24/07/14 Toyotec's 315PS WOLF R. What's next? See Pg10?

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Toyotec, Jan 30, 2007.

1. prof Forum Addict

:lol: :lol: :lol:

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Oh dear!!:lol:

3. VWralley Forum Member

right on, i have no issues installing an working with MS so im looking forward to sharing the good results [:D]

car is looking great, it sounds like you are very happy with it

4. Toyotec

Thanks. Yes my targets are being met with this hardware set.

5. Toyotec

The WOLF R at full chat at AmD CGTI day

My 282 AmD HP WOLF R

[YOUTUBE]JjF8lFWitg4[/YOUTUBE]

Shown here in Low and high boost modes.
    Next steps would be to source a good boost controller (Greedy Profec B 2) and retest on the same rolls. Excel spreadsheet plots show that a target of 310hp@6500 can be achieved if the torque can hang on to 265lbft for a wider range of rpm. This will be achieved via more accurate boost control
    Note the numbers posted relate to AmD's dyno settings. Others may vary.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  6. eatonmk2 Forum Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

7. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Looks good! Propper sleeper as well . . . . . best way to be [:D]

8. bens_cab Forum Junkie

nice work eddie

9. dave_dub86 Forum Member

just awesome!

10. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Very nice!
    Could be my next build project ;)

11. moretorque Forum Member

Very impressive.
    Any dyno plots?

that 13.6 is a gtech time I take it.
    I took my gtech to the pod last year.
    It was very accurate.

12. Toyotec

Last time this vehicle was tested on the Gtech it measured 13.2@109mph and a 60ft of 2.3secs. But concentration was required to keep the tryes from distroying themselves while switching between low boost and then high.
    Its going in today to get fresh coat of Monza Blue and other touches. Also a new boost controller has been installed and needs to be tweaked to see if the boost could hold on for longer. Took it out last night and with the cold air around, was sure if it was driven for any long that I would get into trouble.
    Will be taking it back to AmD after the new boost controller is tweaked to see on there device how my improvments compare.
    I do think that there is very left to do on this STDish head and block if more torque is to released reliably.
    Next stage Hotgolf bottom end?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  13. moretorque Forum Member

What head work have you had done?
    If you have not done any what would you consider it or do you prefer the stock setup?

14. Admin Guest

What is the purpose of the car?

Just to purely demonstrate what is possible using something other than the usual suspects?

Or for sprinting/ Quarter mile races etc?

As its neither pretty or suitable for track work but it does seem as if it could be a good example of either of the above.

15. Toyotec

This vehicle was never to intended to be pretty or be a show car.
    At this instant I would say it is as good on a circuit as is an X5 off-road. It has modified suspension and brakes, not mentioned in this thread, but more development in this area will be required to be a good track car that I would be happy with.
    This car was designed to be a quick road car, with the bench mark for engine torque and inline performance being a slightly modded EVO3 and JDM PS13 w/SR20DET, that I used to own. Like the EVO and PS13, The WOLF R retains its full Recaro interior, ICE, working heater, PAS and boot free for groceries. And best of all its not pretty so you are likely to underestimate it capablilites.
    Some of the aims then this project started were;

To be subtle or sleeper like in appearance. The name 'WOLF R' means wolf ( animal) in Golf (sheep) clothing - Racing ( as it has a turbo'd ABF). It even had the original 'Golf GTi 16v' emblems.

To be user friendly - Components relating to driver input and response were chosen carefully so that this vehicle has been used by my spouse to move the children to and from school.

To achieve 33mpg - On my commute to work which consists of motorway, A roads and stop/ start traffic, the vehicle can achieve 34 UK mpg average with up to 37mpg measured.

Sprint time target 12.5@109mph 0-60 in 4.8 secs - to be validated on a UK sprint track in 2009.
    Tesla G-TECH pro was used in pre runs to log optimum shift points, launch rpm and torque curve. Validation of any improvements to acceleration for PCM/hardware adjustments that would affect torque per rev can then be repeated.
    To achieve the above, the engine needed to be rated 300bhp@6400 and 260lbft@ 5400rpm
    Actual measured at AmD 282bhp@6200rpm and 262lbft@5100rpm. Further works have been done to hold torque for longer so a retest on the same dyno is due.
    This torque is transmitted through a MK4 gearbox then to Prada Spec 2 road tires or R888s if on the sprint.

The vehicle has also acted as a development mule for Megasquirt PCMs debugging and calibration prove outs.

The car is now having a full respray with all new plastic trims etc. It will not be a show car but an even cleaner looking monza blue golf.
    As the vehicle improves or achieves the targets set for it more challenges will follow.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  16. Toyotec

Headwork...none. If the stock arrangement can achieve the torque curve required then why modify it...Plus it does not cost anything.
    If it is determined that modifications to the cylinder head, valves or cams, would increase airflow or fuel mix performance into the cylinder, for future drive targets and the cost to carry out this work is justified and it would be robust, then why not. By then the engine would not be a stacked gasket unit ;)
    For now the car is fast enough for me.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  17. moretorque Forum Member

did u make it to the pod 2day?

18. Toyotec

It was not taxed yet. [:^(] But it is now[:D]

19. Toyotec

Respray refreshed and taxed and tested for 07/04/09

The WOLF R was made to be a very fast road car.
    Last year in order to establish its fuel economy and general day to day driving the vehicle was used on my 100mile round trip to work for a few days. My work driving cycle consists of B roads, stop/start A roads, and motorways. At the time I was pleased that the vehicle could achieve up to 36mpg, still play the radio/CD and bark when provoked. Happy until someone, while I was in stationary traffic, decided to use the rear bumper and panel as a buffer. So my car was hit and the bumper and rear apron of 21 years was now pushed in. To cut a long story short this lead to the idea of giving the old gal a bit of a make over.
    Respray time!

Rear of car redesigned by careless driver.
    [​IMG]

Bodyshop strip down
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Badges deleted
    [​IMG]

Door pin striker area repaired (mk2 weak piont)
    [​IMG]

General body straightening
    [​IMG]
    Dings on bonnet gone
    [​IMG]

Shell back in fresh coats of Monza Blue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shell delivered to underground carpark for reassembly. ( This was during the snow)
    [​IMG]

Top tint windscreen installed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More pictures coming soon....

20. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

looking good, one of my favourite mk2 colours that :o)