1997 Audi A4 1.9TDi

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by shaz8389, Feb 28, 2012.

1. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Just picked one up as a bargain. It's been to the moon and back at 228k on the clock but drives like it's new due to some money spent keeping it in top shape by the previous owner.

I'm told the turbo could do with a de-coke, how tricky a job is this?

Also, is there anything worth doing? I generally want the MPGs to be honest. EGR delete worth my time?

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Start by measuring what MPG you're getting now, so you can compare it with any changes later!

EGR blank is easy - buy blanking plates and gaskets from ebay. The more time consuming bit is if you clean all the gunge out of the inlet manifold and cylinder head ports as well. You can turn down the EGR rate using VAGCOM.

I haven't heard of de-coking turbos, but I'm pretty new to diseasels.

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Yeah I'm unsure about it too. It drives well and is doing about 47mpg at the moment which I think is great considering I'm heavy footed and in stop start traffic on the way to work.

My only real intention is maintenance and economy right now.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

You need to get to grips with VAGCOM on this modern sheeite - start with a scan for fault codes and timing check. 47 sounds about right for heavy traffic.

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Scanned it before and after test drive, all clear. It's actually really nice to drive considering the mileage too. I can't knock 47mpg in traffic really, its about the same as my mum's brand new Volvo. Feels quite agile to drive for its size too. I think its lighter than it looks, the book says 1240kg. Obviously weight drop will help it but I don't fancy that route.

6. Dubnutter Forum Member

I wouldnt of thought a turbo decoke would be nessesary. Its only VNT's that suffer with cokeing up. WG turbo's can be cleaned with a good old fashioned 'Italian tune up'. But to be honest they dont tend to clog.

Usual route with a tdi when bought is a good service, followed by a good dose or two of a strong fuel system cleaner, bg44 is good. One dose before you fit a new filter, and one after (so any fuel tank crud gets washed into the old filter first).

As said, turn down the egr operation using vagcom until you can blank the egr off completely, this will allow you to keep the egr physically working so the ecu does not throw a fit, and also means you can make sure no gases leaking into the inlet.

Remove the inlet (easy on a audi) and clean it out, along with as much soot and oil you can hoom out of the inlet ports as possible. If you can be bothered, it sometimes helps to whip off the intercooler and flush this out with petrol too.

Remove the cat and knock out all the guts until its nice and free flowing (you dont need this for an mot etc).

Then take the car for a good blast with a final dose of fuel treatment (dont use a harsh treatment like bg44 after you have done a full service, it has no active lubricants, its purely a strong cleaner, so it will remove any deposits from the pump, millers is best because it will help lubricate the pump as it cleans)

For the cost of a service and some of your own man hours, i think you will be happy with the improvements.

7. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Ahhh a diesel expert. I'm guessing with a general tune up I'll enjoy some extra torques as well as a bit improvement on economy.

Is it correct that this engine is similar to the late Passat and Golf engines?

8. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

An Audi A4 owner now eh Shaz :o

Have you sold the Mk2 then ? :thumbup:

9. m1keh Forum Member

Similar just mounted 90 degrees differently with different parts bolted on to accomodate the rotation.

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Is it a 90 or 110 bhp version (or other)? What engine code?

11. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

110bhp. Think its an AHU engine.

Golf is off the road with a spinning wishbone bolt....

Lol. It just hates me so its in the naughty corner.

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

I think an AHU is a 90 bhp - AFN maybe? Should tell you on the documentation.

13. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

Ahu is 90bhp, keep 400 rpm either side of peak torque at 1900rpm for nippy but economical driving ;)

14. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Might be a different code, car isnt a slug so not fussed on the speed right now. Can always get a map later down the line.

15. Dubnutter Forum Member

If its afn it will be vnt, in which case i would buy some egr foam cleaner and dump that into the inlet to free up the variable blades.

Diesels dont like the sub 2000 rpm potter around, they get coaked up and loose power.

Blow all the cobwebs out of the turbo ;)

16. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

So EGR foam and give it a good run?

17. Dubnutter Forum Member

Im not an expert by the way, i can point to a few on here that know far more than me, i just get by on what i know. :) im an expert in learning lol

18. Dubnutter Forum Member

Yeah, wynns do a good one, idle the car and spray it into the inlet of the turbo housing, very short burst every 5 seconds for about 10 bursts. This will loosen any big bits. Then rev the engine to 1500 rpm (no higher or the turbo will spin too fast) and spray the rest of the can in 5 secon bursts every 10 seconds.

Should do the trick.

19. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

So I remove the boost pipe and do as above, then take it for a run to shake the cobwebs out?

Excuse the moon questions, I'm very clueless with diesel compared to petrol.

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

Start by checking which engine you actually have, rather than going on our guesses, maybe?