'91 2.0 8v Bikecarbbed Golf

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by ConnorJohnD, Jul 27, 2015.

1. ConnorJohnD New Member

A breif overview of my build, there might be odd bits that dont make sense but its coppied and pasted from another fourm..

So last November I picked up my 1.8 8v 91 Mk2 Golf GL in the best colour possible, Terracota Pearl Red. Anyway, i picked the car up from Surrey and I didn't pay a great deal for it but it did have issues, the main one at the time being the starter was shagged, so having to short it out with a bolt in the petrol station, having no dash lights at night didn't help too.. Plus running out of fuel so all in all it wasn't the best start. here's some photos from the add..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And once it was home!
    [​IMG]

First thing to go was the de-badged grill and tacky script Golf badge plus i'd always wanted a wooden steering wheel and got this for a complete steal!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After many other issues like CV joints, carb flanges, the alternator dying and exhaust issues it slowly started getting to where I wanted it to be.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got a set of HEL braided brake lines thanks to alexpenberthy too and that exhaust system was on the car for no longer than 2 days before I went and had a stainless straight through system made up, still running the standard backbox sounded quite nice, quiet but grunts when you put your foot down.

Picked up a Weber 32/34 DMTL and many other parts my car was missing from this 1600 auto at woodbury, it's like my savour car haha.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Skip forward abit and apart from smaller parts like replacing things, guages and tiding up with some OEM parts no real changes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Managed to get a set of baby G60's for 30 and had them banded to 8.5J rears and 7.5J fronts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finaly got the weber on to, safe to say the bay has changed for the best! Also put in a GTi cam whist changing my cambelt, looking for something more aggressive for the future ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It suffered from quite bad bush wear so starting to polybush throughout have also under sealed the whole belly again and had afew little rust repairs.
    [​IMG]

I do have this mk3 2.0 8v sitting around waiting to be stripped so I can pair the 1800 head with the 2.0 bottom end with the DMTL, should be fun.. Unsure on what box to use though as the mk3 GTI box has a rod shifter linkage but I'm not sure if my driveshafts will work with it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Recently picked up a Scorpion backbox and some wider Maxxis front tires, definalty helps when cornering!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also picked up a jobjot of Mk2 stuff from a towtruck guy! got a bunch of grills inc fogs, arch kit and afew NOS parts, i would run the arch kit but i need wider wheels now :thumbdown:
    [​IMG]

Plus some flaunting with alepenberthy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, more changes on the horizon and hope to start gathering engine parts for the 2.0, fingers crossed should do it over christmas as i need the car daily :)

1990 likes this.
  2. ConnorJohnD New Member

Small update, starting to seriously gather parts and clean up the AGG, pulled the head yesterday and everything looks pretty clean, need to get ahold of a distro adapter and afew other bits and it should be going in over Christmas! After a 272 duration cam to match with a P&P 1800 head too. Am I right in thinking the Mk2 GTi heads have slightly bigger valve inlets? Without the injector holes on the intake? As I'm anticipating on using my DMTL.
    [​IMG]

Just a quick shot from tonight getting afew coats of wax to start sealing it up for the coming winter months!

[​IMG]

Small update in preperation for the AGG, made (with a little help) a "vernier" cam pulley with 10 degrees adjustment for when I get my new cam next month. Afew photos of the process..

Starting out:
    [​IMG]

Balanced the pulley and machined the steel to fit:
    [​IMG]

Drilling/Tapping the holes for bolts:
    [​IMG]

Adjuster Sliders:
    [​IMG]

Borring some lightening holes:

[​IMG]

Don't have any photos of the welding or cutting out the spokes but heres the end product, kinda wish i went for bolts on the inside instead of welding, would have looked tidier..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Abit of an update as afew things have gone on recently

Took the time to rebuild the cylinder head as it was quite smokey not so long ago, annoyingly discovered it was cracked but i have a GTI head in the works for the AGG now..
    [​IMG]
    http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u525/connorjohnd/04897cb977382e0aa552c2096f0ec09e_zps78a41512.jpg[img]
    [img]http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u525/connorjohnd/b6250da8c4ab5752c9e6ae51a638cb7c_zps9c60bc57.jpg
    [​IMG]

Port and polished the intake manifold (and shaved the pre-heater) and head too while it was off..
    [​IMG]

The AGG will be going together ASAP along with a cam and manifold

And then just some flauntung...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also i made myself a short shifter the other night, real easy to do.. I'll take some photos and put them up soon

Sourced a head from MonzaDave and started to clean it up and block the injectors for the AGG, penny's and gasket sealer does the trick! full rebuild and port and polish will be happening over the next few weeks. Always something to do!

[​IMG]

3. ConnorJohnD New Member

Quick update, the head is flat, valves are out and currently cracking on with gasket matching, then just got the lap the valve seats and it can go back togther, unsure on weather to use the valves from the AGG which are dished for a small displacement increase or use the flat GTI head ones for a small compression raise, i know the difference will be minimal but something to think about.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Recently found out that the plastic crank case breather is not nesecary on Mk2's so might machine a blanking plate for it yet.

Changed the wheel and shifter for something smaller and menouverable for when cornering hard, the wood was nice but to big and not really the style i wanted for the Golf..(lack of carpet is temporary)
    [​IMG]

Also tinted the bottom half of my lights, still unsure myself..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers Dave!

4. ConnorJohnD New Member

Pretty productive past couple of days, gasket matched/ported the head still waiting to do the valve seats though.
    Also instead of splashing out 67 on the TSR adapter kit for the distro i've decided to have a go at making a frankanstien distro using the body and gear from the AGG and the hall sender and shaft from the 1800, its simple enough to do, already split the AGG one apart.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Spent the best part of today tidying up the GTI DFQ box,painted the whole thing balck, polished the end cap, clutch lever and shifter linkages, and the top of the mount (masked in the photo) not sure weatehr to do it black or colourcode the rest as polishing it all would take hours of prep.
    [​IMG]

Hoping to get it all togther this week and swap the engines out this weekend around work.

So last weekend me and Alexpenberthy managed to get the motor in which im pretty chuffed about. Worked out we spent about 20 hours on it and it runs real good bar a little on the road tuning.

Just getting started..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finishing off the head..
    [​IMG]

Horrible dirty smokey 1800 out..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New AGG/PB/2E motor coming together..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aaaand its in.. driving it like this was fun..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Starting to look more like a car again..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And its done, minus afew nigley bits, in need of a new airfilter though, my K&N was to tall for the taller block and this one is very restrictive..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It definatly has more torque but still needs some tuning, unfortunatly i never did get around to getting a cam for it so im still on the hunt. Did afew small things while it was out one of which being making a hockey puck front engine mount which is much better than the old shot motor mount.

Also picked these Girling 256's up today for a bargain, with hubs.. the discs have seen barely any use but the whole lot will get a propper overhaul before going on the car, and a much needed tidy up..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got the 256mm Girlings on lastnight which is good but could do with upgrading to the 22mm master cylinder, I'd also like a GTI rear disc setup but only as and when one comes up. Currently making an intake manifold flange for a bikecarb setup to replace the DMTL. Updates on that soon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Watch this space..

Also, did a thing today.. Does anyone happen to have a set of skirts for sale?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ConnorJohnD New Member

This was delivered yesterday, all the way from Team Heko in Poland, I'm quite happy with it for the price of 16 (inc postage) and had never seen one before last week, though am debating painting it matte black to slightly look more 'origional'. I have been after a small GTi spoiler for a while but couldnt find one with the rear window for the holes for a decent price. This was real simple and easy to fit and just slides under the rear window rubber, but its tight as hell, wont be going anywhere.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, this just happened on the way home from the airport going M5 Southbound.. Only waxed it yesterday too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Grey Corsa D in the fast lane drove over some road debris sending it into the front of the Golf in the middle lane going 70Mph :(

I can source a spotlight and grill easy enough but the bonnet is whats ****ed me off, it was the best pannel on the car. Going to have to be a homegrown repair on the hood to.

So taking it with a pinch of salt as it was pretty unavoidable i popped out the smashed spotlight and cable-tied the grill back for now, i'll pick up some new stuff form the black GTI at Woodbury breakers on my lunch tomorrow as im not to far from there. Also hammered the front part of the dent out but the rest is behind a support unfortunatly.

[​IMG]

I actauly quite like it with the one spotlight in a German (much more tame) Mad Max kinda way as was considering swapping the remaining spotlight to the other side and getting a 6" intake stack and some ducting as a cold air feed for the bikecarbs (especialy as it will be counterflow for now atleast) or running my oil cooler hose through it or both, though i feel like then people will get the impression that i'll be trying to copy the RollHard Mk2..
    [​IMG]

Abit of a catchup, managed to get ahold of a OMP bucket seat and a pair of Corbeau 4 point harnesses all new for a real good price so thought why not and installed them. I know some people have strong views of using them without a cage or even on the street but personaly i like them and am comfortable using them, and im currently working on trying to get ahold of a cage *wink wink*. Not sure if the fact that mines a sunroof model is an issue though?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, the bike carbs are pretty much good to go, just need some gaskets and to work out filters but im still sort of holding out for some with a 38mm diaphram as oppose to the 36mm ones i have at the moment.

Making the flange for the intake, just used the gasket for a rough size.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks to Alexpenberthy zuesing the whole thing up for me
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still runnnig one spotlight, but to be honest i quite like it and it should come in handy with the bikecarbs. Oh yeah, and dads friend popped down with his new E-type, had to take some photos!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thinking of getting a full set of Toyo Proxxies at the end of the month, 195/55 rear and 195/50 on the front, and ive also managed to strike a deal on a four branch with someone at work!

Quick one, made myself a gasket for the bikecarb manifold, might have ago at getting them on this weekend if I get ahold of some hose clamps..
    [​IMG]

Also, made a rear strutbrace out of some scrap box steel at work, real quick and easy, need to do a lower wishbone one to! Photos are of poor quality, will get some better ones soon!
    [​IMG]

Cracked on with the carbs lastnight, eneded up "finnishing" at about 11pm and had to be up for Modified Mania at 6am!

Me and Alexpenberthy got the homemade manifold and gasket on with not to much hassle, then had to make a brake booster vaccum line from a 6N one. Got the carbs on but they were running super rich, after much hassle and even running real rich with the mixture screw out a quarter turn we pulled the pilot jets to find they'd been drilled to over 1mm! God knows why or what would run effeicntly like that but luckily Alex had some spare 0.35mm ones we drilled to 0.45. Anyway, got it running on 1.6mm mains but was still lean, brought it up to 1.7mm, put the carbs on and left it. Driving it this morning for the first time was a little nerve racking. Still never had time to adjust the diaphram springs/sliders so it doesnt like full throttle but it got to the show. Doing that lot tomorrow along with some tidying up.

Just need to get ahold of this four branch and some heatwrap! I have wrapped the intake manifold in metal reflective tape to help reduce head soak for now. Also i think it'll be to tight for small cone filters so i'll have to resort to sock filters, aprently they're pretty restrictive though.. :thumbdown:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. ConnorJohnD New Member

Got the bikecarbs running good today and what a differnece! Much more torque and really snaps the tach! they really dont like to run with my temporary cloth air filters though but being limited for space ill have to use foam sock filters, hopefully slightly going up a jet size to 175 or 180 should counteract the restriction

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

That's very cool and probably the first DIY adjustable pulley I've ever seen :thumbup:

How was the 2.0 compared to the 1.8 with the single Webber on?

8. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

That's very cool and probably the first DIY adjustable pulley I've ever seen :thumbup:

How was the 2.0 compared to the 1.8 with the single Webber on?

9. ConnorJohnD New Member

Thanks man! The 2.0 definatly had more torque but you could tell it was restricted, the bikecarbs have helped so much it feels great and builds revs like crazy

10. ConnorJohnD New Member

Afew photos of the install for those interested..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ConnorJohnD New Member

Since the last update theres been afew changes, one of which being the new Sachs clutch started to slip under max torque or up hills, typicaly it would happen the week before Retro Rides Gathering.. Went straight in and got a Drivetorque stage 1 upgraded clutch and hoped it would turn up in decent time.

As luck would have it, it arrived alot earlier than was estimated and wasted no time in starting the install that evening..
    [​IMG]

One weird thing is that the friction plate was 200mm as oppose to the 210mm stock, but they had the same surface area in contact so i didnt think much of it.

[​IMG]

Upon removing the box we found out that the main shaft gearbox seal was slightly leaking too, which wasn't helping.. i replaced the seal but not the bush which looked like someone has had ago at clawing out before..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some other smaller bits..
    [​IMG]

Also got the Golf a new set of tires, 185/60/14 Maxxis on the rear, 185/50/14 Yokohamas on the front, was origonaly getting Maxxis all around but there was quite a mixup and many phonecalls on that front.. In the end i got the Yoko's for the same price!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, Had an awesome time at Retro Rides, drove up with a convoy of friends in the rain.

Not one issue all day with the Golf, 140 miles up, parked up for a while and then signed up for the hill climb!
    As my turn came closer the rain drew in, so all 4 for my runs were in the wet, couldn't nail the start without spinning through the gears so took it easy at first and around the corners, appaerntly the track was quite slippery. Despite the weather i had a great time and the Golf performed amazingly, chuffed to bits with it.

Some Photos from the Hill, I'd like to credit the photographers but their names currently escape me!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After my runs on the hill, parked up for about 10 minutes and then continued to drive the 140 miles home, again without issue!

This Delta Evo was definatly my favourite of the day, would love one!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next jobs are to pick up and lighten an AGG flywheel (if anyone has one let me know!), and get ahold of a stainless manifold!
    Not sure how much to take off the flywheel, though i think this is a little to much for a daily!
    [​IMG]

I do have some gopro footage from inside the Golf which ill try and get up soon!

12. ConnorJohnD New Member

Heres 2 of my runs up the hill, unfortunatly on the one i think i was best on i forgot to hit record! Doh! Didn't bother uploading my first as it was real slow becuase it was my first time even looking at the course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdZ6SQIvdxw

[video=youtube_share;DdZ6SQIvdxw]http://youtu.be/DdZ6SQIvdxw[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWRZtxRL0qI

[video=youtube_share;yWRZtxRL0qI]http://youtu.be/yWRZtxRL0qI[/video]

I did recognise afew of the cars at the show from either the fourm and Devon though!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2015
  13. Millhausen

Millhausen Forum Member

Love this little thing, and I think I stumbled across it on instagram the other day.

I can't work out if I like it with or without the arches though, but I did prefer the silver wheels.

Lovely Mk2 though, and it's even a 4 door. Ha ha.

ConnorJohnD likes this.
  14. Winter20vt New Member

Awesome build dude, love the colour

davelockett1 and ConnorJohnD like this.
  15. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Liking this. The only thing I'm not a fan of is the yellow lights.

You've obviously spent some time on the body, it's looks superb!

ConnorJohnD likes this.
  16. ConnorJohnD New Member

Thanks guys, always nice to have some feedback! Ordered afew bits for it so should be an update soon, still trying to sourse a secondhand manifold too, not much point paying the extra and buying a shiny new one just to wrap it

17. ConnorJohnD New Member

Afew more photos have popped up from Retro Rides Gathering, still unable to credit photographers unfortunatly

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also.. Picked up some new wheels for the Golf, 14x8 ET15 Steffan RS's, always liked these wheels and when they came up localy i just had to jump on it, they needed a fair bit of work but no real issues for me..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before
    [​IMG]
    2 minutes with a hand file..not perfect, but far from done, without loosing to much material
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Currently taking back the laquer and polsihing the dishes and lips, and then black centres with stainless 'bolts'.. should be done this week, then to ditch the tiny 165's and put my tires on!

18. RoyF18 Forum Member

I love the colour of this! I had a mk2 I owned stripped and resprayed in BMW Imola Red (very similar) to get the same kinda look.
    The car that inspired me was a cherry red or something - Someone on here had a VR6 converted mk2 in a really nice deep red (standard colour).
    Anyways, stunning stuff, great car and great work

ConnorJohnD likes this.
  19. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Nice colour and tweaked your retro ride videos for you!

ConnorJohnD likes this.
  20. ConnorJohnD New Member

Thanks guys! The colour is one of the main reasons i brought it!

Right... Got my tires swapped last night and chucked the wheels straight on, the fronts are a little streched, but i can live with that for now, they sit near enough the same as the steels did which is good, though i do want to lift the rear by about half an inch..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also do it about twice a year, had a propper jetwash thurough on the underside and wheel wells of the car and a good rust checkover, only two bits that concern me is a sill which will need a patch, and the bottom of one rear arch has a nice hole. I have re undersealed the belly before, but i think ill do it again soon for good measue and tidiness.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fitted an OMP front lower brace too, after and upper one but looking at ways of making one myself. (note the crank seal leak to the left, really need to replace it, even have a new seal, but aparently the crank bolt is prone to shear, which REALLY puts me off, hence not doing it yet)
    [​IMG]

While i was underneath, noticed there isnt that much clearance on my calipers! Unrelated but im going to make up some front brake cooling ducts through the foglight holes
    [​IMG]

Garage is abit crowded at the momet, full of building supplys and car parts i need to weigh in!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next lot of stuff to do is;
    Wheel stud conversion
    Upgrade to disk rears, preferebly a whole GTI rear axle (want a rear ARB)
    still after some sideskirt
    Front uper brace
    brake ducts
    patch the sill