02m conversion

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by 66dub, Feb 4, 2009.

1. 66dub Forum Member

cool having a look now. cheers.

mk3 bearing carriers and hubs mk3 balljoint and a mounting plate

2. prof Forum Addict

geometry will be wrong without the wishbones,

3. 66dub Forum Member

is it not just the ball joint in a diffrent position on wishbones? ie further back

4. prof Forum Addict

think there is more to it than that, but sold all my bits, so can't compare at the mo

5. 66dub Forum Member

as far as im aware the bearing carriers are identical other that the balljoint hole i will have a look when i get back to garage

6. 66dub Forum Member

Right finally getting round to this after having to sort lots of 'surprise' issues out, anyway requirements have changed:

Still running abf i will be wanting to turbo/supercharge this possibly next summer

i do motorway miles so would like to be able to sit at 70-80at a lower rpm 2000 ish rpm

id like to use a cable change box for smoother changing

i would like to keep similar acceleration to my ACD box

Im staying narrow track 4 stud now on G60 bearing carriers

box doesn't need to be 6speed 02m but it is still appealing as i know it can cruise at motorway speed at good rpm and offer good acceleration (and the two output shafts is beneficial i think to fuel economy)

But i am open to suggestions as i have lost majority of my gearbox information i had saved due to having to format the hard drive,

i had seen somewhere on the internet for those who may be interested a converter box from electronic signal speedo to manual in development, not sure if its on sale yet or not.

all info is much appreciated

7. 66dub Forum Member

might be having to do this a bit sooner than planned as i think the clutch could be gong either that or it has got soaked in oil.

so whats everyone's views on the best gearbox to go for? need a really tall final gear for motorways.

its a standard abf at the moment with minor bits done throttle P&P etc

planning on mega squirt in near future and turbo or vr6+turbo or 20vt not sure what to do yet, but either way im going to be looking for more power come next summer. At least to 250bhp so would like a gearbox that either suits both situations or is a little much for the standard abf but will sit well with future.

cheers

also gearbox ant really my strong point so not too good at deciding what to look for. i do want to strip one down though and learn about them so the possibility for a fifth swap might not be a bad idea.

i did fancy the 02m with following ratios:

1: 1:3.818
    2: 1:2.105
    3: 1:1.345
    4: 1:0.972
    5: 1:0.970
    6: 1:0.806

final drive I: 3.238
    final drive II: 2.615

but not sure how well the abf would cope and also i cant find the code for that box anywhere i think its tsw or tzw something like that.

anyway as always any help much appreciated

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  8. 66dub Forum Member

i have JUST found this infomation stuffed in an engine interchange manual i knew i had it somewhere.

Stock width 5x100 02m g'box
    front suspension golf mk2, 5x100 hubs, ESC Tuning ES#1047, in G60 spindles
    Driveshafts left seat ibiza TDI, Part# 6Q0 407 271 J. Right Shortend 4motion, hollow type.
    Front brakes vr6 288, audi tt or bigger bolt on kits.

this was off a website so cannot vouche for its accuracy

but might help someone

9. 66dub Forum Member

10. thegave Forum Member

A full 02M setup just appeared on E38; box, shifter, mounts, shafts, starter...

I'm looking to upgrade the 020 in my 16vt to future proof it and I figured the easiest way would be to get as many parts from the same car as possible.

How much heavier is the 02M compared to 02A and are there any other advantages besides the extra gear or is the 02A swap much simpler?

11. Admin Guest

There is so much more to it with the 02M, its not a direct swap, like the 02A/02J

you will need a flywheel as the 02A doesn't fit. unless you run the STD dual mass.
    Thats expensive, plus the clutch to suit.

you'll need custom driveshafts to. plus a way of tuning the electric only speedo into a mechanical signal for the clocks.

12. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

^^^^

I think it is about 20kg heavier to!

Unless you going silly power i dont think you need 02M but if you must have it be prepared for quite a bit of work in order to fit one PROPERLY

13. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Also the box you are reffering to is poss a DRW diesel box

Big problem you may have is a big drop in revs between 1st and 2nd gear and will need alot of torque to pull nicelly through other gears

14. thegave Forum Member

OK that's what I wanted to know.

My ideal choice would be a G60 02A with VR6 1, 2 and FD. But again, laziness dictates I find a complete setup with ancillaries from a common donor, and those don't seem to appear often or at all.

15. Admin Guest

and for the cost, you could get the 6spd 02A kit from the Groupbuy:)

16. challice Forum Member

as said above, its heavy...

speak to mardi gras motorsport in silverstone if you want a smf an clutch kit as thats were mine was bought from but there not cheap...

also motorway for me drinks fuel, 70mph = 3krpm...

would have thought a tdi box would suit your needs better?...

17. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

If building 02M box for good gearing spread but you want it to rev low is use diesel box final drives and gears from petrol 02M-s

I have a 5 speed02M (rare) gear cluster going spare if its any good to you, coupled with diesel fd-s you will achieve what you are after, 5th should be good for 230+ mph at 8k revs