02A Mk4 shifter setup - Which Cables?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by JaySteed606, Sep 23, 2009.

1. JaySteed606

JaySteed606 Forum Member

I've fitted a mk4 shifter and tower to my Jetta with a VR. Shifter fitted into the normal location but the MK4 cables are totally the wrong length, one too short, the other too long. After trawling through Vagcat the only cables I can see that look suitable are from a Polo. Also some of the cable brackets locate them on top of each other, the majority are side by side.

Can anyone shed any light?

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Pretty sure you need the bracket for the cables , as it's different on the mk4.

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Did the cables come complete with the shifter?

Not having done this myself, but having been around conversions, the rule of thumb seemed to be:

Mk1 Golf/Jetta = Mk3 Ibiza cables
    Mk2 Golf/Jetta = Mk4 Golf cables

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I'll have a look at the part numbers of my cables if it's any help? No pic of the bracket sorry.

[​IMG]

Mine's an O2J tower in an 02A with mk4 6 spd cables/shifter

5. JaySteed606

JaySteed606 Forum Member

Thanks for your help chaps, after a further trawl through Vagcat I found these two shifter types - 2000 Mk4.

[​IMG]

This is what I have, with the offset, side by side bracket type. It is just described as 5 & 6 speed shifter mechanism but with all the trans codes stated.

[​IMG]

I think this is what I need, decribed as shifter mechanism but trans codes shown.

I could order new cables but I like to know what was fitted to what.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I think the bottom one is the early type. pre 2000. May be best to get an 02A shifter.

7. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I have the MK4 shifter, and its the top one. As GVK says, the bracket that mounts onto the gearbox is different to the MK3 one too.

MK4 Shifter
    [​IMG]

MK3 Shifter
    [​IMG]
    MK3 Bracket
    [​IMG]

I`ve tried taking a pic of my MK4 bracket, but there are too many pipes in the way. With the MK4 one, the holes where the cables fit are offset, the `top` cable is about 60mm ? further from the bulkhead and instead of being stacked one of top of the other, they are side by side.

Basically, the one you described and the one in the top photo, that is the MK4 one I have too.

Hope that helps ?

8. JaySteed606

JaySteed606 Forum Member

Certainly any photos of installations gearbox end would be appreciated. I've got an 02A shifter but when I installed the 02J I removed the tunnel brackets underneath to get it to fit in the original position.

I originally tried the mk3 bracket but one cable was too short and ther other too long. Suspect i'll need the earlier 'stacked cable' bracket.

9. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I`ve tried, but there are too many pipes / stuff in the way at the moment.

This is the best I have
    [​IMG]

You can see that the cables are different lengths on the MK4 (top), compared to the MK3 (bottom) where the cables are almost the same. The bracket in the pic is the MK4 one too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2018
  10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Does This not help with mounting

11. JaySteed606

JaySteed606 Forum Member

Thanks for the pics Nige. I can understand why the Mk4 cables are so different to the Mk3 as they both start and end in pretty much the same place in vehicle.

I read the Scorian FAQ and it relates more to mounting the shifter than the cable connection to the gbox. I've fitted the shift without issue and it all lines up so i can use the original centre console.

Are the Beetle cables longer than the Golf? The issue was always the shorter Mk4 not reaching the shift tower.

12. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

beetle, should be the same as golf.

if it helps i took cables / shifter & tower out of a skoda (polo body)
    all the parts had 1J0 numbers (mk 4 golf based)
    the actual bracket i had didn't match my mounting points on the gearbox, to overcome this I hacked the bracket until it fitted & worked

involved shifter on the floor,cables in mounted to shifter everything in neutral position and weld as necessary!

13. JWYATT Forum Member

would this be R32 six speed shifter or i sea some mk4/bora are six speed ,

Jo:thumbup:

14. Admin Guest

Think GVK used an R32. its in his build somewhere? or It was a conversation i had with him a long time ago about it.

Did you replace the whole 02A tower with an 02J tower in the box? or just the top bit that the shifter connects to?

15. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Think I also read that GVK used an R32 tower or shifter, cant remember which.
    Doesn't really matter though, it's 5 speed so most will do.
    I priced up an 02J tower and it's expensive, you can pick them up 2nd hand.
    What are you having the problem with?

16. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Hard to get the towers SH, but i managesed to get one. Needs a bit of wok though.

The pins with the clips can come on later 5 speeds also. Bot i think the bowden cable clips fit on all cables on the mk4/A3/TT. Because you can get the TT short shift but it comes supplied with A later bowden cable clip that can replace the ball and socket type.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Earlier ball and socket Bowden Cable catch

[​IMG]

Later Bowden cable Catch 5/6 speed

[​IMG]

17. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

My tower came with the older ball/socket cables but i changed the weight to a TT item, This came with the newer clip type and i also bought a new arm with the later type so it matched, This also came with a new bowden connector.
    So an early tower converted to a new one:)

18. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Good to know that's possible. There are so many different part numbers for relay arms etc

19. Admin Guest

so just the weight was enough to convert the 02A to accept the 02J cables?

20. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

No, You need the Shift tower also