3 cylinders = Wiring Fault!

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Richard Mk2, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Guys i really need some help. I was on my way to work this morning and noticed the car had started juddering. Its got hardly any power and it feels as if its running on 3 cylinders. Anyone know what maybe causing this. Shall i drive home ? Its a mk4 1.8t aum 2002. Cheers in advanced :thumbup:

2. HidRo Forum Member

Could well be the coilpack.
    Try to identify which cylinder is missing, and then change that coilpack to another cylinder to see if that new cylinder is missing.

3. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Is it smoking at all ? blue smoke out the back ?

4. Richard Mk2

Thanks for the reply hydro. I was thing the same to. Its been running fine lately. Can coilpacks just fail like that without warning. Also are they expensive to replace. Cheers :thumbup:

5. Richard Mk2

Will do duff cheers. Did your start playing up without warning. :thumbup:

6. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Mine started smoking first and then got worse and worse , hopefully yours will be a easy fix of a coil pack if its that sudden as said above

7. Richard Mk2

Are these quite expensive to replace then? Im hoping its an easy fix. Could a dodgy spark plug also cause this? I changed them recently so just wondering if it maybe them? :thumbup:

8. G-Man Forum Junkie

Coilpack! Yep and they can just die like that with no warning.

Not that expensive from memory and takes 2 secs to replace. I found out which one mine was by simply disconnecting each of the coil pack plugs one by one to find out which one makes no difference when disconnected.

Try not to drive too far with it, AA man advised me at the time you might be ok driving it a short distance with the injector disconnected on that cylinder for emergency to make sure fuel isn't being put into the cylinder, as apparently it can damage the cat if too much unburnt fuel gets through.

9. Richard Mk2

Thanks for the reply G-man :thumbup:

I did drive it back in the end, but didn't get over 50.

Going to have a look now and see which one has gone.

Hope it hasn't done any damage as i drove back 20miles. [:^(]

:thumbup:

10. Richard Mk2

I found the broken coil pack tonight.

I also noticed that i had a loose spark plug, so tightened that up and checked all the others.

Is there anyway i can temporarily fix the broken one, just till i get a new one?

11. Richard Mk2

Is there anyway i can temporarily fix the broken one then, just till i get a new one? I need to the car to drive into work!!

Cheers

12. HidRo Forum Member

Not really...
    If they go, they are gone.
    You just need to get a new one, and taht is it.

13. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I think they are about 30 each.

14. Richard Mk2

I'll have to get down to VW during the week then. :thumbup:

Cheers!!

15. Richard Mk2

right then. Ive changed the faulty coil pack. But 5mins after the one on cylinder 3 blew. Is this common for each one to follow each other. Also would it be an idea to change all 3? Cheers:thumbup:

16. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I changed one on mine then the others went when I had it remapped.

Clicky

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  17. Richard Mk2

Cheers for the reply 1990 :thumbup: Will buy 3 new ones 2mora then. Nice one.

18. Richard Mk2

Im going to pop down to Eurocarparts in Wembly now, as its open till 9pm, result.

Will hopefully get it sorted once and for all tonight. ;)

19. Richard Mk2

All fixed [:D]

Changed all 3 in the end :thumbup:

20. Richard Mk2

Just though i'd have a look at the spark plugs today, and when removing them i notcied that the ends were dark black. BTW they are Bosch - fr7kpp33+

Looking at the NGKs which were in there previosly, they have a light brown coating, which iirc, is a good sign.

Would the failing of the coil packs cause this dark black coating, or could it be something else like running lean or something.

The car does feel very responsive since i replaced the coil packs and put the NGKs back in.

Any ideas on this then guys.

Cheers :thumbup: