8v K-Jet Ignition Timing Help!

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Horney, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Horney Forum Member

I'm trying to time up my 8v after I knoecked the dizzy changing the oil filter housing gasket.

I can't get the timing marks to come up on the strobe no matter how far I advance or retard the dizzy. I assume therefore the flywheel has been fitted 180 deg out or something else has meant the timing marks are in the wrong place.

What do I do now? I need to set it up for a trackday on Tuesday so no chance of getting it into a garage before then. I tried finding TDC on No 1 with the use of a chopstick, this went Ok till the chopstick snapped and I spent over an hour retrieving the 1/2" of left in the engine!

Nick

2. garnetteyes Forum Member

Why not point the timing light at the camshaft sprocket and see if that lines up?

Are you disconnecting the vac advance hose to the dizzy? You need to. If it's running it can't be that far out.

3. Horney Forum Member

Yeah advance line removed and blocked.

It's a running a vernier pulley with a 286 cam so there's no mark on the cam pulley.

I can get it to run OK but I want it Bob On for the trackday on tuesday for max perfomrance and also to not worry about it running to advanced or retarded while hammering round silverstone all day.

Nick

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

line up the bottom pulley with the tdc marks used for the cambelt...you can then shove a screwdriver in number 1 to confirm it really is tdc

whip the dissy cap off and you will see a mark in the housing...ajust it so the rotor arm lines up with that notch

that should be near enough to start and see the marks ...if the flywheel is on wrong then you'l need to use the pully end marks and strobe light with ajustable advance

5. Horney Forum Member

I can't get my hands on an adjustable timing light so that method is a no go. I have a plan and wondered if this will work.

Find TDC on number 1 and mark the flywheel with tipex. Measure the distance between the old TDC and 6deg BTDC marks on the flywheel and then mark a new 6deg BTDC using that measurement and the new TDC mark I made. THen time it up using the stobe and my 2 new marks.

This should work right?

Nick

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah you do that

post up your location...maybe a local member could set it for you, ive got a ajustable strobe if you fancy a ride to cambridge

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

once you have fond TDC it should 12.5mm to the left of that

8. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Mine seems to run better at 8-9 degrees btdc.

9. Horney Forum Member

Halfords sorted me with a timing gun with advance adjust. Result.

WIll be having a tinker a little later on and will report back.

nick

10. Horney Forum Member

Well I can't get it to run right so it looks like I'll be pulling out of silverstone. I marked up TDC and set the strobe to 6deg BTDC and before I can even get the marks to line up it runs rough as a badgers **** to the point of nearly stalling no matter how high I wind the idle up.

Anyone in basingstoke good with timing and about tomorrow?

nick

11. pigbladder Forum Addict

turn it so it sounds nice by ear...take it for a run and see how things are

the ideal setting is just before it pinks ....could play by ear and then see what the readings are

12. Horney Forum Member

I'm happy to set it up like that for road use but not for use on track with the sorts of temps, revs and stresses it'll be under. I don't want to junk my engine by just winging it.

nick

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

well im saying use the timing light to see whats what too

you could also set the light to "0" to confirm that youve found and marked tdc correctly

14. Horney Forum Member

I did set it to 0 and got nothing, the mark comes into view with the light set to 60Deg BTDC. I don't understand as I spent ages rocking the car back and forth with all the plugs out to make sure I'd got No1 to TDC using some garden wire to check when it was at the highest point, I then marked the fly with tipex. I've never timed up a car in my life so I'm probably doing something wrong but I did block the vacum pipe as per the haynes. It's wierd as none of the proper timing marks on the car line up with anything!

If the last owner had only done the dizzy up tight enough I wouldn't be having all this hassle and chucking 165 down the toilet on a trackday I can't attend. I'm soo flipping annoyed it's not true.

Nick

15. pigbladder Forum Addict

you realise the piston is at tdc for a while..you need to mark when it stops rising , then mark again where it starts to fall

then tdc is midway between the 2 marks

id use the pulley marks..while not as accurate as the flywheel , its usualy near enough

16. Horney Forum Member

Well I have no pulley mark on the camshaft pullet due to it being a vernier one. Ther is a mark on the crank pulley but I can't see anything down there to line it up against.

Cheers for all your help though, it's much appreciated!

nick

17. pigbladder Forum Addict

should be a moulded arrow on the plastic cover down near the bottom pulley

prob need a good torch and a clean to be able to see it

18. Horney Forum Member

That'll be my problem then, all the covers are missing from the engine.

nick

19. Horney Forum Member

20. Horney Forum Member

replace *'s in link with s l a g but without the spaces!

Nick