2.0 cross flow 8V

Discussion in '8-valve' started by badboi1, Jul 17, 2007.

1. badboi1 Forum Member

I agree, I have no clue about heads, and cams intakes ect. Thats why I had it all profesionaly built. I don't know the exact mixture of the race fuel, but it was potent obviousley.

I know we are all pationate about cars, thats why we are all here. My old car reved liked a banshee! I only reved to 8500rpm but it could actualy go further. It was the most awesome feeling, throttle response was instentanios. The car just seemed to never run out of power. It was not like a turbo car that the boost comes in at 3500(depending on your turbo of course) and all hell breaks loose until rev limiter. The car just reved freeley. Massive torque steer, but then again it was in a Mk1 golf. The best way to sum it up, it was just fluid power. Acceleration wasnt as hard as turbo car coming on boost, but not that far off. Which made it brilliant for all round racing. To be honest I used it realy for track days, so I am not to sure how it would have been for drag racing.

I don't have pictures here in the UK, they are back home. The dyno sheets are with the car, I have been trying to get hold of friends and family to get some for evidance. I have had no luck so far. I sold the car 1 year before I moved to the uk.

The bottom line is, I know what was achieved. Like rob t said the honda guys have been doing it for ages. We on the VW side, tend to spend more time with turbo cars than NA cars, fact. So it is no wonder that people are not used to that power beeing achieved from an NA car.

Remeber gents, what about bikes??????? What about a 4 stroke hyabusa 1300? 175BHP from a 1300?????????? SO come one guys, don't tell me its impossible to get 265 from 2000 motor.
    Sure they rev really high? but hasnt that been my point all along? You dont see bikes battling to accelrate? Or idling very iraticaly.

All I am saying is don't be narrow minded. I really am sorry I did not make pdf files of those dyno sheets, but then I never figured I would need them.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2007
  2. badboi1 Forum Member

Follow this link guys jurno's are asking the engineers at BMW why use high reving engines to get torque and performance. This just proves exactly what I have been trying to say.

http://www.stevecarter.com/m3bmw.htm

Q & A with the head of the M Division

Q: Where did BMW get the concept of using high rev engines?

A. We feel that high revs is the best way to extract every bit of potential from an engine. In F1 engines, their engines rev as high as 18000rpm, and that is the kind of performance that we are looking and aiming for; that is the origin of M-Power's high revving engine. The all new designed engine [the M3 engine] will be able to reach as high as 8000rpm, which is the highest revving production engine. These high revving engines are extremely rare. You can hardly find them before, even race cars do not have such high redlines until a few years ago.

Q. You always mention torque is very important, how is BMW managing to make torque?

A. Torque is a car's acceleration power. The more torque there is, the faster it accelerates. A high revving engine with precise internals will produce a high torque car. When you drive the new M3, you will be able to feel the power pushing you from your seat, it's really fun to drive. This feeling is not just something a typical salesman can ever tell you.

Q. Did you say horsepower is not the only measurement for acceleration?

A. Of course. You have to understand there are many ways of producing high [horse]power engines. Some car manufacturers decide to use large displacement engines, but they only have low end and no top end or even midrange. The drawback of these large displacement engines is that they are heavy, bulky, not fuel efficient, and extremely not practical. Other companies will choose to use smaller engines with higher revs, which is what M-Power is doing here. Our goal is to make smaller precise engines to lower emissions/fuel consumption. We see that as the general trend in racecars in the future.

Q. Is turbo a good way of making power/torque ?

A. A few companies like to use turbos to produce more power/torque. However, just like large displacement engines, turbos only produce low end power/torque. Besides, powerful turbo charged engines will consume a lot of fuel, more than you can imagine, and their performance will not really catch up to the performance of high revving NA engines.