3 cylinders = Wiring Fault!

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Richard Mk2, Oct 19, 2010.

1. danster Forum Addict

Possibly the misfiring cylinder would be creating a weak signal at the lambda probe, and the ecu would be putting more fuel in to compensate.
    Should be fine now that is back on all four. :thumbup:

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers for that Dan.

Will keep the NGKs in there for the time being :thumbup:

3. G-Man Forum Junkie

Worth giving the old tip a clean with a brush? AA guy said he often recommends people to change the spark plugs when a coil pack goes but still don't know if that was tried and tested advice as he reckons that would reduce the chance of another pack failing.

4. Richard Mk2

I was out driving last night and the Engine/Exhaust emission light came on.

I managed to get rid of it yesterday, as i took the battery off for a while and it reset , but now it has come back on.

Anything else i should look for which may have become faulty?

Cheers :thumbup:

5. Richard Mk2

Any ideas on the above then anyone :thumbup:

Ive left the battery off for a few hours which reset the light, but after 5 mins of driving its back on again [:x] ?????........

6. danster Forum Addict

Pfft, modern cars.

Sounds like the words VAG COM need to be uttered.

7. Richard Mk2

Wish i had it tbh. Could the lambda sensor be faulty, or could it be the cat which has been affected by driving on the 3 cylinders when the coilpacks failed?

The thing is its running really good.

8. Richard Mk2

Anyone local to me have Vagcom.

Ive disconnected the batterty again to reset the light, but still after 5 mins driving, it comes back on again.

Also, would this cause problems come MOT time?

Cheers

9. Richard Mk2

^^^ Well, a quick thread revival...

Toyotec kindly plugged the MK4 in over the weekend after doing the MK3, and it seems that the 3 coilpacks i bought from Eurocarparts are causing the engine lights to come on, as they are not genuine.

I have one genuine on there which isn't throwing up a error code, its the other 3...

So word of warning, stay away from the ECP coilpacks. I'll be buying some genuine ones at the end of the month me thinks ;)

10. G-Man Forum Junkie

What coilpacks did you actually buy? Also which coilpacks do you have as your OEM ones?

ECP do actually sell the Hitachi OEM spec but they also some some very duff branded one's, plus I didn't want to run the risk of running mixed branded coilpacks.

A really helpful chap told me they stock more coilpack brands than people think, but they rarely tell people are most people aren't interested. He brought out 5 different brands, naturally I choose the Hitachi one's as they mated the original VW one's i had.

11. Richard Mk2

I went for these -

http://www.eurocarparts.com/search/413440481/p/home

The only reason i bought them was because they were cheap and at the time i was a little skint. But now i know, you buy cheap, you buy twice. [:$]

At first, when i narrowed it down to only one faulty coilpack, i bought a genuine replacement from VW for around 40, which solved the problem for a day, then the others followed, which is why i went for the cheapo ones.

Will most likely replace those at the end of the month, and keep the cheapos as spares.

:thumbup:

12. m1keh Forum Member

13. Richard Mk2

Nice one m1keh. Cheers :thumbup:

14. Richard Mk2

Just out of curiosity, do these Hitachi ones act as a genuine part and keep the engine emission light off, as the emission light stays on using my cheap ones. (As i found out when Toyotec plugged it in for me).

Ive done a few searches on the Hitachi ones, and people rate them as being more reliable and less faulty compared to the originals. :thumbup:

15. G-Man Forum Junkie

The Hitachi one's I used were the older 'bolt down' rather than the pencil type. Yep they are actually an original part made for VW, but the plastic hitachi brand was blanked off. I confirmed this on Seatcupra.net also with the ECP and VW part number as someone else found this also.

Not sure about the pencil type i'm afraid! But nice to know that those ECP one's aren't all they're cracked up to be and the old rule of buy cheap, buy twice still applies :lol:

16. Richard Mk2

Right then. The last couple of days my Mk4 has been juddering and running on 3 cylinders from start up!

But after 5 mins of driving it goes completely and drives perfectly for the rest of my hour journey. It also happens when i leave work, after leaving it parked up for a while.

Now, what could actually be causing this? Could it be down to a faulty or worn plug, or a coilpack on its way out. With my experience of coilpacks packing up, they seem to just go with no going back. But my car seems to go back to normal after 5-10min's, which leads me to think its something else.

Any ideas? Cheers :thumbup:

17. G-Man Forum Junkie

Have you changed the plug on the cylinder which the coilpack failed on? AA guy told me he usually recommend's them when a coilpack dies to reduce the chance of any other failures or issues

18. Richard Mk2

I did change the plugs to Bosch ones, but when the coilpacks blew, the plugs had gone black so i swapped them with the original VW stamped NGK's as they looked in better condition...

I'll go and buy a set today i think. How much would i be looking at from the dealers. :thumbup:

19. G-Man Forum Junkie

Were all the plugs black or just the one where the coilpack blew?

20. Richard Mk2

All of them tbh. ive since checked the plugs after changing the coilpacks and after sorting the boost leaks ( as it was running rich ), and they look fine. But they are old, and could probably do with changing now.