2 pack laquer at home - now with flatting trouble!!!

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by bigman_10, Sep 13, 2008.

1. bigman_10 Forum Member

no more north than south and no more east than wes
    hey guys firstly newbie here and secondly i've searched so don't worry!

i've just bought some base coat and clear coat as i'm ready to finish my home respray, problem is i asked the guy in the shop about the best laquer and i ended up coming out with 2 pack, how dangerous is this for use at home in a double garage with only a halfords double filter mask? I think i might have to take it back, plus it cost a bomb! i spent 230 on 3 litres of base coat 5 litres of 2pk thinners, 5 litres of laquer and 2.5 litres of hardener!!!

Any help welcome guys as its got me worrying!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  2. ihaveajetta Forum Member

nothing to worry about just keep ya mask on and make sure its suitable for the paint you are using.

try to get the overspray out as quick as you can maybe invest in some extraction and keep your mask on as long as possible.

laquer creates alot of overspray and you probably wont be able to see until it clears in there haha

3. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I generally use a single filter mask(isocyanide canister) with plenty of ventilation in my garage. You'll be fine. where a paper suit though. If you don't you'll feel the hairs start to harden up lol.

4. bigman_10 Forum Member

cheers guys do you think i've bought too much laquer stuff though, i was thinking about 4-5 coats of laquer for a full exerior respray of a mk2 golf, I've taken all the panels and windows out, and primered up to the inner seals? do you think 3-4 litres of fully mixed laquer would be enough?

oh yeah and about ventialtion how should i aid this? i dont really want to open the garage door?

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

you're sposed to wear a air fed respirator

id maybe suggest getting at least a proper spraying respirator and a paper suit...and dont expose yourself to the fumes anymore than you need to....although ive known people at work to spray it without a mask and they dont keel over on the spot lol

it is far better clearcoat , i wouldnt take it back

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

you only need 2 coats of 2k clear...3 coats tops

should be about right

7. bigman_10 Forum Member

ok thanks for that pigbladder you seem to know your stuff as your name came up in every spraying post i searched:lol:! i think i wont take it back then just see if they'll refund some of it as i've got too much imo. 5 litres of 2 pack laquer + 5 litres of 2 pack thinner (3 of that is for the 3 litres of base coat i bought !) + 2.5 litres of hardener? i could do a couple of cars with this surely?

8. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah i was a painter for 16ys until a while back

might be a bit much clearcoat you got there lol

9. bigman_10 Forum Member

had a sneaky idea that i'd over spent! oh well my dads respraying soon so i'll split it with him!

What sort of air fed mask should i be looking for? and do they need to be connected to an external air supply, and would another compressor and tank suffice?

would this be ok?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wilson-air-fe...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

sorry about all the questions but i'd rather ask than die of lung cancer ;) !

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  10. Golf Nut Pete

Golf Nut Pete Forum Member

yeah an air fed mask would be the best solution although they can be quite expensive, for a one time use it may not be worth buying an new one, a none air fed mask can do the job, as said above you aint gonna drop dead on the spot, its long term exposure that does the damage. check bay for some second hand ones. That wilson one is good, its copy of a devlbiss one.

They connect up to the compressor and the spray gun connects to the belt of the mask so you can use the same compressor if the compressor can cope running it and a spraygun together.
    Yes it needs an external air supply, dont keep the compresor in the garage as it will only pump the fumes from garage into your mask, put the compressor outside and feed the line into the garage.

11. bigman_10 Forum Member

ok i think my neighbrs got a spare compressr so i'd be able to borrow that for the mask i think. my comp isnt huge so i doubt it would take both. are there any specifics to look out for when buying an air fed mask?

12. pigbladder Forum Addict

idealy a full face shield thats air fed is what you want

13. lufbramatt Forum Member

yea cant help but emphasise dont get it on your skin and dont breathe it in, isocyanides are really dodgy, a freind of mine got really ill (flu like symptoms for about 8 weeks) after using the wrong sort of mask and not covering his arms up when he sprayed, even though he was doing it outside (using flip paint to spray loudspeaker boxes).

as far as i know you cant really get a proper filter for 2-pack but i may be wrong, certainly ive spoken to guys in bodyshops who would only ever use an air fed mask as 2-pack in the long term can really screw you up.

its awesome stuff though, sets really hard and is in a whole different league in terms of shinyness and toughness to any 1pack stuff you can get.

14. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah its true...air fed is the only proper filter

although a good painters filter mask would be better than a b&q dust mask lol

15. bigman_10 Forum Member

so if i want to live and be a happy dude for the rest of my life air fed! BUT for the sake of only using 2 pack once would i be ok if i used my dual filter mask if i cover the rest of my face and eyes up? as i've just got the impression that the damage is from repeated use? i'm not going to be in contact with it for that long as i'll get out the garage as soon as i've finished a coat and this is the only time i'll need an air fed mask? Air fed masks seem to be going for 60 second hand, its money i'd spend but only if it was absolutely necessary!

sorry for being a pain guys:lol:

16. Tall Paul Forum Member

I've heard damp handkerchiefs can act as a satisfactory barrier.

17. bigman_10 Forum Member

:thumbup: sorted!

18. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

My dad knew this old painter, who didn't believe in masks etc, his only respirater the roll up fags he smoked. He used to wash his hands with thinners :o

Dunno what happened to him, he made a cracking job of an old Polo of mine many years ago :lol:

19. ihaveajetta Forum Member

i bet his lungs etc were ruined lol i do regulary wash my hands with thinners tho! got some in my eye earlier, that hurts! but u get used to it[8(]

20. Golf Nut Pete

Golf Nut Pete Forum Member

If you can afford to get the second hand air fed mask do get it, it certainly isnt a waste of money, once you have used it you can pop it back on ebay and get your money back on it easy enough (maybe even make a profit) as they are always in demand (i seem to always get outbid on them quite regular). Other than the fact its better for your health, it is actualy easier to paint with one on as it doesnt get all up in your eyes, without extraction in the garage you'll be suprised how quickly the garage will fill up with fumes, to the point you cant even see your hands in front of you, especially if your using a high pressure conventional gun. And as said get a paper suit on , they are only a couple of quid and youll get a cleaner finnish.

Youll have to get a load of photos up, would be interesting to see.