2l bottom end - worst way to go...

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Tim, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Seraph Banned

yeah, lets get back on the subject.......

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

No, I'm definitely jealous [:D] of a Mk1 campaign with a hot engine...damn right I am [:x]

I'm 35... let me insure it and look after it for you [:D]
    Edited by: mikehorsb

3. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

its finished yeh, but its how the previous owner wanted it, not how i want it,

im going to change a few thing, do some body work, engine work, and also need to sort out the wiring, and the interior,

to how I want them,

this to me is a project, as i will be driving another car whilst work on this one,

tim,

4. GTI

GTI Forum Member

[puts wellies on ready to wade in]

i think it would be best for you to go and do some proper reading before getting stick into the 2.0 16v discussions.

there are an aweful lot of threads and faq's that should get you going. there are very few unanswered questions on this forum already - especially if you are willing to use you brain and to put 2 and 2 together.

you'll only end up p****** people off and sounding like an ignornat little boy, rather than a 'willing to learn' enthusiast. take sensible advice and don't go around quoting that you have synthetic gearbox oil when you're asking about engine conversions.

if you are only 18 i would have to agree that insurance is going to be the serious issue here. for a heavily modified engine you'll be talking thousands at 18 and it just isn't worth it.

most people i know drove 1.1 fiesta when they were 18. crashed several and learnt to drive both fast and safely.

you may notice that most of the 'big boys' on here take their cars to track days for their real thrashing.

have you considerred this? you'd have more fun spending the cash on suspention, brakes and few trips to a track.

my 2p.

5. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I took Tubs out for a quick blast the other day.
    He'll tell ya that an ABF with a long stroke deisel crank will rev cleanly all day long with no problems, so a standard 2litre , lightened/knifeedged and balanced will do it with ease.
    I even have a spare hanging around the shed if you want me to put up a pic.
    Edited by: Hotgolf

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

That's the most sensible post I've read on here for a while. :clap:
    Edited by: GVK

7. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

ok fair enough,

as for the gearbox oil, that just cos i copyed a list of info thats in another thread,

i have read a number of the 2l threads, but alot are just conversion running on injection, which mine isnt,

as for the suspension, there isnt any thing else that i can do to improve it, i would quote another list of whats been done to the suspension set up but ill probably get burnt for doing it,

tim

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Basic engine mods will still be the same regardless of carbs or injection.

By basic, I don't mean standard, I mean, the whirly pushy up and down oily bits. :lol:
    Edited by: GVK

9. GTI

GTI Forum Member

([:$] thanks gary)

tim, remember that people have to read what you write/copy&paste and make an assesment of both what you mean and also whether they give a f**k enough to help you.

what i mean is, it's worth spending the time expressing yourself well. we're all friends on here (i hope!), but nobody takes it for granted.

Edited by: GTI