8v pb engine dying revs

Discussion in '8-valve' started by silver, Mar 26, 2011.

1. silver Forum Member

engine starts & ticks over fine but soon as you accelerate the revs dip, you can keep tickling the throttle to build revs up but then starts to pop like timing is out, tried turning dizzy while attempting to accelerate but still no joy, any thoughts

2. nealey Forum Junkie

Sounds like a timing issue to me, have you had any work done in that area lately or has it started all of a sudden?

3. silver Forum Member

all ancileries have been removed & fitted, im guessing it's something simple but like I say I have tried moving dizzy some distance both ways until engine don't really want to run, not done it with a gun though but should still get it to rev up ok even with timing slightly out, any other ideas

4. nealey Forum Junkie

Check for air leaks as well although if its ok at idle I dought you will find one.

Cam and crank both lined up ok? Is the crank lined up on the flywheel mark and not the lower cover mark? Defintaly used the right timing mark on the cam?

5. silver Forum Member

yeh ive checked already, gotta be something simple as it stars & ticks over spot on

6. nealey Forum Junkie

Knock sensor in good condition and torqued correctly?

7. silver Forum Member

it's in good condition but not touqued up, would this make a difference then, what does it actually do

8. nealey Forum Junkie

That will be the problem then, it needs to be at a specific torque to work properly, the torque setting is in the haynes manual.

It detects engine knock and then the ecu retards the timing to protect the engine

9. silver Forum Member

ah that may be the problem then, I thought it would be something simple, ill give it a go tomorrow & let you know. Thanks for that

10. silver Forum Member

can't find the torque setting in my haynes book & my bently manual don't mention the PB engine code, do you know what it should be set at.

11. nealey Forum Junkie

20nm or 15lb ft

12. silver Forum Member

thanks, my mate bringing a torque wrench tomorrow to set it.

13. silver Forum Member

still no joy, it seems better when engine is cold but when it starts to warm up the issue gets worse, I have changed the blue temp sensor & makes no difference

14. nealey Forum Junkie

Have you adjusted the dizzy back into the right place?

15. silver Forum Member

yeh done that, it's got to be something so simple

16. nealey Forum Junkie

Right so timing is ok, blue temp sensor is ok and knock sensor is ok.

Its ok when cold but gets worse when it warms up. I think that there is a possibilty that its running lean which is why it gets worse as it gets hotter.

Have you tried adjusting the co and seeing if that improves it? Could also be that the afm is faulty but worth a co adjustment first as it wont cost anything. I think there is actually an afm test in the haynes which you could try actually

17. silver Forum Member

I don't know enough about adjusting co etc, I may be able to try another afm though

18. XRMike Forum Member

Ive got this problem too. Im going to try a new dizzy unit

19. matt_goodwin New Member

if you hold revs at 3 - 4k is it missing or dont it rev that much?? check wires onto coil and all vacume and air flow senser wires.
    i had a bork sopt when i 1st got my car. (bork isnt a technical term just the sound it made ha ha) i gave it a set of plugs leads rotor arm dizzy cap an fuel filter and it seemed to solve it.

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

Check that the lift pump is running (as it's free to check). That could be a cause of fuel starvation.

I'd also check the cam timing (again, because it costs nothing to check), and get a timing light on it to check the ignition timing.