8v heads

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mk2vivs, Nov 6, 2008.

1. mk2vivs Forum Member

are the exhaust outlets on the back of a 2E head the same as the 1.8 pb heads in terms of bolt pattern.cheers

2. SciroccoHillis New Member

i was wondering a similar thing m8, anyone?

i do know that the 2E head is different from DX GTI head, unsure about the PB head tho.

i do have a PB engine in the garage and i must admit it does look different from the DX in regards to the exhaust manifold, however the engine i have may have been modified, therefore i dont know about the actual outlets.

I would guess it isnt altered, but that is a guess. if it is a transition model between mk2 and mk3 then there probably is similarities between the late PB's and early E2's, to which extent i dunno tho.

needing the same/similar Q answered aswell tho, so someone plz :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

the exhaust ports are the same on all of the 8v engines, maybe the g60 is different, not sure on that one.

4. mk2vivs Forum Member

well the head on mine is an early 2E as the set up is from a seat toledo.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all the exhaust ports are same as said, even on G60. its the inlet ports that are different on a 2e head :)

6. mk2vivs Forum Member

thanks for that.has anyone used the 4 branch that hottuning company sell on ebay?

7. mk28vICED Forum Member

i fitted a hottuning manifold to my 2.0 PB engine yesterday, it was not a particularly fun job, but getting there, just got to connect the mainfold to system now. which i might get done today if the gf lets me! ill post some piccies up tonight.
    the old manifold was rusted to the downpipe (6 bolt type) and blowing, after taking off the fuel rail, inlet and airbox etc. i unbolted the exhaust system from the downpipe and hit it off with a rubber mallet then undid the 8 13mm exhaust mani nuts.
    i couldnt get the damn thing off the car as the manifold/downpipe together is quite long and wouldnt clear the head/bulkead. was tempted to cut the dowpipe as far up as possible but instead dropped the front engine mount off and lowered the engine forwards abit and it came out!!
    AS FOR EXHAUST PORTS BEING THE SAME
    for some reason i decided to buy 2E Exhaust manifold Gaskets, however on removal i found i had used PB ones when i built the engine. i thought they would be the same but they were more oval than they should be. go with whatever matches the head... i kept the PB ones on the PB head obviously.
    i bolted the mani on and put the front mount back on, and clearance is roughly 15mm i guess but i will try to measure it again when its all bolted to the system. i have a solid mount on not using any washers to gain extra clearnce.and newish other mounts so it shouldnt move too far.
    coming to fit the inlet should be easy but i really struggled, there was now more space behind the engine for tools the standard mani is bulky and heavy!
    the inlet bolts just wouldnt bite for a while i couldnt get it to sit down enough as if the new ex mainfold was in the way just by a fraction, but i didnt want to start angle grinding the flanges so in the end i did have to pull it on with the bolts!
    and eventually it came square .
    the hottuning manifold looks the daddy, i would not be suprised if this releases afew ponies. It has a mk3 golf flexi joint, and you have to figure out how to connect it to a mk2 system. they send you the other half of the flexi joint which is stainless and you need to get a stainless pipe welded onto it that reduces just one size down, mesurements to follow... unfortunately i am a bodge master and have bought a mild steel passat intermediate pipe (GSF #22208c)which is perfect for the job but how the fook i am going to weld/rivet the mild steel to the stainless i think it is probably impossible but we shall see. if it breaks i will source a stainless pipe.
    later guys

8. mk2vivs Forum Member

i have a mk3 flexi joint already so thats a plus!is yours a 2e bottom end?

9. mk2vivs Forum Member

ive got the vibra-technics front mount on

10. mk2vivs Forum Member

iced is yours a 2E bottom end?cheers

11. mk28vICED Forum Member

sorry buddy for not replying sooner, got a 2E 2.0 mk3 golf gti bottom end on the white golf.
    i managed to weld the mild steel mk3 golf intermediate pipe to the stainless flange supplied, the weld was much stronger than i though i tacked it in one or two places and tried to smash it off but the little welds held so i just kept going... then just had to cut afew inches off the pipe and it bolted up lovely. car wouldnt idle just die though as i needed a lambda blanking bolt m18 x1.5thread and some mixture adjustments hopefully. got one tonight so we'll see tomorrow i hope the inlet and exhaust mainfolds are sealed on well. dont want to have to take em off again. hopefully my pics will upload to photobucket today..

12. mk2vivs Forum Member

sounds good to me.my hottuning one has just turned up.i have a 2e bottom end and head in my mk2.its from a seat toledo so it has the exact same loom as a mk2 digi does with the blue temp sender doesnt use a lambda neither and another plus is the exhaust has the mk3 3 bolt flange set up.anything i need to check for or look out for when fitting it?ive got a new inlet gasket and exhaust gaskets for when i do it.my manifold came with both blanking bolts so i was gona put a bit of exhaust gunk on them and tighten them down.would be a real help if you could get pics up asap i was gona have a bash at fitting it this weekend.

13. mk2vivs Forum Member

was your hottuning manifold the one thats for a mk2 1.8/2.0 8v that they have advertised

14. mk28vICED Forum Member

yes is the same manifold, several people on CGTI have fitted them before.
    got the pics sorted, hopefully i can get it running well tomorrow, ordered an emissions analyser to get it bang on not here yet though and run out of M.O.T and Tax so cant drive it for a week or so....
    enjoy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. mk2vivs Forum Member

thanks for that its very appreciated!looks about right to me im gona wrap mine too i reckon

16. mk2vivs Forum Member

anyone else fitted these manifolds out of curiosity?i see yours is a manual rack?!

17. paultownsend Forum Member

@ mk28vICED

have you driven the car yet? would love to know if a 4-branch really makes a difference on 2.0 8v

18. mk2vivs Forum Member

im gonna be fitting the one i have this week so i shall let you know

19. paultownsend Forum Member

cheers chap

20. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i have one but its never moved, since i bolted it to the engine