9A block from VW

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Golfvr6, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golfvr6 Forum Member

If anyone wants to change their KR block for a 9A then VW do a complete short engine for 679 + VAT.
    Before buying engine blocks from C&R/TSR try VW first!

2. wussel Forum Member

Is that true? Would there really change one sort of block with a different one?

Oh and BTW what is a short engine? Is that the lower half? Block, pistons, crank etc but not head and ancileriys like the oil pump and alternator?

Could be quite handy to know espiscally cause I have got that sort of cash burning a hole in my pocket. How much do you reckon a garage would charge to fit it all?

3. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I'm interested in going for a 2.0 in my valver, so I'm really curious about this. 679 is far from cheap compared to getting a 9A from the scrappie.. but it's a brand new engine.

Would anyone care to comment? Would it be mad to pay VW so much for this if I wanted to upgrade my KR to 2L? Or is it a good alternative to the hassle of getting a salvage 9A and investing in time and parts to restore it?

4. Golfvr6 Forum Member

It is a complete bottom end, including oil pump and sump.
    I wouldn't say thats expensive considering tsr/c&r want over 2000 for the same thing.

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

They'll want a 9A core for a 9A engine though. You won't be able to buy a 9A block and give them a KR in exchange.

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Of course you could always buy a nuked 9A for buttons, and use that as the exchange......

7. Andy947 Forum Addict

Why do they want blocks back though?

Surely it'd have to be in a servicable condition if you were to put one back?

Would it not be better to get a block fully reconditioned? or would you be more expensive than new from VW?

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

They'll want blocks back because they are reconditioning them, or getting someone else to do it. It wouldn't have to be "serviceable", just "salvagable", because they would be reboring it, replacing the pistons etc. anyway. As long as there isn't a rod through the block or anything......

9. Golfvr6 Forum Member

Er No, sorry but thats not quite true.
    The price the geezer quoted me was 679 + VAT, and he said he would give me a 5% discount as well.
    The parts guy didn't say it was exchange, but i suspect you would probably have to give them your old block.
    You certainly don't need an old 9A block to get the new block at that price. I have been dealing with the guys at Colbournes for years and they don't talk poo.

10. Golfvr6 Forum Member

Just to add to that the guy at parts quoted me the price WITHOUT giving a block back.

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

But surely it's going to be the same as any exchange. You can't buy a recon Gti starter motor and give them a 1.3 starter as the core. They always want like for like. So you'll give them your old 9A block, pay 679 + VaT and get a new 9A block in return. Why would they want a different engine as a core?

12. pigbladder Forum Addict

tsc...ive handed over the wrong parts in ex and they dont inspect em...remeber the parts guys are in shirts and ties..i doubt they would want to root arount an oily engine..and it looks right apart from the number, theyd prob asume you are exchanging like for like...i wonder what the surcharge would be anyway??

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

btw...whats the seat equivalent or the north south fitted audi engine?? i wonder how much they are

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

6A is the Audi one. I doubt all the blokes would catch on if you gave them a different engine back, but what I was saying was that that's the deal, that is what the price includes - a like for like exchange.

15. Golfvr6 Forum Member

Yeah i know what you mean mate.
    However i was quoted the price without any exchange, so i hope that answers your question pal.

16. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

That'll be because he's assuming you know it's an exchange price, the same way it is anywhere else you buy an engine. It's the standard.

17. pigbladder Forum Addict

i asked for a vag price on a gearbox once...they offered a brand new no ex price and a recon ex price...so maybe they do that

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Lol - what was the brand new price?

19. pigbladder Forum Addict

1700+vat i think?? about 950+ for the recon..i didnt buy either lol

20. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Lol..... imagine forking out 2000 for a gearbox. I'd buy four cars for that money.... :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.