2 pack laquer at home - now with flatting trouble!!!

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by bigman_10, Sep 13, 2008.

1. paul_c Forum Member

2. bigman_10 Forum Member

no more north than south and no more east than wes
    hey guys finally took the plunge and sprayed it! I had a look at air fed masks but got outbid on a devilbliss job at 92.00 so i just bought some new filters for the double filter spraing mask i've got and gave it a go with that. the weather was perfect tough it was warm sunny and the only wind was that, that came for my ****! i left the door wide open. i started with the chassis, sprayed that then took it out and moved the panels in to do them.

the bounce back was huge like said but i literally did a coat and then got out and went on the back garden for 5 mins so to minimise contact with the stuff. It went well and i'm still alive. (stupid but still alive)

heres the results any way:

the start:
    these were the worst bits really
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it took me about a month 2 weeks of which it was totally garage bound, i did some dent repair in long weekend spurts around work and then rust primed it to weather proof it for the week. i had a few rust problems though that i fibre glassed. I know some say this is proper pikey but i didn't know at the time and i couldn't afford to wled the patches that needed doing.

the process:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

its looks like the cars made of filler but 90% of what went on came off in sanding!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i decided i wanted rid of the golf sign

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

then after a base coat or two

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and i've just finished bolting most of it back together:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

overall i was well impressed to say it was my first time doing a full respray. i'd only done the odd panel here and there before and it was the first time i used laquer aswell so top result!

its needs flatting back though as there is a bit of orange peel and a few small runs, but the main thing is i'm one happy dubber now!

thanks for the advice and help guys! and yeah it was far too much paint i've got almost half left! mind you theres my dads caddy that i'm helping him with next so i may split it with him?

flip that rear bumpers knackered! thought it went on a bit squiff!
    also it looks like there are dents form the pictures above, not impressed anymore will report back 2morrow!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  3. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

looking good

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

good effort looks nice!!!

5. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

Nice job mate, very impressed. Hope my effort turns out as good over Xmas!

6. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Top work mate for a first time full re-spray :thumbup:. Tempting me to have a go at doing mine if i could find a decent size garage to rent.

How long did you leave between coats?

7. bigman_10 Forum Member

between base coat coats about -10 mins depending on how thick i put it on, just until it fully flashed off really, the laquer for some reason took longer to flash, maybe because it was early evening by the time i did this? about 10-15 mins between coats i think. I think my dents are just shadows in that picture becuase i cant seem to find them:) ! i think flatting it back will help though

8. nickh89GTi Forum Member

I can't even see the shadows mate. Sounds like you have a real eye for detail :clap:. What size compressor have you got? Looks really good mate. So tempted to do mine myself now [:D].

9. bigman_10 Forum Member

i think its just me being a bit paranoid to be honest! its not a brilliant compressor, and the hvlp gun that i've got was ****e so i went back to an older suck job!:lol:

its a 50 litres tank with a 9.5cfm compressor on the top, i don't really know alot about it as its my dads, i just saw it there and thought why not go for a respray!

I know everyone says the prep is 95% of a good job, and they're not wrong, by the time i got to my base coat i was pretty cnfident doing even coats and getting a good amount of paint on and i think i'd quite confidently spray again, i wouldn't say i do all the sanding again though, hard god damm labour! but i think it payed off!

10. vwgolfgtinut

vwgolfgtinut Forum Member

looks top mate. i do it regularly and for the facilities you've had its wicked. over did the the 2k thinners though in your buy didnt you? lol i got a litre 18 months back, 3 cars later ive still got some left

11. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Good skillz!! It looks like a top job.

12. neil kaye Forum Junkie

oh well he can always start a new career as an arsonist:lol:

nice job mate come n do mine now[:D]

13. Golf Nut Pete

Golf Nut Pete Forum Member

:thumbup: quality dude, most people will not touch body work so good on ya for giving it a go, just getting in there and doing it is a good way to learn. good luck getting them runs out, they are a pig to get out properly without rubbing through.

14. bigman_10 Forum Member

yeah i think i'll 1500 wet and dry them, soap and water job do you think that'd be the best bet?

15. Golf Nut Pete

Golf Nut Pete Forum Member

yeah, 1200-1500 wet and dry, go lightly over run until its sanded down, its 50/50 whether youll go through or not, what normaly happens is you end up rubbing through the surrounding laquer before the runs out so be carefull and use a flat sanding block. If theres plenty of laquer youll be ok.

16. bigman_10 Forum Member

cheers dude, its quite orange peely all over tbh i was going to wet and dry the whole car, would it be an idea to give it a quick keying and then stick a couple more coats of laquer so i've got some to play with? i did about 4 coats though so that should be enough anyway?

17. pigbladder Forum Addict

4 coats should be enough to sand the peel out and polish

id use 1500-2000 and lots of soapy water , dont sand the edges

if you chose to put more clear on , the a carefull 1200 and bang on some more

18. paul_c Forum Member

Lacquer won't stick properly to dry paint - it needs to be applied approx 1 hour after the base coat, and then in between coats 5-15 mins to allow solvent flash off, basically. It might appear to stick okay but will be peeling off in 6 months or so...

19. Andy947 Forum Addict

It will stick fine to paint keyed with 1200grit paper. . . .

20. paul_c Forum Member

It wasn't my understanding of things, after having talked to a sprayer (15+ years experience) at my local paint shop. I was able to have a long chat about paints etc and the various ins & outs of what to do and timings in between the stages, etc. But I guess it varies across different paint systems, etc so if you have experience with it sticking all okay, that's fair enough. I'm just trying to help really...

Also, a bit off-topic, I found this site which might help:

http://www.learnautopainting.com/auto_paint_repair.htm