256mm or 288/280mm combo for track use?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Mjj4, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Notso Swift Forum Member

My assumption here was the pads had already been optimised

But I agree the probably make more difference than the diameter, when comparing a road on a 288 and a race 256... but a 288 with race pads!
    Cost benefit I find it hard to go past Hawks, but I have a race type pad (common to many after markets there are 2 main 4 pot pads) where almost everyone makes the shape and they are a lot cheaper than the "make specific" pads you buy.
    DTC60 are probably good enough to use on the road

2. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Using different pad compunds on the same discs is never a good idea either, especially when trying to compare pad materials 'back to back'.. Material transfer, and build up can cause a number of braking deficiencies..

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I find on the swap back to standard pads from the racing pads on the same disc, it takes a few miles to get back the bite, albeit a crappy one.
    Not the other way around. All subjective of course.

4. Mjj4 Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies chaps, all this info is worthwhile. It's interesting to see such different opinions on pads. Eddie and Bill from badger 5 recommend DS3000 even on road where as some people say to avoid them etc...

Any opinions on the Mintex M1155?
    /
    I had someone mention Hawk pads the other day (with a 750bhp space frame beetle - subaru powered) and said if you can get/afford them they're unbelievable. What's your opinion Hummuh?

No Eddie this is a 20vt Mk2, the Gold tdi golf has retired from any track use as it's too special to me, and not really track orientated :)

So I have bought some lucas 54 280mm calipers and carriers, so I can go G60 discs/pads now. The decision to make is down to the pads now.

DS3000 -135
    M1155 - 116
    CL RC6 - 175

Still tempted by the DS3000 on Bill's and Eddie's recommendation, shame about the damaging brake dust but you can't have it all!

5. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I ran DS3000s on mine, and they weren't great. However, they were a bit old, as they came with my calipers.
    I changed to the Carbon Lorraines, and they were light years better. Pedal feel, and overall breaking were just so much better it was unbelievable.

Nige likes this.
  6. Mjj4 Forum Member

Hmmm, do you run RC6 Carbon Lorraines? Do you get them direct from CL?

If it's 40~ more for brilliant pads than expensive OK pads then it sounds well worth it. Are they a no go on the road? or just not worth running on road because of cost?

7. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Mjj4 likes this.
  8. HummuH Forum Member

Hawk DTC60's are my favourite pad used so far although I'm really liking the PFC01's at the moment.

There is no right and wrong answer, choose a pad and see how you get on :)

9. Toyotec

I am not necessarily recommending DS3000s. Only gave my experience of them from using them on the road and track back to back with std stuff. They are an marked improvement over a std pad IMO on a track car.

The DS3000s fitted to my car, are being used out before buying a new set of pads. Previously, RC6 pads were fitted.
    The story was, I had ordered RC6s and they could not come in time for a trackday, so I fell back on what I was comfortable with i.e. DS3000s. These were ordered and sent out in time for a trackday back in April last year. They were used once before the RC6 jobs arrived and were fitted. Unfortunately, I used the RC6s on the road as well, leading to their quick demise, causing me to return to the DS3000s. The benefit is I can also share my feedback on the experience of running the RC6 pads.
    The first experience on these CL pads were on Ram's car, when it was built up as a 16vT. It had 5 lug 288mm ATE set up and RC6s. It was a fresh build and it was driven on its maiden voyage ready for road optimisation.
    My subjective feedback was I never felt a stock set up so progressive and with zero issues from such a fresh build.
    Impressed, I got on to Paul Chance @ CL to seek his advise. Giving my feedback based on the DS3000s and he recommended the RC6 pads. The part number for these are 4011 for the 280x22mm Lucas 54 set up.
    Compared to the new DS3000s brake pedal pressure on the RC6 pads can be more progressive for retarding force. Also brakes get to almost to full frictional properties at any temperature and maintain mu friction beyond 800 deg C. No bedding in. In that way they are superior to the Feredo components.

Minor downsides from extended use?
    The pad does not have spring clips at the top and the backing plate can move about and clatter in the caliper.
    They are also a bit nosier than the DS3000s.
    The standard thickness is ~ 10mm vs the usual 16mm so you do get less pad material.

I thought this was the diesel car, so based on what you have confirmed about this alternative vehicle, I would recommend the RC6 jobs. You will not regret it!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    Mjj4 likes this.
  10. Notso Swift Forum Member

From that list the CarbonLorraine are simply in a different class,
    I have also used the PFC in an endurance race in a very powerful (400kW@rear) and heavy (1600kg) car and they were exceptional, I think that was called an 08, but could be wrong. The same team had used CL with good results.
    Both of those brands are a premium
    Hawks are quite a bit cheaper on this side of the globe and DTC60 (or 70 for heavier use) are 99% as good

11. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Yup, direct from Paul as per Nige's post. RC6s.
    They'll be better on the road from cold, as they have better coefficient of friction than DS3000s.
    I don't run mine on the road enough to bother with changing them. I trailer my car now.

12. Mjj4 Forum Member

Thanks for all your help chaps, just got off the phone to Paul and have ordered some Carbon Lorraine RC6 4011 :)

What's the deal with discs, is it brake engineering only? Or are they the best but not essential? I don't want to skimp on the brakes but budget is tight basically. I'm planning on leaving the stock rear discs and stock ATE rear pads, as they have no weight to deal with whatsoever.

13. Toyotec

If you could find someone who can supply the same design great!
    For me these are well durable enough after trying other disks and breaking them.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  14. smartboyo Forum Member

hey have mark two golf 2l 16v track car been using ds2500 pads and seem good jod but need new set wood ds3000 be better tho or are they meant for heavy cars like mark 3 , always hard to no what to go for thanks j

15. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

A more modern ceramic compound would be a better choice IMO. RC5-6 or DSUNO etc.

Toyotec likes this.
  16. smartboyo Forum Member

thanks ill have look see have you used these

17. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Good to hear, thanks for the PM :thumbup: He`s a good bloke, I`m pleased he was able to sort you a bit of discount too [:D]

18. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aye without a dout
    Been looking into all this for a thread in writing

The ds2500 I wouldn't bother with they run out of steam at the point the ds3000 start at which get better and better as the heat up

But the modern ones you listed have a far more stable coefficient of friction
    And at a higher level than the ds3000 out the box

19. Toyotec

Just looked at the friction performance between the CL RC6 and the Ferodo DSUNO. I might just try the DSUNOs next.

Henry fitted the DSUNOs to his fast french thing and on the recent Bedford trackday. He was punishing the stock brakes with very late stabs into bends and they were happy with minimal dust.

Cold working friction exceeds the older DS3000 'race' compounds and remains just as stable when hot. Plus they are kinder to disks.

Ferodo_mu_Compare.JPG

In fact I would say, based on those mu plots, maybe this type of pad may even be the best compromise for a part road, part track car.

CL Pad mu plots also listed for comparison.

CL_mu_Compare.JPG

:thumbup:

Mjj4 likes this.
  20. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

This one shows it a bit better [​IMG]

Mjj4 likes this.