1.6 GTD - Workhorse of the gods!

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by jronnquist, Apr 23, 2007.

1. jronnquist New Member

When you live 50 miles from the office, don't own a bank, don't want to drive a 1.1 petrol and still want to be able tell people you're doing work on your intercooled turbocharged car, you are left with only one choice, a Golf MK2 GTD!!

Two years ago I murdered my 1.9 TDI SE Audi A4 (the rare Kingfisher blue with full body kit!) on my way to work one Saturday morning. The take off was smooth enough but I landed upside down! With only 3rd party F&T cover I had to ask my wife for 200 and bought a 1.6 auto driver which broke down on the way home and had the fuel consumption of a Volvo globetrotter with fully loaded artic trailer in tow. So I bought a GTD engine off ebay and somehow got it in there. It did the trick but was never quite right. No rev counter, glow plug light or badges etc. When I saw a stock GTD up for grabs for 500 a few months later I ran off and bought it on my credit card.

I have since replaced the turbo (150 for reconditioned). The waste gate was stuck open bringing the 0-60 time up to about 2 minutes 30 seconds. I also used the opportunity to take the head off and replace the head gasket with the much more reliabe current VAG part, cam belt, etc. It now runs like a dream.....almost

The engine used to run between the halfway and 3/4 mark on the temp gauge. A couple of months ago I hit a deer and now it slowly heats up to about 1/3 mark and sits there, or so it says. I've had two water leaks in the last 72 hours. The first on the flange on the right side of the block and now the short rubber hose between the pump and (I think) the oil cooler. It runs from a large bore on the pump onto a small metal pipe about six inches to the right.

So I'm wondering what the hell happened on that fateful morning as the deer sprang out of nowhere and bounced off the right wing, taking my right headlight with it and putting a nasty dent in the wing. Is the thermostat stuck open? Was it stuck closed and is now opening properly? The drop in engine temp would not cause increased pressure in the cooling circuit, would it? Surely it would have the opposite effect?

Any suggestions would be great.

PS. How do I post pics here. The insert feature wants a URL? Do I have to put them online somewhere else first?

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

sounds awesome.

got pics of the A4? bet the missus was impressed with the clean take off ;)

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

run the engine from cold and feel the bottom rad hose, it should stay stone cold till the guage gets to about half way. If it gets lukewarm almost straight away the stat is missing or stuck open :)

5. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

I'd go with a thermostat problem too, do what rubjonny says above.
    The car sounds like a beast! :p

6. tallika_fan

tallika_fan Forum Member

I agree with you on the GTD workhorse statement, my mate is on his second. They got forever, currrently at 190k.

He's just had a new head gasket and had someone at a diesel tuning place fettle with the wastegate and someother thing too, pulls much better now!

And your question, i agree with the other replies, stat indeed.

7. jronnquist New Member

Well, I replaced the hissing hose this morning and things are back up and running. I didn't have the patience to mess around with the stat but will replace it soon. I actually replaced the water pump and stat not long ago so I'm a bit miffed. Needless to say a degree in gynaecology would have come in handy, or a three fingered hand (take my strong hand!), as some of the hoses and those annoying clips are a pain to get to. But I do love the MK2. It’s practically made of Lego and I’ve got three scrappies within a ten mile radius, all holding on average at least five MK2s. The GTD engine is also 100% analogue, which makes life a little easier.

I’ve thought about tuning the engine to get a little more spunk out of it, but have it on good authority that this is not really a great idea. It would seem that the block and head were designed for the non aspirated model and the turbo and intercooler were afterthoughts which already push the aging block/head to their limit. I think I read that the block is actually the MK1 oil burner with updates. But several listers on German Ebay do kits to up the turbo pressure and a replacement intercooler. What to do?

8. conor2469 Forum Member

The GTD engine can easily handle a boost and fuel increase. However it would be worth you while to get a boost gauge, EGT and a better intercooler.

9. Demons_UK New Member

Hey,

http://forum.performancevwmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=39886

I've got a GTD to, great cars and go pretty well for what they are :lol:

Been thinking about messing about with the turbo, will fit a front mounted intercooler first and then mess i expect, you can get good gains so I've heard ;)

10. jronnquist New Member

Did you buy it on ebay for about 500? I'm sure I saw it and bid on it but missed the end. If so, lucky you. How does it run?

11. Demons_UK New Member

Yes that was the one :p

Its great basically lol.

Runs really really well, lovely colour and stance and pulls like a train.

doesn't smoke alot unless you really give it some, then of course it will.

Thanks for bumping the price up anyways! ;)

12. jronnquist New Member

Dude, I totally hate you now. No, just kidding. That car was the bargain of the century. If I recall it had big bumpers and all. Does the glow plug indicater work?

13. conor2469 Forum Member

hey demon, I saw that car sold on ebay, lovely car, seeing that really made me pull the finger out and start work on my GTD.

Here it is just before I took it off the road:

[​IMG]

Now its at the side of the house awaiting a full respray and big bumpers.

14. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

i had one with power steering...very nice car, did over 180k
    and still sold it for 900 quid.
    one before used to overheat as soon as you hit traffic, reckon it was cracked head
    or something.

15. Demons_UK New Member

Ah, cool boys.

Good to see my car being abit of inspiration :p

Yeh, its got the lot, arch's lowered a fair way and big bumpers.

Yep, the glow plug indicator works, though i don't have a rev count =[

So, if anyone hears about a set going [rev counters goes to 5] then i'll like them very much.

Good to see your doing your GTD up mate, I love GTD's now and really do think there something special.

16. jronnquist New Member

Mine has a rev counter! It red lines at 4500. I think most oil burners do. Any cash I've had to blow on it so far has been taken up by routine crap like tyres and brakes, but I'm saving up a little stash now. Was thinking about putting some dosh into cosmetics, but I've decided it's time to work on performance instead. I'd rather have a road sleeper than a piece of eye candy at the moment. I'm starting with a FMIC. Was thinking about a scoop but the gains would be minimal and the work hard. I'm looking at the possibility of slapping a generic oblong one over the bottom half of the radiator. This and a decent induction kit should start seeing some results. I've got a thread I'll be updating with this project. After that A slight turbo pressure and fuel increase and I recon I could see about 100 horses. That would make me a very happy bunny.

17. shane d Forum Member

Gtd Beast

If you want performance from your gtd, You need a mercedes sprinter intercooler (or similar), A tuning pin for the injector pump and a boost pressure kit for the turbo. Contact wess.stefan@baerlocher.com He's a great bloke to deal with.

18. jronnquist New Member

[​IMG]Finally got some pics on photobucket. Sorry about these, I haven't cleaned the poor thing in a fortnight.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  19. jronnquist New Member

If you really want to do up your GTD, here's a goal to aim for. This guy really likes his GTD.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2007
  20. conor2469 Forum Member

Nice straight car you have there. What is the interior like?