Forum Member

To me, 150 sounds overpriced for that box.

2. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

you can improve the feel of a 02A by using a mk4 shifter,
    You get shorter changes with no mods as well. I still crunch the 02A when changing fast into 3rd but i used to do that with a 020 as well so not too bad. I prefer the stronger 02A now i cannot face another 020 rebuild in my garage

3. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Any ideas about the cause of the crunching as described above? Chap selling it is Rustynuts off here - he was very straight and honest about the box.

4. Rallye_Will Forum Member

Is this a straight fit, and do you use the MkIV cables aswell?

5. edc1 Forum Member

Ibiza cable might be a factory fit, and I have not read all the various fitting options, but note that in an Ibiza the clutch cable is a known problem. A stiff clutch or sticky cable is the end result.

6. Seizure Forum Member

To fit a MkIV set-up to an 02A you use all the components. That includes the MkIV Selctor, cables and the tower from on top of the box itself. Apparently it is a straight swap though.

Anyone know where you can get hold of 02A shifter weights that mount onto the gearbox? Do thay really make that much difference? I know a shift weight (read: metal bar attached to the shift rod) in my daily hack 16v Jetta made a real difference, but never played with the cable set-up.

There is also a mod to reduce the throw on the 02A shifter. Haven't looked into it myself yet, but may have to.

edc1 - Have you any first hand experience of the SEAT cable set-up?

7. edc1 Forum Member

I have an 02a in my Ibiza (standard set up), been driving it with the stiff clutch for months on end now. I'm 99% sure it will fix with a simple change of cable.

I'm not sure what causes the sticky cable whether it is the system itself or the routing of it. Having not looked at it I suspect it is the routing as the book time allowed to change it seems quite long.

You can also use the 02j B&M shortshift on the 02a.

8. darnold4 Forum Member

I'll be using a cable change box on my mk2. I already have one on my Passat. IMO It's not as "positive" in feel as the old rod box, but it is far smoother.

and if the cable box is substantially stronger and offers better clutch options, well I reckon that's the way you need to go, Trev, given your choice of powerplant!

9. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

30mins to change an ibiza 02A cable - dead easy - certainly no more than an hour

Rob

10. Trev16v

Any ideas on whether poorly aligned cables would cause the 'crunching' with the gearbox that I've been offered?

11. edc1 Forum Member

Have a look at the selector, was less than 10 in 2003

Rob, book time seems to be about 1.5 hours - not sure why so long [:s] I've already had it sorted once a couple years back [8(]

12. ViCk Forum Member

The 02A AYK box has similar gear speeds in 1st, 2nd and 3rd as the 020 2Y, but 4th and 5th are longer. Should be suitable for a 16vS.

13. Trev16v

Cool - what cars came fitted with the AYK originally then? (I'll try to find out on ETKA later as well).

If I knackered the input shaft on that scrappie gearbox then can it be replaced?

14. edc1 Forum Member

Corrado G60 Passat 16v - see post on first page ;)

15. Andy947 Forum Addict

I've got an AYH and an AYK box :)

16. steve r

steve r Forum Member

get the shift wieght for the 02A from VW, comes from the corrado, costs about 20 total as you also need to buy a special bolt and a nut. has similar effect to the mk3 shift wieght mod on the mk2, i've done it to my last 3 mk2's with cable change, including my track car that has an all smiles shifter fitted

quick shift mod for the 02A lever: group buy @ Dubforce.net, i've sent my spare lever off today to be modified and then fitted to my G60

or do it propperly and fit one of these:

[​IMG]
    Edited by: steve r

17. Seizure Forum Member

In answer, yes they can. But worn syncros can also give the same problem. It really is a bit of a gamble.

As for the ratios, surely you want them all to be slightly longer? Having low, low ratio gears will still give you the probs with wheel spining when starting off. If you had 4x4 however..... [:D] Correct gearbox selection boils down to finding one that suits the engine characteristics. If you're running a standard 140 bhp Valver lump, then the 2Y ratios may well be ideally suited. But hook that same box up to a more powerful engine and it'll live its life at the red line.

Oh, and what's with the Chinese woman thing in your sig?