400 road tax for older cars? - * SIGN THE PETITION * thanks

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by M7R, May 5, 2008.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I've got the same issue with my 2004 1.8T A4 Quattro - its 1g CO2 / km over the band limit making it 440/year - A F*CKING INCREASE OF 230 or 109% !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile an old banger with a V8 in it will pay 180.

I hate this government so much it hurts [:x]

Tell everyone you can about this petition.............

Rob

2. stuey Forum Member

VED should be dropped completely and applied to fuel. More miles and higher consumption = pay more. Less miles or smaller consumption = pay less. tax those that use the roads the most. Not to mention the money that would be saved in policing and administration of the whole system.

I have been thinking this for ages, its probably about as fair as it can be. It also stops scumbags who dodge it from getting away with it. Unless they come up with a tax disc camera!!

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

They already have `tax cameras`. The ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) system used by the police and found at some fixed sites (think London`s `ring of steel`) cross references with the DVLA databases to check if vehicles are taxed.

4. paul_c Forum Member

Why is it such a bad thing anyway, its a more graduated system so if you own a high-polluting car, you pay more tax? If you own a smaller car you pay less.

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

The problem is the bandings are unrealistic compared to the emissions of most cars. It`s obviously been well thought out and cleverly the big jumps in rates are where most cars, even small ones, sit.

There are very few cars that actually fall into the low bands, and the ones that do aren`t worth having. Not for people who enjoy driving anyway...

6. Rallye Forum Junkie

next election i think everyone bar brown will be saying, come to over to our side where we will get rid of the car tax scheme and you pay through your fuel used.

Failing that I'm of to Oz, although I m motor is 10 years older than 2001 :)

7. Admin Guest

you think its any cheaper to run a car there..........

think they run the two MOT's a year rule, fuel is catching up to our prices here..... cars to buy are way more then here, european cars catch a heavy premium. the road TAX is similar prices to ours too.

don't think anyone will lessen the burden on car tax as it is such a moeny maker, labour sold this country down the pan... god knows how though..... where has all the bloody money gone over the past ten years????

8. paul_c Forum Member

So with other threads on the price of fuel, and a thread on road pricing, and an assumption that some kind of tax must be collected from motorists, what's your ideal split between these sources of income:

* Fuel Tax
    * Extra Tax at first purchase
    * Yearly Car Tax
    * Road Pricing

????

9. Spacemonkey Forum Member

Tax, Tax, Tax, and when you think you have pad enough Tax they will find another way of taking more Tax off you.

It FUC*ING stinks. i hope at the next election nobody votes for the fu*kers and they pi*s off in to oblivion.

All this green policy crap is just a big smoke screen to get more money out of people.

Rant over. :lol:

Oh and i just put my sig on the petition as well.

10. voteforpedro Forum Member

Signed on the dotted fecking line. :thumbup:

11. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I signed this the other day even though my newest car is a K reg :p

I still don't agree with it though.

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Government response to petition 'UNFAIR-VED'‏

http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page19483

13. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I'd agree with a fuel tax increase, as it properly shares the burden of the enviromental impact of the vehicle based on the fuel you purchase. It would also favour motorists who may drive high emmision engines, but do so conservatively, or drive very few miles. As it stands, I could either own a smoking 2002 V8 and drive it 50 miles once a month at stupid money, or the latest eco-friendly micro-car and drive it 250 miles a day for next to nothing. Clearly it hasn't been thought through as anything more than a 'cash-back' service to the Govt.

Pre-2001 cars will come next, no doubt about it[8(]

14. Adam_16v Forum Member

The current rates for 2009 is 190 then 2010 it's 205. I assume they will keep pushing the increase year on year until people decide their old car is too expensive to run [:x]

However, no doubt Darling will change the budget with minimal notice to the public in the next budget

15. develeski Forum Member

thats disgusting. did'nt even know much about this. I got a 52 plate bmw m3. 292G/KM. Top band. I paid 210 tax last year. 215 this month which is evidence of the 5 rise stated for 2009. I hope this tax hike is more targetted towards cars from 1st march 06.

Thats a nightmare for me if my car tax is going to shoot up to 400 a year.[xx(]

My 1990 golf vr6t is safe tho which is great as thats a top petrol consumer, 2.8 with six of them 30lb injectors, Not having a cat has worked out here...just goes to show the advantages of being old skool![:D]

Petition signed: D.Develeski

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009