02j lsd

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Mick34123, Mar 13, 2012.

1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Thats a good find with the drawing. Would be good to see a comparison on the dimensions. Or i could do it myself when i get one.

2. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Excellent - all the critical dims we need TBH. Saved for later too :thumbup: Just need to find a 'cheap' 02A to stick in whilst the other is out.:)

Would have been better if the drawing was of the two halfs but should be enough to get by!

3. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Doh, CNC's.......
    Do it manually it won't take long, less time then you'd take programming a CNC for sure. It's a bit here and there thats all. It's pretty straight forward really. It's all down to the dimension between the 2 bearing seats.
    Then you have to machine the drive cups to locate into the diff.

4. Mick34123 Forum Member

Thanks Hotgolf:) you don't have any pics etc do you ? How much did you have to take off the faces ? Cheers

5. Hotgolf

I have some pics of the drive cups, but not the diff. The diff is the easy bit though. Just set it between centres and skim the faces where the bearings sit. Oh, the inside of the top housing will need fettling as the bolts holding the diff togethersit a little proud.
    I'll try and get some pics up to explain a little better.

6. Mick34123 Forum Member

Thanks very much will be much appreciated:thumbup:

7. VAG-S*** New Member

***!DEAD THREAD REVIVAL ALERT!***

Hey guys, very useful thread here! . . I think I too will soon be taking the plunge on an OBX LSD

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction to get these uprated bolts and washers from a UK supplier?

Any help with part numbers/suppliers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance

Lewis

8. VAG-S*** New Member

Right! . . So I've just ordered an OBX LSD from the states :thumbup:

And I think I've found a few suppliers where I can get hold of the right bits, just not sure of sizes etc... I'll wait till the diff turns up, take it apart and take some measurements from there.

I'll keep this post updated as to my findings/progress, in the mean while if anyone is able to tell me what width a standard diff is so I know what to get machined down to I'd be very grateful!

Thanks

Nige likes this.
  9. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Tell what it's cost you when delivered please :thumbup:
    Belviles and bolts cost peanuts from a good faster supplier
    Interested in this as accounts seem to imply there well made but lack the finishing touches
    Let us know what you think and post pictures please

10. VAG-S*** New Member

This is basically my understanding as well, lets hope that's the case! . .

So far it's cost me 335 including delivery... The guy was really cooperative though and only put $100 (60) on the invoice though ;) hopefully that'll help keep import tax's to a minimum!!!

Sirguydo likes this.
  11. VAG-S*** New Member

12. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Just a thought as its a American diff ???? The internals could be imperial bolts but probably not , think the Yanks are slowly moving on with metric stuff and independent suspension lol

13. Hotgolf

Thought I'd jump in quickly on this one asI have just rebuilt and fitted an OBX for someone.

The OBX 02a diff still has issues. 1 cup will go in, 1 won't. There's ways around this, but both mean machining to get it to fit. If you haven't got access to a lathe or can't engineer out a solution leave it alone and send it back. There's no room for the 2nd drive cup to push all the way in without turning the furthest end down so it can pass into the centre.
    Personally I just turned one into an 02j by fitting some inner thread caps and machining up a pair of bolt in drive cups.

The Belleville washers are still an issue. They are pressed rubbish and aren't even round. I bought a set of Quaifes as I know they are of the correct form and thickness. But on ringing quiafe I was first told some complete rubbish about the washers not being for pre-load, but to reduce rattling (wtf bunch of c0cks) and then they tried to charge me 11 postage on 6 washers!! In the end they were 18 delivered for the set.
    Allen heads were of better quality then I have seen in the past, although the machining finish isn't as nice as a more expensive unit.The distance between bearing centres is now correct and there wasn't any swarf hanging about lol

Overall still a bargain ifyou can get around the issues. Tshirt2K(Russ) had the bargain of a centuary with his Wavetrac OBX copy before they were forced to pull them off the market. If you can find one they fit perfectly out of the box. If not you're going to have to modify an 02a.

14. VAG-S*** New Member

Thanks for the detailed reply! . . I'm still eagerly awaiting mine to turn up from the states!

Luckily my neighbour has a lathe (legend), and he owes me a favour! . . Which is good seeing as I don't fancy paying 60 quid to send it back over the pond lol

Do excuse me though, you've lost me a little bit here. . . . I assume you mean I have to turn down the shaft on one of the OE drive shaft cups in some way? Also, my 02J drive shaft cups are bolt in anyway. Are you saying that the OBX doesn't have anything for these to bolt into out the box?

As for the belleville washers, I was well aware they're an issue. I didn't even phone Quaife as I just assumed they'd charge me out the ass for them! . . I was just going to take some measurements and order some from accuscrews.co.uk - But 18 quid I can most definitely deal with :thumbup: did you just ask for a set of washers for an 02J Quaife unit?

The bolts I was going to replace for high-tensile 12.9's anyway and I was gonna wizz round the inside with a dremel and neaten up some of the machining anyway.

When you talk about bearing centres, you saying at the unit actually fits in the box without machining now? . . Cos that would be handy!

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a competent enough mechanic but the first and last time I had a gear box apart was in college and I was probably stoned and/or staring out the window at all the hair and beauty girls... Either way defiantly wasn't paying attention! lol So all this is some what of a grey area, any help you can offer is muchly appreciated

Thanks, Lewis

15. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

You`d have thought after 3 years they`d have tweaked the manufacturing process so they diff`s fitted without needing end-user machining !

I`ll be following this with interest. No intention of buying one, but I`m still interested in what`s involved :thumbup:

16. VAG-S*** New Member

Yea, you'd think so wouldn't ay Nige!?

My bad hot golf, just realised you were talking about an 02A diff! . . Hence the confusion!? [:s]

I guess I'll just have to wait till the unit turns up and I've got my gearbox out to have a look and see what needs fettling.

On which note, I received a bill from parcel force for the import tax... Bloody 58 quid!? [:x] They obviously saw through the $100 invoice lol anyway, under 400 quid delivered still isn't so bad.

It's being delivered tomorrow so I shall keep you all posted! :thumbup:

17. Hotgolf

The 02j advertised turned out to be an 02a bolt in diff. The seller didn't have a clue as they are selling 02a's as 02j's.
    Yes the diff went in the box without altering it's overall width or milling the case to cleae the 12.9 bolts.

If you've ordered an 02j make sure they've sent the right one first, look up the bores for an M8 thread at the rear. If it has great, trial fit the cups first. Then measure between the diff bearing seats and compare to a std diff. If it's more than 1mm bigger it may not go in the box.

If you're ringing quaife just ask for VW 02a/j belleville washers they know what you're after :)
    The std bolts are 12.9's and looked fine. Years ago they looked like pressed rubbish, these new ones had a brand name on them.

If it's an 02a and you need an 02j, then you'll need to modify it. Nige you're bang on, but you get what you pay for I suppose.

18. VAG-S*** New Member

D(iff)-Day! . . Turned up today, and sure enough, it's an 02A diff :thumbd:

Still, hopefully it won't be too much bother to get it in a 02J box... So from what I understand here Hotgolf, do I just have to put thread caps in and use my normal 02J drive cups, or does one of the drive cups still need milling down?

If so, where the hell do I get these thread caps from and how do I go about fitting them? . . Is it something I can do my self?

Obviously going to replace the Belleville washers still! . . You're right though, it's already got 12.9 bolts in it, which is nice!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  19. VAG-S*** New Member

Took the opportunity to get the diff apart today and have a closer look at it inside, following a read of this post http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=520556&highlight=obx+lsd I was ready to have the dremel out to give the inside the once over, but actually everything looked a lot neater than the one in that post, no sharp edges, all nicely chamfered:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Which is good, saves me the job and means I can get to the pub sooner! . . :thumbup:
    Also the bolts look like decent quality 12.9's so they'll be staying

The belleville washers look SHOCKING though, literally look like they've been crudely pressed out of an old bean can! Will be on the phone to quaife some point this week to order some decent ones

Guess that means I just have to work out whether the bearing seats are the right width and where to get these thread caps from... So far so good though