9A engine/KR gearbox which clutch

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by beetie, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Joe_G Forum Member

Yeah, but you know what I mean ;)

2. ianb Forum Member

If it's around 165-170 bhp plus more torque then a standard Sachs item is fine.Mine was fine when 1.8
    Both mine and Scotty16V had problems with our clutch's dragging.
    Mine went at Coombe we replaced it with a Black Diamond clutch complete and off I went and again after a few trackdays last year it began to drag again.The clamping force of the standard pressure plate was insuffient.
    The problem seem to appear after I went 2 litre.
    The torque destroyed the pressure plate. There are 3 prongs on the pressure plate two of which were sheered off due to the power/torque.
    I don't do standing starts but quick changes on track I think mullered it.
    The Sachs itenm has triple prongs on the pressure plate and when I put it in the car we used the Black Diamond friction plate as that was not worn.
    The bite point is much better and in general it should last the course.
    The pressure plate on it's own is approximately 140.
    Worth the investment long term

BBR and GTI Engineering all used Sachs sporting clutch if I remember correctly.
    The GSF Scahs item is not the same...look on the Sachs web site.
    Ianb

3. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Other option is Helix, available through Mardi Gras motorsport, and alcon do one also for the 020 box. If you choose a scintered friction plate, make sure its a sprung center plate not a solid one.

I have a helix one in my car (actually a Sachs Gp N coverplate with Helix's own sprung 4-puck scintered friction plate) - 9A 200bhp - and it ran all year last year doing sprints and some big standing starts with sticky tyres - no problems (touchwood).

TSR told me the std one is good for 170, sachs powerclutch for 180 and then above 180 you need a full sporting job (twice the price of the 180 brake clutch)

Cheers

Rob