8v guzzeling all my oil!!!!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by lockdog, Feb 3, 2005.

1. lockdog Forum Member

for some reason unknown to me....... my 92gti 8v is drinking loads of oil. its just had a full service (3/4 weeks ago) and already has little oil in the engine according to the dip stick (1/2 mm on the botttom of the stick) [:s] i do have to fill it back up every now and then but i thought the service might of sorted that out. guess not!!

Can anybody shed some light on it??

Please!!! [:^(]

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Piston Rings.

Maybe oil seals if you have any oil in the water.

3. lockdog Forum Member

cheers, any ideas on a garage price if it is that??

i'm well skint after putting two new tyres on the front [:s]

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

If it is piston rings, then ermm...very exepsive. You are looking at the cost of replacing the head gasket, along with the piston rings. For which the sump has to come off, the conrods undone, pistons pulled out. Bores checked for wear. Possibly rehoned. New rings. But if you go that far then its worth replacing all the main bearings and washers etc. Then if you spend that much time on the bottom end you might as well recon the head, as it would be silly not to after all that.

Its a downward spiral, so in all honesty, if it is the piston rings then find a cheap replacement engine and whack it in.

Be worth checking all your seals first. Do you have much oil under the engine? Are there any major leaks?

5. Seraph Banned

Er,um, if you're skint after two tyres, you might wana start saving some wad now(if it is rings)!
    If you aint a diy-er, then have a few hundred quid ready! [:^(]
    But i'd determine if youre loosing the oil or burning it first?
    Edited by: Seraph

6. lockdog Forum Member

no leaks [:^(] little oil about 2mm on dip stick.

7. The Pig Forum Member

Did you check it when you got it back from the garage ? If they've filled it to the max mark then not topped it up after running it to replace the oil that has filled the filter it would have been around minimum on the stick when you got it back.

Not being funny but is the dipstick and collar properly seated on the guide tube ?

Does it smoke from the exhaust under load or on over-run ? Get someone to follow you because if an engine is burning in excess of 1 litres per 1 000 miles the smoke is normally visible.

8. The Pig Forum Member

How ??

9. lockdog Forum Member

the dip stick is broke :lol: when i pulled it to check the oil is snapped off. its been like that before i got my service. it does seem to smoke quite a bit .... i can see it in my rear veiw and it still smokes after ive turned the engine off

10. The Pig Forum Member

Did you break the guide tube or stick itself ? Either way you need to change it to have any chance of monitoring your oil consumption.

Make sure the breather and PCV (round thing on top of the engine) are clear. Also check what grade of oil has been put in it as if it's wrong it'll burn more.

Assuming the above is right, as a general rule if it smokes under load it's worn rings and if it smokes on over-run it's worn valve seals.

A wet and dry compression test will tell you if it's the rings or not. Do a normal compression test with the throttle wide open and note the figures. Then tip a couple of caps of engine oil into each cylinder through the spark plug hole and repeat the compression test. If the figures are higher second time round your rings are worn.

11. lockdog Forum Member

i'll be p***ed if i need a new engine. [:x]

Its only done 72000 on a J reg...

If i am looking at a new engine wat kinda prica am i looking at for everything that would be required and fitting for a 1.8t conversion?

12. AndrewF Forum Addict

well, the borken dp stick collar (presuming its that bit) isn't helping...they only cost a few quid i think. is there any oil left on your driveway from it leaking?

but if its smoking that much thats probably the underlying problem. if your not a DIYer its probably cheaper to buy a new mkII unless yours is particularly mint. maybe a good time to learn DIY actually, i'd say the fitting a second hand engine option is easier than sorting piston rings. just make sure you don't buy a dodgy second hand engine.
    Edited by: acf8181

13. lockdog Forum Member

its not the dip stick thats broke its the red plastic bit that the dip stick sits in.basically i went to take the dip stick out and it snapped so the dip stick is just loose in the holder..... rattling about.. if you know wat i mean [:s]

14. AndrewF Forum Addict

yeah, the collar...get a new one from gsf or vw for pennies.

but i fear you will need a new engine really so may be worth hunting for one.

i actually know of someone with a low mileage digi 8v for sale....but i may need it for myself. he's also got a 2.0 8v ;)

15. lockdog Forum Member

i got a mk3 8v 72000 on a j

serviced every 20 to 10000 miles by VW apart from the last service

ive had the rear arches rolled and extanded to fit my 9x16's

theres very little rust very little.....

and i got a baby ob the way and moving house in a couple of weeks

however my new house has a massive garage. theguy how had it before us was a mechanic for landrover so its huge and apparatly is built fixing landrover. its got a built in engine removal thingy :lol: [:s] its built to take the weight i mean :lol:

loks like a may be putting the old hanes manuel to work :p

16. lockdog Forum Member

mines a 2.0l 8v mk3... would prefer to dump something a little bigger in seen i may need to geta new engine even if its only a 16v

17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I wouldnt drive the car with it like that. Any moisture could find its way down into the sump.

They only cost 50p to replace.

Also, if you are skint now then a 1.8t conversion is not for you. It would cost between 4000-6000 unless you could do absolutely everything yourself, and it doesnt sound like you can.

18. The Pig Forum Member

Everyone's done it. They're about a quid from VW and are now orange and make sure it is properly fitted.

Clean your breather, check the oil grade and do a compression test before panicing. Top the oil up to the max mark then monitor it closely over the next month or so. If the dipstick collar was shagged it could have been overfilled, underfilled or anything.

If it does still burn oil, personally I would re-ring and re-valve seal the engine you have if that is what is wrong with it, but can see acf8181's point of view about changing the whole lump. Either way as he says, a great time to become a DIYer as if you do it all yourself you'll get change from 100 quid and learn loads.

19. lockdog Forum Member

going to ring the guy ats volksworld see if hes got one in stock... it broke just cos its old i think just kida crumbled in my hand :lol:

dont kow how to do a compression test [:s]

will it tell me in my haines manuel?

20. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

72k miles is not old. The engine should last well into 150k+ miles.

It must have been abused and improperly serviced to die at that age.