1.4 or 1.6 mk4?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by bula_82, Dec 9, 2007.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

It is fine if you want a decent trim level but arent too bothered about going fast. The turbo models not fast either.

2. seanlazyass Forum Member

Not sure about the fuel bills mate!

My 194bhp 2.0 16v mk2 has better fuel economy than my 1.6 mk4 [:s]

3. davidwort Forum Member

The 1.6 16v is a fine little car, perhaps not as good to drive as a focus, but a much much nicer cabin, 45mpg on a good run and about 35 around town, the 1.4 16v isn't bad either and the engine will pull it along OK.
    At group 5/6 I found the 1.6 16v very cheap to insure, fully comp with protected no claims for myself and wife for under 200 quid. (both around 35)
    True the gearboxes aren't great, but apart from being a little reluctant to go into first sometimes, mines done 110K with no nasties and is totally quiet. The standard 14" wheels and tyres are pretty awful for cornering but give a little more mpg than the 15 or 16" rims.
    Been a very reliable car with a few little niggles, couple of coilpacks (20 quid each) a PAS hose and a dirty EGR valve that stuck and caused idling problems. Other than that all it's had are plugs a cambelt/tensioners and front brake disks in 110K miles.

4. G-Man Forum Junkie

I think you might be 28 months late with your response :lol:

5. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

6. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Ive driven both, and tbh the 1.6 is a better all round car.

Dont go for the earlier ones, some tend to have alternator trouble. Ive had various friends, and heard a few storys about the alternators failing, leaving you stranded with a flat battery.
    The later models are fine!

As said above, a 1.9D wouldn't be that much more to insure. Do a few online quotes and compare the difference. Tesco.com seems to have the cheapest quotes atm!!! :thumbup: