1.3 2e3 Wont Run!!

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by daveslp, Mar 31, 2009.

1. daveslp Forum Member

I tried WD40 on the springs but didnt make a difference.
    The choke butterfly is kinda stiff to rotate. I wonder is it the butterfly centre shaft that it rotates on dirty etc?
    When I press the accelerator, the choke does not move atall. the butterfly SHOULD close shouldnt it?
    Am I right in saying that the choke butterfly should spring close and as the temp rises, the pulldown unit will open it as nessesary?

Yeah, all spark components are very good. New Dizzy cap and rotor, plug leads are very good with no corrosion inside and a very tight connection. Plugs dont have many miles on them.

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Yeah, with a cold engine, setting the autochoke should close the flap completely. If this doesn't happen, you need to find out why not. Do bear in mind though that this only applies with a stone-cold engine.
    Then when cranking and immediately afterwards when the engine 'catches', the vacuum-controlled pulldown unit opens the choke-flap in two stages, firstly 2-3mm immediately, then with a small delay, a further 2-3mm. After this the pulldown unit has no further role. The rest of the opening of the choke flap is down to the heating of the bi-metal spring in the autochoke housing by electric heating (first) and by the coolant warming up.

Good luck! :)

3. daveslp Forum Member

Hi there EZ Pete,
    I finally got around to getting on here! It seems the choke pull down and return springs are shagged! I closed the choke butterfly by hand and it runs!!
    These Pierburg really are far too complicated for what they do and Im sick of this one so I bought myself a Weber on Ebay for 79!
    It should be here soon and should bring trouble free motoring with it. It came off a 1.6ltr mk2 golf so I'll just have to find out which jets I need to replace.

thanks for all your help and effort
    Dave

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

No probs Dave; as you may have gathered, I'm still learning about the 2e3s, sorry I couldn't fix it for you from afar. Well done for having a go at least. :)

The 32/34 DMTL isn't really the right carb for an unmodified 1.3, but I think others have fitted them and not had too many problems.