1.8l 20v N/A

Discussion in 'Engines' started by RyanMac, Feb 4, 2011.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yep, never clapped eyes on these :thumbup:

2. RyanMac Forum Member

So do those mounts mean i can use an internal water pump block?

Has anyone heard of using the 2l16v ABF bottom end mated to the 20v head?

3. danster Forum Addict

Search Vortex for that one, called a 20 20 or something. You can do it with an ABF block but requires the oil holes in the rear of the head to be blocked off ands a few other tweaks.
    There are other ways of doing it though, stroke an ADR for example. Just use the 2.0 trigger wheel crank and 144m rods, need pistons modified though.
    Think I got all the stuff in the shed for that build. [:$]

But answering your question you can put an internal water pump engine in a mk1 with the mounts Jon P has put pics up of.

4. RyanMac Forum Member

Cheers for that. I ill have a look on vortex.

I take it the 144mm rods are longer? what engine are they out?

And do the pistons get machined down? So by longer rods and pistons that are machined down do you achieve roughly the same compression ratio?

5. danster Forum Addict

It depends what engine you use as a base. The short block 1.8 and 2.0 both use 144mm rods, the piston deck height is different to compensate for the longer stroke in the 2.0 engine.
    So for building a 2.0 short block 20v based on an ADR block, you could use the ABF trigger wheel crank, 144mm rods, and say a 9A or 6A piston with valve cutout for the centre inlet valve. You need to work out compression ratios too.