1.8t plug and play - QPE Engineering

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by oak_grun, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Seizure Forum Member

steering column? The original down pipe interferes with the rear engine bracket

Ive seen them somewhere but cant for the life of me remember where. Was on a website. Think it was American. They werent cheap though. Better off making a complete system or paying someone to do it.

To quote Corky Bell, Back pressure in an exhaust system is evil. He is referring specifically to turbo systems before someone jumps on my back. Im running a full 3 system on mine with a single rear silencer. I love it. You can hear the turbo whistling when cruising. Sounds like and IVECO truck. :) Not to noisy when giving it some either. As for the rear axle, it will go over with some jigging and poking. ;)

Why run a 3 down pipe into a 2.5 pipe? Doesnt make sense when you have gone through the hassle of avoiding the steering rack with a 3 pipe only to reduce it further back.

Sorta goes hand in hand that one. Unless you run the SEAT mech, but Ive heard bad things about it.

Ive got a G60 box in mine Love the ratios. I think the 16v box may be too short, but thats a personal thing and I havent driven a 1.8T with a Valver box so I cant really comment. Youll obviously need everything associated with the gearbox. Youll need a clutch and flywheel. The VR6 one will fit and is good for circa 250bhp. Get the pedal box and clutch cylinders from a Passat - Available from your local scrappy quite cheaply. There was a topic on here about Sprinter Van ICs and how they are quite inefficient, have a look for it. Sup to you though. You could also look at engine mounts, larger rad, twin rad fan set-up. Youll need all the pipes for plumbing in the water and air, air filter, heat shielding and you might also want to look at sorting the chassis out too if you havent already (suspension, ARBs, strut braces etc).

2. oak_grun Forum Member

big up to seizure!! that is one sweet motor!!!

can u hit 60 in 2nd in ur's - reason i'm asking is the g60's don't hit 60 in 2nd or is that just the rallyes??(4wd!!)

so a clutch and flywheel off a vr..no probs!
    pedal box from a passat - will any one do or does it have to be a specific one!!??

sorry for all the questions but i want to get as many bits together as possible before taking her off the road!!

cheers again guys!!

3. Seizure Forum Member

Not tried it but I don't think it does. What's the point? The turbo dies off at 5.5k rpm so just shift to third and feel it force you back into your seat again. :) I've never been a 0-60 person, and the times tell you nothing about the car. I'd much rather have an enjoyable car to drive out on the open road than an unfeasably long 2nd "pub chat" car that makes town drivin and regular pulling away a PITA.

Flywheel from the 02A box. The VR clutch will just take more torque and be a cheap and easy swap out. Any pedal box from an '88> Passat (not sure of the model code, is it a B3 or a B4??) will do, as long as it has a hydraulic clutch pedal. ;)

4. mk1Matt Forum Member

Anyone got a price on these QPE looms then?

5. mk2_20VT Forum Member

The ECU kit is 850+VAT if you send your harness to QPEng. If you do
    not have a harness then the cost is 1050+VAT for the kit and brand new
    VW harness.

More details on the QPEng website at:
    www.qpeng.co.uk
    including a conversion guide detailing all the parts required.
    Edited by: mk2_20VT

6. mk1. Forum Junkie

proberly work out cheaper going this route and getting a custom remap :)
    http://www.clubgti.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31889&KW=mk 1%2E

7. Seizure Forum Member

I did some investigative work on your behalf. My G60 'box does 30 mph at 3100rpm. The engine redlines at 6800, so in theory it should do about 68-70 mph ish at redline not taking into account wind resistance, rolling resistance etc etc etc.

8. Seizure Forum Member

P.S That's a shed load of money for management. Might as well go for some after market stuff you can tweak yourself.

9. oak_grun Forum Member

wot u suggest going for some aftermarket management such as dta or emerald even???would this not cost more due to having it mapped... etc etc ????

wot management are you running seizure???? i gotta compliment you on ur supa dupa dub!! once again!! it rocks dude!!! and all ur own work...i just wish i had the expertise to do the same! [:$] :clap:

10. Andy947 Forum Addict

If you do some research into it i think you will find that you do not need to have the same bore for the full length, 3" is overkill from what i have read.

Yes, but its seldom mentioned and only later do people realise what exactly is required to fit the cable box.

11. Seizure Forum Member

I thought DTA came with 1 free mapping session? Emerald comes with a basic map that you can tweak, so if you're willing to have a play you could "Real World" tune it.

REVO'd audi management. It's my daily driver, so I wanted it to run well when cold and have all the diagnostic stuff.

Andy - Yeah, 3" may be over kill, but the turbo outlet is 3" so why reduce it? As I made the system myself it would have cost the same to make a 2.5" system anyway. Plus side is, if I upgrade the turbo I need only make a new downpipe. [:D]

12. mk2_20VT Forum Member

Of course there are other after market solutions available, but the whole
    point of the plug and play kit is for people who dont have the time and
    skill to map their own ECU and dont want to get involved in modifying
    their own loom. You are literally up and running in a couple of hours. A
    revo chip costs 500 which makes the QPE kit seem good VFM
    considering its fully re programable.

13. Seizure Forum Member

Fair point. Still a lot of money though, however simple it is. I bought a complete 225 TT lump for the same price as the QPENG management with the "send your own loom in" option.

14. Davs Forum Member

just read through the QPeng conversion guide. Appears to me that they used the mk2 rod change box.

interesting considering everybody else says to use the 02A cable change box.
    Edited by: Davs

15. oak_grun Forum Member

REVO'd audi management. It's my daily driver, so I wanted it to run well when cold and have all the diagnostic stuff.

i've got a complete donor car (with keys etc) and originally wanted to use the standard management.....so i couild then revo it like urself....did u do all the electrics urself????

if not, could u reccomend someone to do it??? or i don't suppose to fancy underatking another conversion??? ;)

i've had a few quotes from so called vw speacilst who want £3 - £4k to do the conversion - i feel this is way over the odds as im supplying everything needed!!this was using audi management or as much from the audi as possible! [:x]

any advice / comments / personal experiences appriciated!!

16. Davs Forum Member

should be 4k supplied and fitted!!

4k labour is a little OTT considering its not that hard once you have a few conversions.

17. oak_grun Forum Member

thats wot i was thinking davs...im supplying the engine - basically a complete a3......£4k should be supplied and fitted!!

u going to be pluming it in urself once you get round to doing ur conversion or get someone else to do it for ya??

any reccomendations on someone plumbing it in for me? - at a reasonable price of course!!

18. Davs Forum Member

well, plumbing the engine in isnt really that difficult if you're competent enough to remove the original engine.

This thread has got me a little confused however, because the Pug ecu route seems really good but i'd like more information on it.

Do you just need to change the plugs on the wiring to fit the 20v engine and join up the power wires to suit the existing engine loom coming out the mk2 fuse box?
    Then it needs mapping. Who can do that to a Pug ecu?

The QPeng route is also a good way, because it gives you about 210brake as soon as you start it from a AGU engine.

19. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Apparently its just as easy to use DTA. 3 wires, thats it!

20. Seizure Forum Member

Yes I did. But I'm running the FULL Audi S3 loom so that made it pretty simple.

LOL!! Unfortunately it's one of those jobs that's not hugely difficult but time consuming. So to pay someone else to do it is gonna cost cash. I don't have the space or time at the moment, sorry.

The only advice I'd give is do it yourself. If you've got all the bits then it should be pretty straight forward. Save the money you would have spent on labour and plough that into the car in the form of goodies and go faster bits.

I'd say 3-4K is over priced, but I'm sure I've read about someone that paid 8.5k for a 286 bhp S3 lump to be put in a Polo. And he supplied the engine too!! [:[]

Edited by: Seizure