2.0 cross flow 8V

Discussion in '8-valve' started by badboi1, Jul 17, 2007.

1. badboi1 Forum Member

Good morning guys,

I am still getting up to speed on who to buy parts from over here. Can someone please tel me where I can get a 2lt 8V cross flow engine from. the type used on the beetle I think. I have some really sick plans for this engine, but I can't seem to find anyone who supplies them. VW is out of the freaking question with their prices.

cheers

Peter

2. VRSteve Forum Member

If you look at the group buys you will see a thread for 'Man in the Shed' heads .... the guy who does the heads has the x-flow heads in stock and you can put it straight onto a 2E bottom end.

3. VRSteve Forum Member

If you look at the group buys you will see a thread for 'Man in the Shed' heads .... the guy who does the heads has the x-flow heads in stock and you can put it straight onto a 2E bottom end which are readily available on here or the 'bay etc

4. badboi1 Forum Member

Cheers thanks I will check it out,

5. prof Forum Addict

Willvr6 built one, throttle bodies, cams, shed head, and it made the same power as......GVKs 300 9a

so make sure you are spending wisely

6. VRSteve Forum Member

Thats a really good shout Prof ...

... i looked at it and i would say its not worth it unless ur gonna be running forced induction and then u may as well use a 1.8t lump and have everything readily available.

7. badboi1 Forum Member

cool, where can I find the specs on GVK's 9a? I am planning a balanced high reving motor, with itbs and serious cams. I have built a similar motor back in SA before and got very very good results. However having said that, that particular motor is not sort oafter and is very cheap to get hold of. I know the yanks love supercharging them. I have had turbo 16's and am looking for something diferant now. Hence my reason for this choice.

I appreciate the advice, I am always open to sugestions! so what ever you are thinking let me have it!

8. VRSteve Forum Member

willvr6 was heavily modified with big cams TBs etc and it didnt produce what he expected.

what is the engine going in??? what are you going to be using it for???

9. badboi1 Forum Member

Coincedetaly, what power output was he getting from his rig, what itb's was he running, was he running a swirl tank system? What ecu setup etc. My idea is to build a longblock setup reving to about 9500rpm. Sound strange? This is pretty much what I had 2 years ago, it was wicked!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ncw8iS2nhv0&mode=related&search=

10. VRSteve Forum Member

im hoping at this point will is going to come along and join in!!!

im not that clued up on his engine, i think it was producing around 180 ish bhp but i cant quite remember. few other guys on here will no more than i do. (ive now given up on my 2.0 8v project [:^(] )

I must say having watched that video then go for it, build something special and see what can be done.

... and check out that 'man in the shed head' you'll see the quality speaks for itself.

11. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the 'man' didnt have any xflow heads when i went. The head is off a 1.6 beetle and golf, Im unsure if the code, so you may have to find one yourself.

if you going to be revving it that high i would look at a 16v engine. They are more inclined to rev.

12. VRSteve Forum Member

pretty sure the code is APK that you want.

13. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

that sounds about right, I knew it began with an A and had a K init somewhere.

14. prof Forum Addict

for stupid high revs why would you want an 8v? GVKs engine was a 9a 2.0 16v with a ported head, that made 185 bhp approx at 7k

and it does all seem a pointless exercise, unless you have to stick to 2.0L and 8v for a motorsport category?

Be cheaper to fit a Vtec engine in all honesty, if you want revs, one of the forum members runs one in a mk1 golf here

if you just want power, then the usual vr6/1.8t swaps would be a better move

15. VRSteve Forum Member

totally agree i spent thousands on engine and box for my 2.0 8v and my new vr6 destroys it with no mods at all

16. badboi1 Forum Member

Thank sprof, I appreciate the info, I have had 2lt 16V's before. I am looking for something diferant. The motor I am looking for came out of an american spec bora/jetta. It was a 2lt long block with a cross flow head. I am not sure if this motor was ever offered here?

I know 2lt 16s work well with itbs. As for the high revs, why do M3's rev to 8500 running itbs. Same reason really. It just really helps you get the potetial of the itbs. The mk1 in the vid revs to 8500 if I remember corectly, I stand corrected, so don't take that as gospel. Besides, everyone has 2lt 16v or 1.8t or VR6. I am a person who just likes to take the road less traveled!

I have asked my brother to post my haynes manual out, that has the motor part number. So hopefuly I will get that soon.

17. prof Forum Addict

still don't understand why you would want one? a slower yet more expensive engine? just to be different? wouldn't you prefer 300bhp for the same outlay?

remember, different isn't always good

[​IMG]

18. badboi1 Forum Member

I am not quite sure what the picture is supposed to symbolise, but I will take it to have an incocent meaning.

My setup, that was similar to that motor in the mk1 running throttle boddies, blue printed balanced. High compression pistons, longer stroke, so that it reved better. My car was putting out 198 kw(265bhp). Normaly aspirated, I know turbo cars that arn't getting that.

To be honest, I could have got more power out of it, but I sold the car shortley after building, to buy another car, that turned out to be a total waste of time. I understand your opinion, and it does have merit. However, being an engineer I enjoy challenges. I still have a setup in mind that I am almost certain will surpase my last attempt. It is about personal choice, that motor in a mk1, will reem a much more potent heavier setup! see the vid below. It not always just about the bhp, its about how much of it you can use. Power to weight ratio's are my interest.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lOdHX41qzX0

natraly aspirated 1.8 8VVVVV kicking m5's back side. It was running ITB's as you can hear. with a huge cam amoung other things.

19. Phil. Forum Junkie

:lol: Dwaine Dibley!!

20. prof Forum Addict

long stroke won't help it rev

265bhp is rather a lot, must be a similar spec to RobTs mighty motor then? what cams did you run? sorry was it a 265bhp 8v? bit confused here