'85 Mk2 GTI - Votex special! Time to say goodbye :-(

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by retrowhore, Feb 14, 2012.

1. retrowhore Forum Member

I've been looking for a new daily for a while now as the van is supposed to be for holiday/festival duties and the rally Mk2 is now stiffened up and minus a back seat and unsuited to school runs.

Matt was looking (as he does every night) on the 'bay for a Mk2. He is bored with his Polo GT so it's up for sale and he wants a black GTI again. Knowing I like my retro stuff he called me about this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120857413514

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, it's an '85 GTI 8v in what I think is LA5U (Royal Blue Metallic). I'm unsure this is the original colour (was it used in '85?) but it is nice nonetheless. I suspect the photos make it look tidier than it is though. The bodystyling won't be to everyone's taste but I like it. It's original VAG approved Votex gear and the skirts and grille were all offered by dealers in the 80's.

Interior I am unsure of. On a C plate it should be on the earlier GTi stripy gear.

It's in the hands of an MOT testing centre who took it in when a customer brought it in for MOT then couldn't afford the parts needed. It's been there 3 weeks and they needed it out of the way, hence the ad.

I called the garage and it appears the car didn't fail on much. I'll get a full lowdown later today. Looks like there is some minor rust/paint to address and a dead rooflining from the photos but it's coming with a 12 month test so at least it is usable.

Initial thoughts are to lose the ATS style wheels, lower it a touch and work with/remove the grille.

I'm tempted to go with the Votex theme and some more retro touches from the company (console, wheels, steering wheel etc) but as these parts are 'scene taxed' it would be over time.

Constructive thoughts welcomed......

BTW...for those asking 'Why PROJECT GONZO?'. Well Gonzo (the Muppets character) also has a controversial nose. You either love him or hate him. Much like the Votex. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  2. smp1987 Forum Member

Yummy [:$] Mega jealous

I just love the early Retro mk2 i think going with the Votex theme is spot on they are so rare not like the BBS mk2 it would be a shame to not keep the theme after all these years.

Has it got colour coded bumpers? looks like it may have been resprayed as the boot and side decals are missing, Has someone cut a section out of the back of body kit?

There interior on a C which is late 85 should be grey/black stripe or red/back stripe

Mine is B 85 Grey/black
    [​IMG]

Stick some original rear lights on get rid of the wheels and keep everything else

what is the mileage on it?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  3. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Nice to see something retro and different from the rest on here for a change :thumbup:

Great find in a nice colour too. Unsure if it is a genuine paint from the factory, but it should be easy tp tell.

Will keep an eye on this one :thumbup:

4. retrowhore Forum Member

Yes, lots of questions....can't wait to see it in the flesh.

The rear skirt does look like the exhaust cut out is wider than the (already wide) original items in the brochure. I'm pretty sure I can fibreglass it back to how it should be but htis will initially depend on the exhaust fitted. I hate the angled twin exit GTI setup and a 3" round or a letterbox tailpipe would look much better.

Bumpers do look shiny (i.e. colour coded). I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

There are signs of rust on the bonnet edge and round the windscreen valance. Let's hope they are cosmetic.

I'm looking at reinstating the swage line/tailgate decals to break up the colour a bit. there are kits on Ebay. I also found this today:

[​IMG]

It's an original Votex Sport 'heckblende' kit in vinyl. I assume it is the same material used on the swage lines and would tie in nicely with them once reinstated. Could look quite subtle over the blue paint. I need more pictures before I commit and get one made up though.

5. smp1987 Forum Member

my exhaust is standard GTI but the kits exhaust gap is a bit to small they corrected this after 85.
    Only shot i have
    [​IMG]

I also have this it is full of info on all 80's mods it is like the bible on body kits let me know if you need any info.
    [​IMG]

Keep me posted on this if you can get a plane one made i would be interested as i also am looking into re doing swag lines ebay kits look good. I would love a heckblende vinyl

6. smp1987 Forum Member

looks good :thumbup:

7. danTbone Forum Member

very jealous. like said lovin them wheels

8. retrowhore Forum Member

Satin black paint on the grille to tone things down?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  9. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Maybe some amber or smoked indicators instead of the blue ones:thumbup:

Car looks good, I'm starting to like these styled golfs:o

10. smp1987 Forum Member

i likes the toned down grill :thumbup: really think you should stick a GTI grill on there and see how it looks too

11. retrowhore Forum Member

Well on Saturday Matt and I drove down to collect the Votex. On arrival we were pleasantly surprised and were allowed to view the car on a ramp. Underneath is rock solid and clean.

It's an original Votex kit, fitted from new and apart from a fixable crack in the front splitter and the rear being opened up, it is in great condition.

[​IMG]

The grille has been a point of contention. While somewhat cool and retro, both Matt and I were determined it would have to go. However, on arrival we were both blown away by the character it gived the Golf and decided at first glance it HAD to stay.

[​IMG]

The car had it's original UQ interior with a busted seat and a dropped headlining. I drove home partially sideways and we taped the headlining up for rearward vision.

[​IMG]

The tappets were clattery but after a few miles they calmed down to leave the exhaust roar. The car did however occasionally cut out when stationary so perhaps a service was needed.

All in all the car is original, with a few period marks and scuffs - but its solid and honest.

At home we attended to a few issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the boot was a number of spares including some original Hella black tinted rear lights. I assume the red/black items had been fitted later so I reverted back to the retro items.

Then
    [​IMG]

Now
    [​IMG]

The fuel gauge wasn't registering and the buzzer of doom playing up so a spare set of instruments from ExxxJAC were fitted. This didn't solve the running issue and the fuel gauge still showed nothing. A replacement tank sender/lift pump eventually fixed both.

I still had some flutter on the pedal so idle adjustment and an ignition lead swap seem to have sorted that.

Breaking out the vacuum cleaner Matt and I gutted the interior and gave the car a good clean. Then a proper scrub on the outside to remove tree sap, silicone sealant and dead leaves later the Votex looked pretty shiny. The sticker in the boot confirms the car was LA5Y (Helios Blue) but we think it has been treated to a period pearl lacquer in the 80's as it changes colour somewhat under varying light.

[​IMG]

Original ATS Cups in 15" flavour were fitted to the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like these but feel they look better on big bumper cars. So did Matt so in no time they were purloined for his latest Mk2 project. I'm now rocking some temporary 14" original OZ Ruotes.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  12. retrowhore Forum Member

Today began with a low. Gonzo died on a school run. [:^(]

The running issue had not been sorted and I limped him to Matt's house a bit cheesed off. initial thoughts were back to the lift pump so Matt dismantle it again. The filter was found at the bottom of the tank and reinstalled, however tickover was still lumpy.

So to the engine bay....

A ticking from the general direction of the ignition coil was diagnosed by Matt so a spare was fitted with a new HT lead. Cross fingers, since this we haven't cut out once and Gonzo completed the whole day running around without fail.

I cheered up after fetching the head for the rally car back (progress on more than one front will always make me happy) and decided to sort the dodgy headlights. A melted bulb was causing the headlight/spotlight to short so new (brighter) bulbs were fitted. I also replaced the chavvy purple painted sidelights with normal white bulbs. All 4 working as intended now. Much better :)

Matt's dad, Paul took a few shots of the cars the other day after cleaning. The sun was a bit in your face but these shots of both cars look great to me :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. geordiegar Forum Member

Love the grille and the proper interior, does it have the vac economy guage?

14. retrowhore Forum Member

Oddly, no. But my rally Golf does and that is C plate.

15. geordiegar Forum Member

My first GTi was a Jan'85 Mars Orange and the econoguage always made me laugh, must have been replaced with the fat stalks, not sure when.

16. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Looks a great find! I would have to disagree on the ATS cups being out of place - they were the orginal eqip wheel on the 16S mk1 (french market) and this reminds me a little of one of those.

Cheers

Dan

17. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

That is cool as ****!!! I think i'd like it less in a different colour but it looks great, this style is growing on me!!!

18. retrowhore Forum Member

New look?

[​IMG]

I'm going with simple changes. Wheels, ride height, lighting toned down and a sporting but tasteful interior. Performance modifications will be limited to those that appear by chance or on the cheap. If however something has to be replaced it would be churlish to fit a boring stock part.

I want the car to retain its look so anything drastic will be a no-go.

19. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

I like that. The gold wheels seem to go nicely:thumbup:

20. retrowhore Forum Member

Decided that the interior needs to be sporty but usable. I raided the shed and now it is fitted with this:

[​IMG]

I'm waiting on some early 'JQ' spec trim coming over from Germany which I was fitting in the rally Golf. I since found out it's not the correct one for the car so it will be going in the Votex. I think it will suit nicely. The fronts will be wrapped over Recaro (Proton Satria GTI) recliners for some driver comfort.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 'UQ' spec seats will be fitted in the rally Golf as original. Check your stickers people. I misread mine (scuffed in the boot).