8v pb wont crank.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Matt82, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

LBFT gains are the only gains that matter

2. SplatterHaus Forum Addict

Surely you don't need any more torques, its an 8v......

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

There are two small connectors on the starter (on some starters) on the Mk2. You've probably got the LT wires mixed up. It's an easy mistake to make. The Battery should earth to the gearbox, incidentally. Either that or you've mixed up the thick cables.

Take the spark plugs out to rule out a cylinder full of fuel... the engine bay probably needs a petrol wash anyway ;)

If you have blown the ECU, the engine should still crank. What's the level on the dipstick? Cylinders full of fuel would tend to fill up the sump.

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

if the cylinders are full of fuel take the plugs out and crank it over, but make sure a) the car it outside & b) the coil lead is removed, a 10ft fireball isnt a great deal of fun for you,your car or your garage. altho it looks good for any spectators!

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

an oil change was pretty much the next job anyway.

the earth was originally on gearbox mount bracket and thats where i replaced it too

if that point is not earthing nicely, do you recon that could be causing it not to crank?

i dont even think the solenoid was doing its click either actually

any idea which way round the who spade connectors should go. i did copy the layout on the GPES but that didnt seem to work haha

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

On the earth strap, it could be the problem, but unless it's really dirty or loose, it should be OK.

Swap the spade connectors round. I've made that mistake in the past.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I had exactly this, was a poor earth. luckily after I left the car for a short time and re-did the earth it fired up and has been fine ever since! Early MK2s have the gearbox earth on the top of the gearbox mount bracket near the front, which is a rubbish location tbh! Later MK2s and MK3s have a stud on the end of the rear gearbox -> engine bolt, much better! I'd suggest you upgrade to the later type if you can. I also fitted battery cables off a 93/94 Passat, nice n chunky and the battery clamps are a much better design.

Heres a pic of my bay, you can see the Passat cables and just about make out where the better gerbox earth ends up :)
    [​IMG]

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

sweet mate

thats the first thing i do tonight after i get my thermals on, tools out and get my ass down to 8v [:D]

i dreamt about driving it lastnight, it was a good dream lol

glad you posted ;)

9. rubjonny

Oh and to check if ECU is blown turn the key 1 click, if the pump just runs continuously its blown, if it primes for a few seconds then it should be fine :)

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

whilst the box was out, i hung the clutch cable from the bonnet and syringed a load of oil down it. the clutch action is now super smooth. worth doing if your clutch is feeling ghey/sticky

11. jamesa Forum Junkie

Mk2 16v starter

Had the same `no turn over` problem on the Mk2 16v, cleaned up all the starter connections and OK since.

Not sure if the 8v is the same as this ?

[​IMG]

Matt ... I`ve a spare earth lead that fits to the gearbox from the battery, it is sound .. I previously replaced it during a wiring `frenzy`. PM your address tonight if you want it, can post tomorrow but then am away for a week.

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i got it to crank. i had to rig up another earth and it cranked first time.

the cylinders were full of petrol after mucking about with it last night. this crazy car fired and ran first time, it is insane how easy it starts haha

i love it!

cheers you sexy boys for helping me out

13. Aphex Forum Junkie

So.. hate the mk3 yet?

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Does it have any FURY though?

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

its got FURY but in its own special way [:D]

if i wasnt so poor id consider puttting in the actual ABF POWERHOUSE OF FURY and my god that car would be special because the car has so much spec as it is, it makes so much sense, but then what would i do with the rest of the mk3?

as for mk3 compared to mk2, its only took 50 miles or so, but the mk2 is nicer by about a country mile. it is just shocking how good an 88 E reg car feels, but then this thing has been pampered its whole life

there is more pampering to come. a trip to VW to get new gearbox oil and then a trip to GSF to get some fuchs then im going to go ape under the bonnet again making sure earth wise it is tip top.

16. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Is this your own, then? I was off the net for a while, no idea you had a proper car as opposed to a grannywagon. Get all the gearbox bushes as well as the oil, it'll feel like a new box! Or Redline MTL is a better oil IMO, but there is not much difference.

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

it is my own. it has got a recent rod change bush kit fitted. ive felt the difference between old mk2 bushes and new ones, this does feel pretty lush.

im gonna head down to the local vw place now, i know the parts guys there well, theyll love to see this thing [:D]

I REALLY SHOULD NOT BE KEEPING IT!

18. rubjonny

sell the MK3, use proffits to buy ABF + shiny things [8D]

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

id like to put my own ABF in there [:D] if i keep the mk2 subframe i can keep the eibach ARBs, if i got for the mk3 subframe i get the big brakes and widetrack

but then what do i do with the rest of the mk3?

20. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

They're all rustbuckets anyway, fill it with old engine blocks and weigh it in!
    MyMk2 16v is sitting in the drive at the min, I'm driving a HORRIBLY boring Skoda Octavia diesel. Both probably soon to be gone, in exchange for a 535i sport.
    I still have the ratty caddy though, gotta keep in touch with your roots....