168bhp from a 1.4 FSI engine... For real!

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Rob.gti, Aug 18, 2005.

1. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

You two are right, it's got 120bhp per litre which isn't bad for a production car to be honest considering the 225 1.8t is 125bhp per litre

2. Golden Forum Junkie

I believe Porsche were the first to fit a turbo/supercharger system but that was on a race car.

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I read a story once, in a mag probably Evo.

They used to get road car blocks and leave them outside to rust before machining them, apparently it makes the block stronger.
    Was a quote from Paul Rosche saying he used to ask the guys to pee on them to speed up the process. :)

Edited by: GVK

4. matt d Forum Member

I read that Gary.
    That was when motorsport was interesting to people like us [:D]

The 1.4 fsi is awfull in standard form. The missus had one in a polo. Good on fuel though but then why not buy a diesel? [:s]
    they are Probably just using that engine to develop an idea before using it on other engines in the range

5. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

Yes it's true they used to pee on the M10 engine blocks :clap:

6. octane Forum Junkie

the way i see it is, its good power from a little engine but so was the polog40 and look how many ponies you can get from that with some tweaking.

It'le be interesting to see what one of these engines slapped in a polo with uprated gubbins will be like [:D]

7. LregG

I'm lead to believe that VW had to effectively de-tune the G40 to match the power to weight of the flagship model of the time, the mk2 golf 16v (136bhp per ton)

They achieved this by having a restriction on the airbox intake, a mesh "guard" in the intercooler outlet, wedges on the throttle butterfly and having small diameter tracks on the inlet manifold. Get rid of all of these and you are looking at 135-140bhp (162-165 bhp per ton which is G60 terratory)

Maybe i'm wrong but that would make sense figure wise [:-B] I'll get my coat :lol:

8. nwmlarge Forum Member

i'd still say that todays "hot hatches" are getting decidely luke warm with the possible exception of the clio.

the 1.4 turbo should be a proper quick car with no creature comforts just the basic ncap 2 rated crash protection and a seat of the pants ride deserving of the GT badge.

annoys me when technology is wasted

9. LregG

Exactly that nwmlarge

Just to illustrate a point> A proper hot hatch to me means 0-60 in 7.3secs, back in the day this was achievable by a R5 turbo 1.4 with 134bhp, these days you need a 1.8t 180bhp seat ibiza to match that 0-60 time.

Cars used to be exactly that cars and not the mobile living rooms they are becoming today
    Edited by: LregG

10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

That's us showing our age I think Matt, and you Andy :lol:

11. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member