3 yr old FKs and 60mm ID spring Q?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by GVK, Jun 15, 2005.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

ouch thats not good

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

note to self: FK are cheap for a reason

whats planned for the replacement?

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

4. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

jeepers creepers.
    thats an amazing amount of corrosion

5. bigmac Forum Member

Jesus Gary, they look like the've been in the sea for 3 years.

6. Supercharged Forum Member

LOL, Gary, thats exactly what mine look like after I investigated a knocking noise last weekend... the alloy adjuster rings were half missing and when I touched what was left (just lightly touched them) the other half of both rings fell to the ground then fell apart like a digestive biscuit!

FK quality is shocking and not fit for purpose IMO - mine are only 3 years old from new and have covered around 55k miles. Going back to standard Sachs Advantage shocks with Blue H&R springs for a bit to see how much ride quality was lost!

I wouldn't reccomend FK to anyone but I would urge poeple to check theirs out asap before someone has an accident as a result of spring platform failure! I have no idea how annodised alloy rings make it thru TUV but looking at the coilover market it seems that KW are the only manufacturer not to use these!

7. Chicane-UK New Member

Suffered some sort of failure of my FK's - according to the reciept in my folder they were barely 4 years old, but had taken to changing their own damping setting! If I wound the car round to max hardness, on the passenger side it gradually (over a period of weeks) seemed to wind itself towards soft setting.

That coupled with an awful loud *BANG* noise on even the smallest potholes on that same side made me realise the shock was totally fubar!

Mine didn't corrode anywhere near as badly as those though!