16v Turbo Help for Newbee

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by boom, Jul 6, 2006.

1. boom New Member

Hi.

I own a 1991 Golf GTI 16v and want to go down the route of turbo charging. Now i have the chance to buy a turbo manifold, T25 turbo, G60 ECU, Wiring loom and intercooler. Basically i want to know what i would need to complete the project engine wise. I am planing to install a 2.0ABF engine and run it turbocharged. Has anyone an idea of what bhp it would be pushing out?

Thanks for your time

Any replies much appreciaited!

2. rajmirch Forum Member

hi Boom, welcome to the 16vt club (almost)

with that spec your a bit limited due to the G60 ECU but I'd say aprox 220/260 depending on turbo/injectors etc.

Which manifold are you using cos I dont know of many that will take a T25?

3. boom New Member

it is a turbo technics manifold. what else would i need to get around the 220 hp mark?

4. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

The turbo technics ones are for 4 bolt turbo's, i thought t-25's were 3? Will certainly take a t3 or t4/hybrid.

5. rajmirch Forum Member

the T2/25 are also 4 bolt, but they are a comletely different size to T3 and T4.

the turbo technics ones wont take a T3 unless the mani has been modified or it's a T3 inlet on a T2 compressor housing.

6. md20vt Forum Member

the last 2 i have built have used a t/t manifold, u will get 220 easy if u use the right management, that means no k jet.

7. rajmirch Forum Member

is that you mike?? :)

8. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

Hmmm, the turbo technics one i had on my 8v took a t3? Odd... i know its a different manifold mind

9. md20vt Forum Member

yes raj its me. The 16v tt manifold uses a t2 flange. I ran a t28 on my corrado on my mk1 im using a t25

10. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

my TT mani is T25 flange, so T28 fits, but adaptor needed for T3.. (which I made for mine)
    still sat on the shelf mind you... one of those projects that never was.

11. taz6673 New Member

i've been told that a t3 will bolt straight on!
    i'm also going down the turbo technics route on my valver but struggling to find a kit anywhere after missing out on the last 2 i found!!
    stil unsure of what management system to run as been informed of running mk3 injection system!

12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The G60 management will plug straight in if its a post 1990 but will not be suitably mapped for you engine. The rev limiter will cut in at 6200 revs (this is normally 100-300 revs short of where these motors (ABF, KR) make peak power). The spark tables will be for an 8V supercharger motor ( has better breathing low down in the rev range) and will need optimising for a 16v as would the fuel maps. The 16v STD motor just is different in how it breaths through the rev range if you were to compare it with an 8v STD motor. This is asssuming its a STD G60 ECU and its on a decompressioned ABF (stacked metal mk4 2.0 gaskets or spacers) running STD cams but with uprated injectors like from off a Saab 2.3 with red 36lb squirters. On a decompressoned KR, on stacked gaskets, we got one of these motors to pull 230BHP @ 5900 and 230lbft @from 3500 revs running 16psi on a T3 Huffer. The ABF would have been a bit more torqier and tad bit more powerful. And this was with a STD G60 ECU so it was never running right in the first place.
    I would suggest going the megasquirt V3 Spark 'n Squirt extra route as this is a cheap DIY unit that would allow for future hardware modifications.
    As to turbo sizes if you have a T25 manifold you can use a T28 turbo from off a SR20DET N14 Sunny/Pulser GTiR or S13 200SX .This will be good for up to 260BHP of airflow.
    The key to this is getting the right hardware built (engine and gearbox) and then the right controller (ECU). A reliable 240-260 or more is very achievable.

Toyotec
    2.0 16vT
    Built Megasquirt V3

13. altern8 Forum Junkie

14. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

you turbo guys are crazy, makes my 8v sound like a toy car. keep up the good work though, it sounds good.

15. slippy Forum Member

As a collective, what money am i looking at if i was to try and get bits for this conversion together, what parts do i require, the car is a standard KR 16v, parts/info, etc to me please???

16. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Forum Member

17. Polo Classic Forum Member

I've sold a Gt28rs to a guy whos going to use it on his KR with S2 internals. Will be using Digifant managment with one of my chips and 440cc injectors

18. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Join the club ! Rajmirch, (Borat voice) HIGH FIVE!!!!!!! :lol:

Anyway, i'm currently using a t25 on a tt manifold and i'm running 222bhp at 13psi. Probably won't be able to run much more than this now without changing the turbo though. Stealthwagon on here used to run 260 odd bhp from a t25/t28 hybrid iirc.

Badger 5, have you got any pics of this adapter you made?

19. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I'm selling the ex-Stealth Racing turbo technics car if you're interested. PM for more info.

I've actually bought that manifold of Badger5 recently. I'm going to run a T25 turbo, so don't need the flange, if anyone wants it.
    I'll try and take a pic of it tomorrow for you. It's still attached to the manifold.

I think I met you (TurbTech) at the Stealth Rolling road day in December. I had the above care on the rollers and made 224bhp.

20. altern8 Forum Junkie

that would be good to get a few pics of the manifold