1.8t in mk3

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by mk3 Man, Aug 4, 2004.

1. mk3 Man Forum Member

hi, i own a mk3 golf, 1993 1.4 ryder, as you can see from the pics, it is well modified, all i lack now is a real engine, and i dont know where to go or what to do, do i go for a vr6 lump or a 1.8t, id rather a 1.8t, but if so, where can i get one, and who fits such things? any help would be much appreciated
    cheers

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

3. steved Forum Member

It would be cheaper to by mine.

4. S1MMA Forum Member

pm me how much yours is gong for steved

5. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

They are charging 4993.75 to fit a 1.8T into a either a MK1, MK2, MK3 etc (plus additional costs for brake upgrades [:s] )

Seems expensive to me. You could sell yours and buy an early MK4 1.8T for that price!

6. mk3 Man Forum Member

i rang scole engineering in diss, and they quoted me 2700 to fit 18t and gearbox and ecu and supply it, additional costs for brake upgrade etc!

7. H8SV8S Forum Member

Whether or not DD's price is a lot, I'm sure their work is the best, judging by the praise they get on here. There's plenty of sh1te engine swaps around so if you're doing one, get it done well.

8. prof Forum Addict

yeah you need to compare quotes directly, DD use custon stainless pipewrk and stuffmake sure anyone else you go too is giving you the same level of detail work

9. H8SV8S Forum Member

exactly

10. pauleyebrows New Member

buy a decent golf and leave it alone. If it aint broke dont fix it' dont mod the looks u only make yourself look stupid!

11. pauleyebrows New Member

sorry only my opinion but y mod a 1.4?

12. S1MMA Forum Member

cos its slow as sh1t?

Vr conversion is much more cost effective, but still isnt going to hold its money on resale - and insurance will be stupid.

Best thing is - to take your mods you like off, and buy a VR6, or a mk4 1.8T, cos they will hold a much high % of the money you spend on them. What brakes/suspension have you got on your car? You will need to upgrade there as well so budget for that also

13. MarkGolf Forum Member

Do a VR6 and do it yaself as its urine!
    Mines a 1.4, but I've got a 2.9 waiting to go in, just gotta finish some other bits and wait for some more parts to come first...

I've got a Corrado G60 brakes upfront, mk2 16v discs rear, VR6 coilovers, brake bias valve.. Its ready for the engine basically!

Money wasn't an issue and reasle value doesn't matter to me as I know I cud get what I wanted for it, but im never going to sell it, so do the engine conversion if your on the same line..If you do it yourself and be quite lucky, things will work out cheaper than you think! My engine cost me nothing at the end of the day due to lucky breaks covering costs, and due to me removing it from my corrado, i learnt enough to be able to put it back, u may wanna do the same with a written off Golf or something...
    Anyways, im blabbing on...

TBH, If I was going for a 20VT, I'd go to DD as its a bit more work to fit...Iwas guna go to DD for my VR6 sw*p too, but then I saw I cud do most myself, if anything needs doing by a pro, i'll trailer the car to them for sure!

14. S1MMA Forum Member

the difference is, that you have modded your car mark for a vr6 engine, you've prepared it for that one objective. Full brake conversion (front/rear)/VR6 coilovers arent exactly dirt cheap and the fact that you say your engine hardly cost you anything puts you in a different bracket to mk3 man.

If he's going to do all the work himself, and he's already got a well prepped mk3 (prepped for a VR lump) then why not do it? If he's asking where to get an engine from, and who can fit it (see his post) then its realistic to assume he cant perform an engine conversion himself so it will cost plenty of $$$.

If I could carry out an engine conversion myself it would obviously be much more worthwhile to do it as it would cost so much less, the same way if you can spray panels you can afford to have a mint paintwork car! Otherwise the cost usually outweighs everything (if you cant realistically afford it). what do you recon?

15. AlexB Forum Member

Midland VW charge 4k to put a 20vT, gearbox and a chip into a mk2 gti, so i doubt they'd be much more to fit it into yours.

still not as cheap as that other place you mentioned though! but usually, you get what you pay for.

16. LiamG Forum Member

I was thinking the same in a few years but im not gonna do it, even though ive got a mk2 gti break set up no point in wasting loadsa money on a conversion ill probably just buy a vr6 and swap everything over unless i find a cheap vr engine for sale and its not that hard to fit then obviously will do it, i know people round my area who has fitted 1.8T into mk2's and had no problems and i dont see why there would be any for my mk3.

If you want a new engine go for it ! dont listen to people who say just buy a mk4 1.8T because at the end of the day its your money and your car

17. Mikey Forum Member

Which Mk2's are they Liam as I'm interested in doing something similar myself :)

18. LiamG Forum Member

well is only 1 really, you know the mint green 1 ?

19. Mikey Forum Member

Didn't realise that was a 1.8T. Did he convert it himself?

20. Andy947 Forum Addict

what spec suspensiona nd brakes etc are fitted tot eh car??

Easiest MK3 base car for a 1.8T converison is the 16v, as you jus plonk the lump in and use the gearbox already there.