2L 8v conversion guide

Discussion in '8-valve' started by JamesB, May 13, 2006.

1. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Struggling to follow this without images... so may or may not help, however does give some info. into the colour coding of the speedo gears for MK1/2 cables.

Mid-way down the page...

http://brokevw.com/020ratios.html

2. Mitchell08MK2 New Member

Hey thanks for the response!

This will actually help me alot because i couldn't find anything on this. Also did not know they were color coded! Maybe that's why. But just to clarify, putting in the right cog in the gearbox (I have a DFQ) and replacing the sensor by putting the right speedocable in there, this should work just fine?

(Sorry for not including any images, i'm new to the forum and am not able to post images, even though i tried haha)

3. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

No worries, 10 posts will allow you to stick up images.

My turn to be sorry, but anything after the MK2 isn't my thing and can't answer what you need to know.

4. Mitchell08MK2 New Member

Oh ok. Thanks for the response anyway!

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep, match the colour of gear to the final drive in the gearbox. this is becasue the gear picks up from the output shaft, not the differential as on most.

the other thing to note is the long peg on the end of the gear needs to drop into a machined hole in the bottom of the casing. if you dont do that the gear wont properly mesh, making speedo not work and have the drive gear on the output shaft chew away at it as well

Mitchell08MK2 likes this.
  6. Mitchell08MK2 New Member

Right, bought a new cog, a red one so i'll put it in this weekend and see what happens!

Thanks everyone