02m conversion

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by 66dub, Feb 4, 2009.

1. 66dub Forum Member

Thinking of fitting a 6 speed O2M box to my mk2. The mk2 is a pre 90 (87 to be exact) gti 8v kjet model twin plug clocks

1: now this has electronic speedo so how do i get round this with my 16v mk2 clocks can i get them converted to electronic? or will my mech cable work?(also need to have more speed added to them they top out to easily)( i do have single plug 16s mk2, single 16s mk3, and twin 8v clocks so i can make something out of all of them if need be would rather send them off to get done)

2: are all cable change gearsticks the same i.e can i use a mk3 golf 5speed cable changer or do i need the 6speed one matched to gearbox?

3:can i used the seat cable clutch bracket etc for cable change clutch?

4: They appear to have the same outter cv joints as a mk3 does anyone know if the drive shafts are the same if not is the inner or outer diffrent?

5: from what i can tell off part websites ill need a starter motor as they are diffrent number but i cant find anything about flywheels or clutches i take it i just need the ones for the gearbox not the engine.

i think thats it for now
    cheers all

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

What engine are you using?

Use a matching late model shifter, the mk3 stuff is vague IMO. I use mk4 R32 shifter on my 5spd 02A

Doubt you can use seat cable clutch jobbie on it, but happy to be proved wrong if someone's done it.

C2 motorsport are making some 02M conversion brackets so you can use the mk2 type gearbox mounts so you don't have to fabricate a mounting onto the chassis. See here - price tba

http://mk2vr6.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6460

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  3. gillm

gillm ***** User

that mount looks good gary , got any pics of one fitted to a box or in a car ?

4. GVK

I don't but vr6will is soon 02ming his mk2 VR6 Turbo, so he might be able to take some pics.

It bolts to the top of the casing and drops down the back of the box to mate up to the normal mk2 type gearbox mount.

Same idea as this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  5. GVK

Anyone got any answers for this guys other questions?

6. AngryBob Forum Member

1. Use MK3 Golf Clocks

2. Use the one designed to work with the 02M.

3. No.

4. All completely different.

5. See 2.

7. Fenn Forum Member

as far as i can remember you need to shorten the driveshafts. you can use shortened mk2 driveshafts and transporter inner cv's to mate the to together.

i'd have a look at the ratios first as there effectively the same top speed as some of the 02A's but with an extra gear to go through.

8. Rallye_Will Forum Member

That mount that Gary has posted above is very similar to the Dutchdub one that I have in my Rallye.

I'm using shortened 02M shafts with MkIII VR outer CVs.

9. GVK

The pic is of the Dutchdub one.

10. 66dub Forum Member

h cheers for the replys. its going on an abf engine this will be getting some treatment to so will up the power a bit.

i cant remember the website but there was one with loads of gearboxs and showed the ratios and final drives etc and i worked out that the 02m box was the best suited for my needs....it will be getting a few ratios changed aswell

when you say shortend drive shafts you mean cut and reweld? or get some fabricated?ill be using mk3 outer cvs as im running mk3 bearing carriers

so ill be getting the box with the shifter to match and a pedal box with hydro clutch.

ill have to look at the speedo as i really do not want the mk3 clocks...might have to buy an electronic speedo and see if i can find someone to put it in the mk2 clocks...

as for the mounts im not to worried about them as i can make some of them up but do you not have to move the standard mk2 mount as it fouls the driveshafts?

11. Admin Guest

12. prof Forum Addict

if you are fitting the 02m i'd be fitting wide track at the same time, otherwise your short shaft will be pretty short, then the big mk4 outer cvs will fit into VR6 hubs

stephcassar found a solid flywheel and clutch that fits the 02m, definitely be worth it for an ABF application, and on 15"s the ratios are great

13. GVK

Only problem I can see is using a N/A ABF with an 02M?

02M boxes weigh a fooking ton, fine for a 1.8t or VR6 turbo/R32 conversion.

14. Admin Guest

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3476137

something like this would be great, though at the moment the exchange is rubbish[8(]

15. 66dub Forum Member

like i said abf will be getting modified ;)
    as for widetrack thats not an option really here

im going for narrowtrack 5stud 312mm with abs and modified 02m

all i really need to know the crack with driveshafts mk3 outer cvs
    just need inners and driveshafts everything else seems to be cleared up ..other than the speedo but im sure that can be sorted

16. 66dub Forum Member

is anyone on here running an 02m? if so could you tell me what the gearshifts are like i.e at 7K revs they still change ok?

17. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Does the electronic gearbox speedo sender unscrew in the middle like the 02a gearbox sender? If it does split it and use a Mk2 Golf 1300cc speedo cable and your std. 16v clocks.

18. 66dub Forum Member

19. Admin Guest

have a look round at sambos threads.

20. prof Forum Addict

you need the solid flywheel, have a look through stephcassars's thread, audi 80 or something

how can you narrow track 5 stud?