2l 8v flywheel

Discussion in '8-valve' started by darrren, Jul 27, 2011.

1. darrren Forum Member

Which do i use the normal mk2? As a local has a lightened and balanced one i can buy and he said it fits any mk2 and other engines?? If i can use my mk2 pb one i may just get that lightened.

2. danster Forum Addict

The chances are the 2.0 flywheel has a single locating dowel for alignment with the clutch pressure plate. You really need to use the matching pressure plate to ensure correct location and orientation of the flywheel.
    The mk2 020 clutches use 2 dowels.
    Also check the clutch diameters are 210mm, and the friction disc splines are correct for whatever gearbox you are going to use.

3. darrren Forum Member

youve lost me a bit now lol. Im using my normail mk2 8v gearbox with it if thats makes it easier to answer? i was hoping i could just unbolt the flywheel off the digi and put it straight on the agg?also the flywheel up for grabs is lightened to 7kg from 14kg but isnt balanced,does that matter?

4. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

That ain't the flywheel for you then if it used to be 14kg down to 7! That sounds like an ABF one.

5. rich81 Forum Member

You can just use your original PB flywheel with a mk2 8v clutch kit. Don't use the mk3 flywheel I've had trouble with them not releasing the clutch 100% with mk2 clutch kits... No problems with the mk2 stuff

6. milesmk2 Forum Member

Dont even bother with a lightened fly wheel.

I have one in the 8v and it runs out of puff sooner now, about 5k revs is all you'll get from it on a straight flat road. I have been told this is due to the engine needing the weight of the flywheel to carry its own momentum up throught to the top of the rev range.

7. DJUPLIFT Forum Member

ive done the 2E bottom end on a PB head and used the original flywheel... well a new one but u know what i mean! LOL!

lightening a flywheel on an engine like this isnt wise... it really does need that momentum to keep it going!

8. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I don't think a lightened flywheel can prevent your engine revving up to it's max. In fact it helps it rev more freely up to it's limit as it takes less effort to spin a lighten flywheel. That was my understanding when I stuck one in the mk2 VR6. I'm sure someone more knowledgable can confirm just in case I've got it wrong.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if your car wont rev over 5k on a flat road, its not the flywheel. it wont do [anything to your power, it just allows the engine to rev quicker! the added mass is handy for say, going up a hill as it has more stored energy but it wont make the car slower that is a fact.

to answer the OP question it depends what clutch you have on that car, the early MK3 use MK2 2 dowel clutch kits, the later ones switched to single dowel mk3 kit. so to start with check what you have on your car. or, just buy a mk2 clutch kit then you know you can fit a mk2 flywheel :)
    unless the clutch is recent it'll probably want doing anyway

10. darrren Forum Member

ok so mixed reviews there,some saying yes other saying no so im a bit stuck,although you did answer the question of WHAT one to use. Hotgolf,i think the flywheel in particular may have been done by you. A guy called smokey on newport edition ( i beliee hes on here too) is the guy who has it and he recommended getting it lightened by you,but he definatly said its 14kg down to 7kg. So isit worth doing? original plan was to just do a 2l bottom end swap but having always been into carsv(fords mainly) ive found myself going with the flow and deciding to do a bit more :). Head and cam im doing so i thought i may aswell do the flywheel?

11. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

First off, the flywheel on yhe other cars isn't looking them performance, so they have an underlying issue there. I ran a mega light flywheel and crank in my mk1, with no loss of performance or torque for that matter.
    What I was saying is that the std. 2 litre 8v 020 flywheel doesnt weigh 14kg to start or 7 finished, but comes in about 3.2kg finished. Have a look at my flywheel thread.
    If I have done the one in question and its the right one to suit your box then I wouldn't put you off buying it at all. I'd say out of everyone who's had 1 off me I've had 2 maybe 3 people say that for the driving they do a std or slightly lighter than std would be better. Everyone else seems to like them a lot.

As for a head and cam, do it. If you want more after that, change the engine ;)

12. darrren Forum Member

Ok ill have a look in the thread as it does sound worthwhile. Does the crank need to be done aswell or is the flywhell ok to just do? My only worry is because my head is skimmed,if i fit a performance cam is there any chance of the valve hitting the piston?

13. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I think you will be ok with clearance. I have a PB/AGG p+p head and Newman 272 cam with no clearance issues.

14. darrren Forum Member

how does the car go with like that? Pretty much what im doing,including the AGG block.

15. milesmk2 Forum Member

As Darren asked, what sort of power are you getting with that combination?

16. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Well I can proudly present the graph below which was done last weekend. Its the first time the car had been on rollers and the engine has been in there for around 3 years now (maybe more) My experience with RRs and graphs is nil but the feedback I got was that it was good how the torque held for a good amount of revs.

[​IMG]

17. milesmk2 Forum Member

Nice :)

So with a ported head it should be able to produce even higher gains?

18. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

that is with a ported head, standard valves

19. milesmk2 Forum Member

Oh right. Doesn't seem so worth it now then.

20. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

well depends on personal taste really. I spent 300 on the head 50 on bottom end and 110 on the cam 25 on the dizzy and I only did it when the head gasket went on the original engine.