6 speed gearbox

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by richierich998, Oct 30, 2003.

1. richierich998 New Member

Does anyone know much about 6spd boxes....I might be getting hold of one from a Skoda and was wondering if anyone has every matched one up to an 8V lump.

2. edc1 Forum Member

If you know what the 2 gearbox codes are ppl might be able to help.

3. Dub20vt Forum Member

02M is one of the six speed boxes.

4. AMY

Amy Forum Member

chris did you fit the 02m to your golf??

thats the one we fitted

5. Dub20vt Forum Member

no i've got an 02a with quaife 6spd and diff [:D]

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Don't buy a six speeder without doing the maths on the ratios inside.

An 02M box is a) heavier than an 020, b) tends to have long ratios in it, and c) is far stronger than an 8 valve will ever need.

There is a danger that you could find the ratios don't suit the engine, eg it won't pull sixth easily on the motorway (always changing down too 5th and up to 6th etc)... and it'll be a fair effort to get the box in. I believe you will need to get driveshafts made up.

There are six-speed boxes and six-speed boxes. The production 02M has road-based gearing, not some rip-roaring close ratio clusters. The Quaife 6-speed cluster for the cable change box is much more close ratio.

Of course, you get what you pay for - a Quaife kit vastly ups the cost compared to picking up a box from a breaker....

I think PhatVR6 might be able to enlighten us more as he put an 02M in a Mk2 VR6 I recall....

Chris

7. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

nope. mines an 02C box.

8. Dub20vt Forum Member

IMO the quaife kit is worth it for the noise alone! phatVR6 can vouch for that! ;)

9. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

oh yes, semi straight cut gears sound wonderful. ever better with a stripped out interior. 5th get under full power just HOWLS. [:D]

10. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I put a 02M 4*4 in a mk1, not a weekend job i might add.

I agree with Chris Eyre totally, i only used it as i needed it to cope with large bhp figures and it was more cost effective for me to go this route than 02A and i fancied a challenge as getting the other bits made up was not that much of a problem. Where as forking out 2k for box mods was

It one of those "if you have to ask you should not be doing it" job i reckon
    Edited by: dUff

11. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

As I've pointed out before, those 02M's weigh a ton, yet you never hear people complain about upsetting the handling like they do whenever anyone mentions a VR6....well you can;t can you .. it's a 6 speed...who cares how heavy they are... [:s] [:[]

12. AndrewF Forum Addict

how much are the quaife kits?

how do they compare to the gemini conversions?

13. edc1 Forum Member

Quaife kits are expensive prices should be on the website - don't have this year's catalogue to hand.

14. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Gemini is about 1500, Quaife is about 300 more, becasue you get a new 1st and 2nd gear too.

Gemini don't exist anymore anyway, they got took over by Ricardo Motorsport.

15. prof Forum Addict

02m ratios in the 2wd seat/skoda box are good, lower than a 2y for the 1st 5 then a long 6th which tops out at 160 at 7k so 80 at 3.5k where a 2y would do 4k.

if you run it on 15s

yeah it's heavy, but cheap + very strong

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Is that a 'three shaft' gearbox? Ie with the twin final drives.

Chris

17. prof Forum Addict

think it's corrado type

18. NormanCoal Forum Member

you are right Chris, it has two final drives in there, one for 1st to 4th and another for 5th and 6th

If you wait till later on this year, or early next my track MK2 will be up and running with one installed

I dont know if there are any internal changes between the FWD box (from Seat and Skoda) and the 4*4 version other than the extra bits for the prop drive. I do know that the driveshaft arrangement is different, and they are more of an equal length

I shall try and remember to send you a pic of the MK2 install of an 02M chris (it was posted on the old forum)

19. NormanCoal Forum Member

I'll give you the fact that they are heavy, but like anything else, there always a positive and negative side

I dont think that you'll find anyone moaning about the handling after fitting one, cos I haven't heard of people saying they ave one - you?
    the only one I know of is a MK2 20VT that stealth built with the 4*4 version in
    I know of people that have one, and are planning to fit, but not up and running yet

20. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

my mate said he could feel the extra weight on his car.