8v Turbo Conversion

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Richard Mk2, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Great idea Luke regarding the G60 engine, and 252 bhp would be great. :thumbup:

The thing i want the conversion to be as simple as possible, and as ive only just put the PB 8v lump into my Driver, im not really up for removing it again.

I basically want to build up a spare modified PB head on the side ( recon'd, ported, cams) and collect all the other bits and pieces till i have everything.

I'd be happy with anything over 160bhp using the standard engine.

Would the standard gearbox be ok using the PB engine. I know anything over 200 bhp would probably kill it.

2. danster Forum Addict

You really do not need to go to a G60 engine. Most will have had a hard life anyway and better the devil you know. If your own engine is good then that is a fine base. You could bleed off some compression with a thick head gasket and some careful work on the combustion chamber of the head before it is fitted. No need for cam and a lot of the other stuff suggested. It will work. There are loads of examples of folk getting great results. If yours is a k jet then the Audi turbo boost sensing WUR could be used.
    No need to overcomplicate and analyse stuff to the nth degree.

Even with a moderate power output you will need an LSD to put it on the ground.
    Transmission, the first thing you can do to a car to improve performance.

3. Richard Mk2

What type of drive feel are you after -

* Basically a quick off the mark 8v with a bit more power there for the straights.

What will it cost -

* As cheap as possible, hence the reason i want to use the PB engine, bottom end and gearbox instead of finding a G60 block and a different gearbox. Not looking for massive power gains either.

I just love the way the 8vs drive tbh. Always had fun in them, as ive owned a few in the past, but they have all lacked that extra ooomph, which would be there if i had a turbo bolted to it. And as i said above, its something different. I was advised to go for twin carbs, but i think i'd prefer a turbo tbh.

Ive driven a few new/old cars, and wouldn't consider a 1.8T conversion. Ive got the MK4 for big power, so basically want to keep the MK2 as a fun quick hothatch.

4. Richard Mk2

Cheers Dan :thumbup:

I thought a standard PB would be ok. Mine is a Digi. I had a K-jet in my old MK2 but ended up selling the engine as it got written off.

What transmission would you go for then? :thumbup:

5. danster Forum Addict

Transmissions of the 020 ilk generally suffer from the diff rivets and diff pin failing. Both trash the box. You could just use your own box, if it fails, which it may or may not do, you could then source another or look for an uprated box with an lsd.
    I have built several 020 boxes with lsds that have had plenty of track abuse and not had any problems.

6. Richard Mk2

Will leave the standard one on there to begin with then. If it does go i'll be giving you a shout to build me one ;)

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Drive the cars not to critque the 1.8T. Drive them to determine what drive benchmark the 8v is to have. This will help in setting power/torque goals and the components and gearing to make it happen.

8. Richard Mk2

^^^ Cheers for that. Will definitely look into everything you pointed out above. :thumbup:

Whats tour 16vT like to drive?

Also, What has Mike H done to his 8v ?

9. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Mike has a well spec'd and tuned NA 8v

10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I think it's quite hard to determine how you want your car to feel. I had the same issue. I knew I wanted something more. And I've got it. IMO My 16vT feels Gggrrreat. :lol:. Just how i wanted it. Nice off boost, the misses can drive it and really comes alive when you need/want it to. Would just like better cruising ability now. That should come with gearing.

11. Whittle Forum Member

I g60'd my mk1 and it was beautiful for a while until the charger blew up.

decided to stick a t2 off one of my old cars onto it rather than be liberated of my anal virginity and buy a refurbished G-charger

its stock internally, other than the cam. it makes 208bhp and 246 ft/lbs ;)

[​IMG]

12. Richard Mk2

13. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

G60 turbo [:*:]

14. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

dare we mention the dreaded bolt this weekend?

15. conor2469 Forum Member

@ thermal, sweet bay, any more photos? Isn't a T2 the turbo that came on some MK2 golf Turbo diesels? Nice result!

16. Whittle Forum Member

you just after photos of the bay?

my t2s off a ford of some description! it comes on boost at 2500 and is fully spun by about 3600 ;)

17. g60gerry Paid Member Paid Member

she runing pretty well now....built this engine 2 yrs ago for the MK1 2.L Tall block.

18. thegave Forum Member

19. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Manifold might not play nice with a RHD car.

20. danster Forum Addict

You can flip them with slight work. ;)

I only know this because of the one lying in front of me. [:$]