26/08/17 *post 262* Toyotec's 'JENVEE'. The 6 speed era

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Toyotec, Dec 1, 2011.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

and after that it is a slippery slope towards booooost [:D]

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Not for this exercise mate...

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i suppose you already have one of those, and i guess thats enough for anybody :lol:

im keeping mine firmly standard, i got enough things to be doing/spending money on these days!

4. Toyotec

Cool...
    Back on topic.

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

So Eddie, what's on the cards next? Further optimisation? An airbox?

"I might turbo it eventually"

I believe those were your words!

6. Toyotec

Time for an update...lots have happened since I wrote this. Lots...:o

More later.

7. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

bated breath,,,,

8. Toyotec

JORAN the updates, the demise and the future 03/07/13

[​IMG]

JORAN had been running fine, since fitting the ABF 16v engine.
    I had been using the car as a daily drive to and from work for ~ 100-120mile round trips. This car was also a platform for a major experiment that I had been carrying out at the time, on behalf of 3 trackday enthusiasts all with the same engine.

After creating a makeshift cat delete during the one day conversion, I was never satisfied with the exhaust fitment. There was a section just after the downpipe flange that was stepped in the line of flow and the rear over axle section was hitting the rear beam. So I took the car to the Hays Powerflow dealer, to tweak the exhaust to my specification.

[​IMG]

With car on the ramp is was evident that the exhaust had also burst the rear rubber hanger.

[​IMG]

Here is the middle section that was a bit restricted.

[​IMG]

And this is what it inside looked like in the line of flow.

[​IMG]

This was replaced with a new centre section.

[​IMG]

With the exhaust sorted I was interested to see what effect this would have on WOT performance.

One pre Christmas evening, a small group of us gathered at Garage Streamline to make some seasonal noise (with 16v engines what else?). We strapped 3 16v motors on the dyno in turn, for some back to back testing for our information. Here is a video that shows some highlights from vehicles belonging to Gurds (MK1 ABF Toyotecwerke ITB42), Ben (MK2 ABF BenS intake) and myself (JORAN ABF Dev car).

[YOUTUBE]va4rq2qWfRw[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks once again to Theo and Co for the use of the dyno.:thumbup:

When JORAN was tested, the result was largely unchanged from my previous dyno test where the torque profile pretty similar. There was some smoothing
    of the performance curve to make a tad but more torque over a wider range than before.
    Here is the final baseline curve taken during development.

[​IMG]

As the tests from Bens car seemed to correlate, we decided to swap the intake manifolds to better understand the performance delta between his large plenum/short runner system and the stock unit.

[​IMG]

This young guy was quite keen to see the results himself and got involved in the swap.

[​IMG]

With the manifold bolted on a few tweaks were made to the calibration to match the hardware updates and this difference in WOT performance was observed.

[​IMG]

Modifications to the manifold and matching engine calibration resulted in a small torque loss 3-4.2k rpm and an improvement to engine VE during torque roll off resulting in more power.

Overlaying Bens graph we can see he still has a small improvement on upper rpm torque, naturally leading to a higher power number. As he used the same cold end and exhaust manifold as JORAN, we put this difference down to the downpipe, which was a customised larger system in his case.

[​IMG]

With power confirmed, attention turned to improving the stopping.
    When the car was being built up, with parts from my old 8v , I had already replaced the 8v front hubs with 16v jobs and brakes, so it was natural to fit G60 discs and early Golf 3 Lucas/Girling callipers and brackets, well with a twist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was given a set of callipers and carriers from NatsABF's scrapped Golf 3 16v. The pads were fairly new. I did not what to replace my BBS RA wheels with the brake system update and I also did not want to start sanding down brake pads or add wheel spacers. With my limitation fixed a solution was found.
    :idea: Use the Golf 3 system but run the new thinner Golf 2 16v brake pads.

[​IMG]

New Golf 2 16v pads were purchased and fitted. The RA wheels were reinstalled and it was all done with a flees scrotom of clearance!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    With the brakes sorted plans were made to acquire a suitable suspension update for the car and I also took time to build these.

[​IMG]
    Yes there are my Toyotecwerke ITB 45 set, designed for an experiment to watch out for.

After the dyno session I was on the look out for a suspension kit to replace the std VW items as well as an updated ally radiator. This was to start work on a NASP exercise where the ITBs would be utilised. I should add the original shocks worked well for road use but not good enough for the cars purpose.

Sadly in February, this project all came to a halt as

I was on my daily commute around the M25 and in stationary in traffic when this tank ploughed into me at 30mph, shunting JORAN into the back of a Mondeo estate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JORAN became an Golf burger. The front damage was largely cosmetic but the rear floor was not so lucky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This put a final end to JORAN after 22 years of history from the previous owner and all the hard work leading up to this demise.[:s]

However good ideas are hard to kill:o

Hello JENVEE

[​IMG]

[:D][:D]
    Here we go again lol

Ben S, afbiker02 and vw_singh like this.
  9. Brad. Forum Member

Those throttle bodies look tasty!

Also I have pmd you. :)

10. murph81 Forum Member

Hope you're ok after the shunt Eddie, the new car looks well!

11. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Every cloud has a silver lining, but not every Golf has ... headlamp washers! lol

12. Toyotec

All mended now. Ready for the next chapter.

13. Toyotec

Got have something 'extra' to make up for the lack of valvage...[:D]

14. LukaszGti

LukaszGti Paid Member Paid Member

Shame about JORAN:(. Are you planing to go any further with mods than ITB ? You know P&P ,cams etc.

15. Toyotec

Stay tuned...stay optimised ;)

16. logans run New Member

Oh nooooooo, thats terrible news to hear about JORAN !
    :cry:
    At least you weren't hurt, but its really sad to hear that she is no longer
    :(
    Good luck with the next venture.

17. Toyotec

Hey :thumbup:. Hope you have been fine.

Many bits of JORAN will be transferred to the JENVEE car as I still have it. I was gutted too as you would imagine as there was nothing wrong before the impact apart from the odd tin worm here and there.

18. bigbenbird Forum Member

Sorry to jump in on this but have you any thoughts about how performance would be affected if you did the following to the inlet manifold

Flipping the top half of the inlet over by 180deg? So the inlet header sat between the head and the radiator obviously the runners would need to be shortened considerably! Also if you flipped the orientation so the air intake was above the gearbox, could you get a better flow/access to cold air?

Just wondering

BBB

19. Toyotec

Yes I thought about that and I can share what has been done by steve r on here, when he used a 1.8T pluenum (about the same size as an ABF job) with shorty 42mm runners.

[​IMG]

The result is a lack of low down torque as you loose a significant amount of natural supercharging. At the top end where the ram effect maybe stronger not so bad.

[​IMG]

Point is you can start shortening the runners towards decreasing performance and also start approaching the character as seen in ITB vehicles.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  20. bigbenbird Forum Member

Is there any really noticeable difference in every day driving?

BBB