1.8T to 2.0T Coil Pack Conversion

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Richard Mk2, Jun 5, 2012.

1. foxyjay Forum Member

Jon, I was under the impression that the loom was same as original and the loom was optional (+recommended) due to heat degradation issues.

I've replaced the coil loom on my BAM for this reason.........the insulation was, erm, not insulating any more!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it was for anyone going from the early type coil agu coils i was aiming that to, as plugs are pretty different as you can see above :)

3. foxyjay Forum Member

Yes, sorry you're right - I missed that. [8(]

4. priceygti Forum Member

I have still been considering this upgrade but atm funds are depleted and having just been made redundant again i can't see me doing this for a while but any and all info on this matter would be great

John, can you pm a list of part numbers for what i would need to make my own loom for the early type? as i may look into this.

Cheers
    Mark

5. rubjonny

i think its just the above, though you'll have to solder the pins direct to your loom (or replacement coilpack wiring) maybe someone can confirm what size wire you need :)

if you could get fresh pins that would be better but i havent found a source as of yet, though of course you would need a pro crimp tool

6. foxyjay Forum Member

A better bet would be to buy the repair wires from VW - look at ETKA in the separate electrical section - look for the 4-pin connector series and choose the repair wires.
    The suffix usually indicates whether tin or gold plate (from memory one is "A" and the other has no suffix).
    The repair wires are yellow colour only, and are about 30cm long with a pre-crimped terminal at each end - so you cut the wire and get two connectors and ~15cm of wire per part number.

The wires to the coil packs are probably 1.5 or 2.0 sq.mm for the power and ground, with the signal being 0.5 or 1.0 sq.mm.

7. rubjonny

yeah thats what the party number is for above, the repair wires with gold pins. i dont know what size are required i just assumed 2.5mm. if you can get the pins on their own and have a pro tool the result will look neater

8. foxyjay Forum Member

Jon I just realised my previous post went like this........."dear grandmother.......here's how you suck eggs......"

Wasn't thinking, d'oh!

9. priceygti Forum Member

surely the male/female plugs are available on their own as thats all IE have done is make an adaptor loom about 20cm long

10. rubjonny

:lol:

pricey: yes the part number for the male plug for the coilpacks is as above, but unfortunatly there is no mating connector for the AGU plug (at least in ETKA) so making up an adaptor loom isnt possible.

one option would be to get the ecu loom from a later MK4/5/6 then you can pull the coilpack wires out of it. then fit it into your AGU loom, the pins you need for the ecu/t10/14a and the coil ingitery thingies are all easily available as they're standard junior/power/mini timer :)

11. priceygti Forum Member

i will keep an eye out for a later spec mk4 in the local scrappy's and see where i can go from there

cheers John

12. foxyjay Forum Member

I will check what ive got left from the three looms i have.
    If any use to someone you can have what you need.

13. foxyjay Forum Member

Managed to pick up a new set of coil packs - 07K 905 715 F which are black and 2.0 FSi.
    Will need to check out some colder plugs now........

14. foxyjay Forum Member

Here's a demonstration of how the 2.0 FSi coil packs look in comparison to the stock coil packs.

[​IMG]

15. richgit Forum Junkie

Why don't more people ditch the coilpacks altogether and go for a single coil and HT leads? That's what I've got and never had a problem. I'm running DTA management, I guess it depends what your setup is?

[​IMG]

16. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Because, if you use a factory system, running sequential spark, you need to use a COP matched to the ECU dwell call or matched to an ignitor.

For aftermarket, running a wasted spark system, yes you can use Sagem or Bosch units, no problem :thumbup:

17. rallye1.8t Forum Member

vw do a replacement coilpack harness which you could order then cut off agu plugs and join new harness
    remembering to also join wires where the amplifier is/was.

wont have to mess with buying the expensive yellow wire and plugs., much more factory.

18. c11rgd New Member

Whats the Difference in the 1.8T and 2.0TFSi from the same year. The coilpacks are both Red, i spoke to Awesome GTi today and the helpful chap there said that the 2.0 ones are longer and so you will need the bolt downs, where as the 1.8T from the same year and red coilpacks are a perfect fit but just a bit more expensive.

Is there actually any difference?> and worth the punt! or shall i just go with ARZ?