1991 Golf 2 GTi G60 Gearbox upgrade from O2A to O2J Help needed

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Carlos Santiago, Mar 4, 2024.

1. Carlos Santiago New Member

Hello guys,

I own a 1991 Golf 2 G60 (A/C car but took it out) for almost 10 years now and ive modded alot of things along the years and time has come to change or upgrade the gearbox.

Im not a mechanic but do love it and would like to have some help in choosing the right box for my car. The car is not standard and has the following mods:

Bartek 2.0 Stroker kit
    XXL Intercooler
    Schrick cams asymetric 286ยบ (not sure on the degrees but think its this)
    Zetec Headers
    Custom fuel rail with bigger injectors 440 if im not mistaken
    Vibratecnics engine mounts and a few Powerflex upgrades too
    KW V3
    Full stainless exhaust with central muffler and final muffler 68mm
    KN box filter
    AEM fuel air wideband
    Wheels 15in x 8"
    Fuel regulator

I might be missing other stuff but i think this is enough for the discussion. The car has been tuned with a chip and came out with 215hp and 298nm but im planning to get a standalone ECU and redo the engine loom for better numbers and better reliability.

Ive been reading alot about the gearbox swap from O2A to O2J but im still a bit unsure what gearing to use. My gearbox is the O2A but i suspect it has different gearing from the original spec since 5th gear cuts off at around 230 km/hr which ive heard is pretty low and should be closer to 250 km/hr or more that it cuts off 5th. Im not a big fan of top speed but more 0-200 km/hr range. I plan on installing a Diff with the new gearbox.

From reading forums and stuff online ive gathered that gearing wise i should look for:

1st - 4th from VR6
    5th from a TDi
    Final drive from G60

Ive also read about the CTN box but im confused its a 02A or OJ2?
    Also any thoughts about the gearing? What would you guys go for?

Thanks alot and hope you guys can give me some help on this :)

2. Carlos Santiago New Member

Forgot to mention the car is 2WD

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

02A or J makes no difference, they're basically the same and you can change the shifter tower either way to 'convert' one to the other for want of a better word. the only time you need to worry about the box origins is when you're shopping for LSD and looking at mixing & matching the internals, as bits and bobs inside them changed a bit over the years. that and if you're shopping for driveshaft flanges, as the very early 02a are clip in, later 02a and 02j are bolt in.

But yeah, if you're just looking for a c0omplete gearbox it doesnt matter, all you care about is the ratios inside. which is the hard part, you need to carefully choose to match your engine output and also your preferences. hopefully this will help as a starting point:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/vw-audi-seat-skoda-fwd-gearbox-codes-and-ratios.115595/

use that plus the handy dandy ratio calculator here:
    http://www.scirocco.org/gears/

then head scratching to figure out what rpm you want to be at in each gear vs road speed matched up to your engine torque curves, plus your main use case for the car etc etc

4. BRI

bri Forum Member

I've a CTN box in my engine modded Corrado G60 and i think it works very well ,Its an O2A box but i have an 02J shifter on it.

5. Carlos Santiago New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys gonna look into this and get back with updates and pics when the work starts. Im still at the RnD phase of it ahahah.

My gearbox is a O2A but im almost sure it is not original inside because the car cuts out at 230km/hr and in 5th gear im at around 4000 (+/-) rpm at 120 km/hr so i think its been changed by a previous owner.

Anyway of checking the gears when taking apart the box? is there a reference on them?

Thanks alot for the help guys [:D][:D]

6. rubjonny

you can count the teeth :)

if you use the calculator above you can work it out as well roughly based on your speed/rpm in each gear :thumbup:

7. Carlos Santiago New Member

The code on my Gearbox is this: 1 ATX 17059

So it should be from 17 of May 1999?

8. rubjonny

ATX is a passat code, 17th may 89 more likely as it was an 89-90 year gearbox (though they probably kept making them after, but co0ntinuing production up to 99 seems a bit late?)

FD - 3.94
    1 - 3.78
    2 - 2.12
    3 - 1.34
    4 - 0.97
    5 - 0.80

9. Carlos Santiago New Member

ATX Passat 89/90 3.778 2.118 1.345 0.97 0.795 3.944

i got this info for it.

Maybe its not the original from this engine. I bought the car and it hadn't run in for 6-7years so i suspect maybe it was changed in its past by someone. dunno

my car is from July 1991

10. Carlos Santiago New Member

Which components from the Shift Tower of the Polo 6n2 1.4 tdi do i need to buy for my gearbox (A2O ATX) do i need? is it plug and play on the Golf or do i need to cut or drill holes in the tunnel section?

11. rubjonny

Main thing is gear stick, the cables and gearbox you can use from MK4. If the gear stick comes with the cables they may or may not be better than the mk4 but it depends.on the donor. The 1.6 GTI lupo cables would possibly be a bit off? But a caddy TDI set fit fine (it's what I have on mine)

Fitment wise as you have a golf G60 it goes straight on no modifications required :)

You only have an issue on normal 2wd golf shell the brackets are a bit narrow so need opening out

12. Carlos Santiago New Member

I found a Polo 6N2 1.4tdi nearby with all the parts should i just buy the whole assembly gearbox and shift tower with the cables? You mean mk4 Golf?

Does the 5th gear of this Polo work too for my gearbox? or do i need to know the gearbox code first?

13. rubjonny

I'm not sure off hand if it's an 02j type box in those and what code it is, if it's cheap enough though why not. Otherwise just get the gearstick, cable bracket and cables then you've got the choice to use the cables or not

14. Carlos Santiago New Member

When you say from the Mk4 the tower cables etc its from mk4 Golf any of them? Im a bit confused. The problem is they wont sell me the brackets that is on top and bottom of the gearbox for the cables unless i buy the whole gearbox.

Basically this is what i need right? In terms of the cables tower and brackets? As an example.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/02j-shift-tower-and-shift-box-cables.9525921/

15. rubjonny

any post 99-ish mk4 golf (and other similar platform such as 5 speed audi tt, beetle etc) 5 speed 02J tower, cables and cable bracket will do. if they wont sell the polo cable bracket separate dont worry about it the golf one will do you fine, all you really need from the polo is the gearstick assembly tbh

16. rubjonny

just be aware the early 02J shifter pre-99 is basically the same as 02a so you dont want that stuff. the style in the vortex link is what you're looking for :thumbup:

17. Carlos Santiago New Member

Hey guys so I haven't been able to get that car for parts. Does anyone know part numbers for the shift tower cables and the other accessories to make the upgrade on my O2A? Im going to do this first and after worry about the gearbox i have and upgrade the internals.

18. Carlos Santiago New Member

I found a 02J with this code on the Gearbox:
    O2J 301 107 C

From Beetle 2.0 from year 2000

Does it work?

i also found this, if it works its perfect i think:

https://srotas.pt/product/s28814337262/

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
  19. rubjonny

you need the code off the top of the box to tell if its any good, theres a picture in the gearbox ratio page I linked to earlier which shows you where to look :)

the shifter you found there is for a MK4 Golf, which isnt straight swap into a MK2, you need to cut all the brackets out and drill holes etc.

the direct fit polo shifter looks like this:
    20170730_110944.jpg

more info here including part numbers:
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...allye-corrado-mk3-with-no-tunnel-mods.193257/

note theres another part number up top which is different depending on the donor it came from, I suspect its for the complete stick+cable assembly:
    20170730_111030.jpg

20. Carlos Santiago New Member

Thanks alot mate, youve been a great help [:D]

I think im getting somewhere now, sorry its so much info its hard to understand everything.

I got another question about the link you sent they talk about this:

if brackets are cut out of tunnel:
    6N0 803 875 - NLA
    6N0 803 876 - NLA

Do i need these too or i can use the ones there?

Fabrication for me is no problem since I work in Classic Car Restorations and I work with 2 excellent metal workers/fabricators that do all the bodywork (aluminium cars included) for classic cars and are true artisans and should be able to mock up brackets or so if its not super complicated. So if i need to invent something i think it shouldn't be an issue but would rather get the OEM part if possible.