2.0 NA Audi Sport - 20V OEM?

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by WAUOla, Nov 17, 2012.

1. LUPOCHARGED

LUPOCHARGED Paid Member Paid Member

same question as above;)

2. LUPOCHARGED

Ok fed up of waiting for a reply so the best thing for me to do is find out for myself and i will to the best of my knowledge high light any mishaps on the way. I recently purchased a complete bottom end for the sum of 150.00 pounds. Part number on this item is 06B 103 019N Engine code ALT. While stripping down said block i've already hit 2 stumbling blocks. Number 1, part number 06A 121 031C which is the water pump is about 3x the size of your normal 1.8T waterpump so my metal impeller water for said 1.8T will not fit:(. Number 2. to fit my rear engine mount bracket only the bottom 2 holes line up even though i will have to burr the holes out on the bracket as the bolts are 2x wider:(. Any help or info would be appreciated

3. LUPOCHARGED

To the left we have the ALT waterpump and to the right we have the 1.8T waterpump.[​IMG].

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  4. LUPOCHARGED

Ok as i cant seem to find some input regarding what can be and can't be done to a ALT engine block i'm gonna add my pennies worth with a step by step of what i will be doing to one and we will see the out come. I will say this will be the final engine upgrade to go in the Lupo if all goes to plan.Ebay bargain for the sum of 150 of her majesty's finest. Took the water pump of and this was the outcome.[​IMG].Then thinking that a 1.8T and a ALT had the same water pump as this picture shows ALT is 3x the size.[​IMG].I then removed the sump and oilpump balance shafts. [​IMG].[​IMG].
    Now at this stage i'm in two minds as what to do. (1)Leave engine as OEM and get everything lighten and balanced. (2) 83mm bore JE pistons 144mm Scat conrods and 95.5mm Tdi crankshaft lighten and balanced within an inch of it's life. (3) 83mm bore JE pistons 144mm scat rods and 86.4mm crankshaft? Answers on a post card please:idea:

5. WAUOla Forum Member

Cerips: Shorte stroke can offer more RPMs, and that is perhaps why it is posted as an option?

Thanks for the sharing ChargedLupo!

I'll toss in some random information here, as there are a couple of Audi A4 S2000 cars in Norway, and they are a mix of parts and donors to other projects.
    Luckily for us, it gives some nice-to-know output. From one of these guys, now building an ultra lightweight Audi S2 coup at sub 900kg with the basis in a streetgoing 2.0 20V engine, I get these quotes:
    I have asked if his going to run this with an OEM crankshaft or not.

6. LUPOCHARGED

Thank you thank you its a shame the feed back is not a fruitful as i thought it would be anyway i will give it till the end of this week just incase more feed back is added to this thread. Until then have a good week forum members.:thumbup:

7. LUPOCHARGED

Just came across two more hiccups:( but it ain't gonna put me off. bracket for alternator, aircon and power steering even though the holes for the studs are in the same location due to the water pump housing been 3 times the size iv'e had to get some aluminium washers made up(6 ALUMINIUM WASHERS 24mmOD x 10mmID x 10mm depth) so they will raise the bracket away from the water pump housing.[​IMG].This is a before shot.And after shot.[​IMG].
    Also the rear engine mount bracket doesn't line up with the 4 holes on the rear of the block. This will involve a little bit more work to adapt.[​IMG].[​IMG].
    Anyone got any ideas? And no to hanging engine on the chassis rails.

8. WAUOla Forum Member

You're using the engine mounts of a 1.8/1.8T block on the 2.0 20V?

9. LUPOCHARGED

Hi yes i'm going to adapt the engine mount from a 1.8T to the rear of the block, i'm also using 1.8T alternator,power steering and aircon bracket with modification on the front.

10. LUPOCHARGED

Ok aluminium spacers turned up today. Got to say for a Ebay find they are good quality.[​IMG][​IMG].
    Fitted spacers between cylinder block and bracket and it clears the water pump housing:thumbup:.[​IMG].

11. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Any progress?

12. LUPOCHARGED

ALT block now has forged 95.5mm Tdi crankshaft weighing 13.4kg, 144mm scat forged rods just waiting for supertech stroker pistons to arrive from the USA.[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].

13. AjVR Forum Member

Have you got any info on the ALT cylinder head in terms of intake and exhaust valve sizes?

14. LUPOCHARGED

Only info i have is ALT cylinder head is big port

15. LUPOCHARGED

Finally i can start my all aluminium engine build using oem alloy block ALT code which has been honed and prepped for 82.5mm stroker pistons. Crankshaft has also been checked over and micro polished. I have decided to go with a Tdi 95.5mm stroke. And so far things are going to plan.[​IMG]. These are the later Tdi cranks. Forged and light.Sitting in ALT engine block.[​IMG]. Secured with bearing caps.[​IMG]. Acl main and rod bearings.Main bearings well lubricated.[​IMG][​IMG]. Crankshaft in place secured with ARP bolts fitted to caps.[​IMG]. Then torqued to spec.[​IMG].Pistons should be here tomorrow.

16. WAUOla Forum Member

Nice update, thanks. This really should be something of the more futuristic build of VAG parts for powerful 2L setups. I know Hohenester runs 1.9TDI cranks in 16V (tall?)block in their 375/550hp builds.

Funny to see the weight not too far off my short stroker. :)

17. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

ALT valves are 27 mm inlets and 30 mm outlet ( same as on other 1.8T / 20V engines)

You can remove the balance shafts and keep only the oilpump
    Lower the oil pickup point by ca 20mm
    However there might be need to make a solid plate to strenghten the aloy block

18. LUPOCHARGED

Pistons got collected yesterday morning i was not gonna wait any longer.[​IMG].They even come with the cut out to clear the oil squirters .[​IMG].Now to commence with the pistons to rods nightmare.[​IMG].So far so good.

19. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Looking good.

What cams/valves are you using also what induction system/size?

20. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Are you removing the balance shafts altogether? Only reason I ask is that they may provide some girdle like rigidity if left there, or at least the bare casings.

Worth a thought,

Brian,