500 mile trip to Stealth today

Discussion in 'Quality retailers & Supplies' started by roccodan, Oct 13, 2007.

1. roccodan Forum Member

Well I did a round trip of 500 miles today for nothing,set off at 4am this morn to get there for 9am saw Vince said hello etc then they took the car into the workshop...2 mins later and Vince comes back,"the car is too low it won`t go on the rollers"he said I was gutted,then BINGO I asked him to lend me a trolly jack and I could lift the coilovers,I grease them and move them every month so they stay nice and loose and it will take 5 mins per side I said, and he said oh we can`t have that we dont have time for that...so it would have taken me 10 mins to lift it to any height he wanted[:x] then he comes out with the health and saftey would be a no no excuse.
    In his defence he checked the timing which was already spot on and checked the WUR fuel pressure which I also new was correct and set the idle co2 for nothing,but for the sake of 10 mins to lift the coilovers I spent 65 in fuel and wasted a whole day pretty crap IMOP.

2. altern8 Forum Junkie

thats a bit gutting your dont even look that low

3. paulyb Forum Member

Sounds pretty crap to me,why didnt he do the adjust himself,I'm sure you would have paid him for his valuable time:(

4. Rallye_Will Forum Member

Annoying, but TBH you should have checked first, there are plenty of threads on how high the car needs to be do go on Stealths rollers...100mm IIRC!

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

wierd.... sod health and safety... take it to any old car park down the road, jack it up and lift it if he is a bit worried about H&S.

sounds well fishy to me.

6. red 8V Forum Member

its not fishy its normal , he would of had to of done it , not you

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

why didnt you ajust it in the car park/street with the jack that comes with the car

8. mk28vICED Forum Member

hmm sounds funny has the new measuring equipment been sorted yet?
    maybe the rollers wern't working.

9. G60. Forum Member

nearly the same thing happened when i went up with my mate in his corrado g60 a couple of years back. Since then i have never given Stealth any business. He was just not interested in even looking at the car. My mate had booked it in about 6 weeks in advance and we both took time off work and drove up from south london. Complete waste of time.

10. Aphex Forum Junkie

Hmm, does sound like a bad experience. Getting up that early must've been a sod too.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

so what if stealth would have had to do it? if he had to do it, thats what he was being paid for. lift it and put it on the rollers etc. if he couldnt lift it (there would have been plenty of jacks around) why couldnt it have been lifted by the owner then RRd

bit of a joke really.

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

Strange because we had a lad with us from wales who turned up at TSR for a RR day & his car was to low so he just jacked it up there & then while the next car was on then 15mins later with the height adjusted the car ran fine on the rollers???????????

13. roccodan Forum Member

I even said he could lift it but he wasn`t interested,I also said I could lift it but he said he did not have time to wate TBH it seemed like he could not give a flying ****,he won`t be getting any work or reccomendations from me
    as Matt82 says,bit of a joke really,and a waste of my time.

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

well it just sounds like something pretty big was up, they couldnt meet your appointment and hadnt called to tell you.

the car being too lower (although very possible, despite your car not looking that low) could be overcome easily and quickly. H&S issues may apply, but you could have done it somewhere else (even in the car park should have been fine) or he could ahve done it.. his garage would be well enough equiped ... hence i think something fishy was up

sorry you had a poor experiance cos mine there has been pretty good

15. V6 Otto Forum Member

Probably had some of his PVW "mates" arriving for yet another photoshoot and a "look at at us arent we great" write up!! some firms get too big for their boots sometimes and lose sight of how they got there!
    Its those little touches and flexibility that stands the good companys apart, and if they dont seem interested or bothered then give you money to someone else!

everyones experience is different but bad press is worse than no press!!

16. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Think about it - Saturday morning most garages open for 3.5 hrs.

You're booked in for a rolling road session that takes an hour at least (I've been waiting there for 6hrs in the past) - other people may well be booked in after you. Ok your suspension may not have been seized, but if there was any delay in 'just jacking it up a bit' then the other customers time slots will suffer.

17. jamesa Forum Junkie

Still ... very disappointing that an attempt to solve the situation was not allowed / pursued - I`m sure they`ve kept people waiting / made mistakes before !

18. paulyb Forum Member

Don't think I would have took this too well , after an early start and long journey, would have probably gave him a piece of my mind;)

At the end of the day the suspension could have been adjusted easily and quickly by the owner or the garage

19. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

given its such a common issue on their rollers since day #1, i would have thought a simple pair of rear wheel ramps could be slid under so the cars sit level on the dyno, not nose up, which just exaserbates the height issue

Jabba's newer dyno also has a level issue, but they made a clever ramp to drive cars onto their dyno (which they could'nt bury in the floor to a depth either) but then have adjustment on height.. Still suffers some low car issues as the roller spread is wider than a lot, so the cars drop deeper in the rollers, and subframes/bumper spoilers can mighty close or can bottom out also.

I know i have seen several Stealth RR cars not run due to steering geometry issues as reported on the day, but this might just be exaggerated by the nose up stance when they sit on the rollers..

shame really.

20. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

As has been said...surly its just the nature of it, i'm sure they have seen many cars come in the same way...a five min adjustment wouldnt hurt for a bit of customer satisfaction.

I remember when I took mine for mapping up there...the tracking was out quite a way so he adjusted it, shame they couldn't do the same for you. It's that kind of thing that would put me off despite their good name!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007