16V G60 conversion

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Trev16v, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Nope, over 100 now...... :lol:

They do go cheap though, you just have to wait for the right time..... I've seen them go for around 40 euros a few times. Worth keeping an eye out....

2. G6DUB Forum Member

Ok the answer to why, there work is very impressive, I woulnd't trust Jabba seen far to many leaking chargers, it is running 280bhp just from the BBM charger the rest on the car including the zorst is standard at the minute!

Yes I did get charged by customes but I expected too, but only for the value of the new goods, BBM can save you a bit on the tax but only if you pay by cheque not Visa and they post the proper invoice seperate ;)

3. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

G6DUB,

Excellent stuff. I just got a reply today actually after emailing them about taxes and so on. John Betz actually offered to lower the cost of the way bill to compensate for the customs charges I'd have to pay.

They certainly must be damn good if you're prepared to ship your charger over to them in the US. Can't argue with a recommendation like that!

So what setup are you actually running? Is it a G60 16V using the BBM integration kit as well?

Trev

4. G6DUB Forum Member

As my car is a Golf Limited it is standard to have a 16v G60 and so I didn't need the kit as all the other bits i.e. fuel reg injectors etc... are already the right ones so I didn't need to change them.

However I did do this for my Rallye I had it 8v still but did the fuel kit chip cam and all and it was fun!

Yes I mainly deal with John I do know that he is away after today untill the 9th of Feb but I think Justin is quite good too.

By all means mention me when next talking to them just say Gary with the Limiteds from england and he will know who you are talking about.

5. Trev16v

Well, I have the money to order the BBM kit now. But I'm getting cold feet :lol:

Anyway, one question. To get the G60 parts I need I have considered getting a whole G60 engine. On the other hand, many of the bits I'd need wouldn't be all that expensive to get separately off German eBay.

What about the G60 wiring loom? Is it really difficult to obtain one of these separately? I expect it probably is.

How about making a loom from scratch, maybe starting with a standard Digifant one? Electronics is my thing and I'm not scared of the thought of making one up, but I have no idea how much the cost of connectors and things from VAG would amount to.

6. Trev16v

Duh - just realised that TSC has already answered my questions about the wiring loom long ago in the other thread. Thank you, TSC!

7. Trev16v

Another thing that I would greatly appreciate some advice on.

My 16V engine has just over 100K on the clock. I recently fitted a reconditioned cylinder head with new tappets, etc. Being the strange spod I am, I've barely driven the car and kept it garaged since doing that.

Anyway getting to the point. If I go ahead with this project (G60 16V conversion) is it going to be necessary, or highly sensible, for me to perform any kind of reconditioning on the KR block? Any advice please?

8. G40 EM Forum Member

cheapest ive seen 'em on usa egay and german egay is about 100, then you got shippin ontop of that....i think thats a really good price, ive been asking around for ages on uk forums etc and keep gettin told anything from 200 right upto 350!!!!!!!

the one dean got was 140, and he picked it up from leicester/peterborough area which is not far from notts. it didnt make its reserve on egay so i emailed the guy and made him an offer!

the s2 pistons were another egay bargain!!!!

the g60 charger deans got was done at jabba, the serial numbers that they give them when they rebuild them is stamped on it, no. 7!!! back in the day when they took there time and did quality work!

am now looking for a injector rail.....anyone? lol
    Edited by: G40 EM

9. ausgolfer Forum Member

Bahn Brenner have nice billet 16v G60 fuel rails for sale, for a not unreasonable $165 USD. ;)

10. Trev16v

Em,

What are you intending to do about things like the TB adaptor pipe, alternator brackets and so on? This is why I'm considering the $1600 kit, because you get all of this stuff.

11. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Scirocco 42mm inlet manifolds are easy to get hold of - they cost about 150

the 50mm ones however are very hard to find in the uk - most people who have them want to hold on to them

that bahn brenner billet fuel rail seems like a reasonable price at the current exchange rate - but you can always get one made up...

12. prof Forum Addict

or use a 1.8T one they reckon they fit on vortex

13. G40 EM Forum Member

a 1.8T one would be much easier to get hold of would it not?
    Edited by: G40 EM

14. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

that is an interesting idea....

15. Trev16v

If you go for the BBM kit then you get the fuel rail in the package.

In relative terms the fuel rail is not an expensive part to get. Even the cool looking BBM one, available as a separate item, is very reasonable I think. And I have seen some similar items on German eBay from other manufacturers.

Availability of key components like the inlet manifold, fuel rail, standard G60 components and so on doesn't worry me because they're obviously out there. What concerns me more, however, are other parts included in the BBM kit that you'd otherwise have to get manufactured yourself. Such as the TB elbow, alternator brackets, and everything else.

If you're handy at fabricating your own metalwork then you could save a fortune I guess.

Cheers,

Trev
    Edited by: Trev16v

16. King Kwik

King Kwik Forum Member

1.8T fuel rail only fits S2 inlet manifold
    Lee

17. It fits the standard 16v manifold too, if you cut the runners off.

18. King Kwik

King Kwik Forum Member

I thuoght it might but i've never seen a cut down 16v manifold
    Lee

19. G40 EM Forum Member

do u mean cut the runners of the fuel rail or inlet?

(apologies,im female)

20. Off the inlet - you weld the plenum onto the base of the inlet, like this -

[​IMG]