a little sluggish after cambelt change

Discussion in '8-valve' started by G60KG, Jun 12, 2013.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I've just run a 35mm jump lead from the battery - to one of the starter motor bolts. I tried turning the engine over by hand and I can hear a click from the starter, then tried again still no joy. I saw on another thread that there is a way of bypassing the solenoid but not clear on how to do this.

bridging the starter I can get the solenoid to 'click' and I can get the motor to spin but only independantly not both together.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  2. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

ok took the starter off and tested it. It worked so I cleaned up all the terminals, washers etc.. and refitted. The car now starts so vack to what this thread is really about.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Matey...you certainly got the "midas" touch lol

By the way never said anything to do with "spark - Idle Advance settings" so you are scaring me.[:s]

I said "Fix the calibration timing in the ECU to a recognisable setting such as 0 or 10 or so (reset the fixed setting from -10)"

To ensure you really do not get it wrong,
    Open MT and select 29Y4 firmware. Screen with gauges opens up.

If ignition key is on but engine is off and the MS is connected to the PC, save the map and go to Spark-> Spark settings.
    Grey Box opens and the second to last parameter you would see "Fixed Angle" - it should be -10 Deg as you are using the mapped values.

Set the engine speed to 1500rpm to avoid stalling when added increase spark retard.

Change Fixed Angle to an easy reference i.e. 0, 5 or 10 deg ( depending on spark advance for the given speed and load) the engine would drop note.

Use the timing light advance to vary the flash with no delay ( 0 adv offset) i.e. If the ECU is set to deliver 0 deg timing and the timing light is also set to zero advance offset, any mark referencing TDC/0 will line up when flashed and all would be well. Lock the dizzy.

However setting the light to 0 adv offset with the reference marks not being flashed to TDC means there is an error. To find out the error advance the timing gun to measure. You will need to turn the dizzy to actually correct the error mechanically. This would ensure what spark is being delivered to the engine vs what the ECU is sending out or actual engine spark advance = ECU advance.

After verifying with the timing gun lock the Dizzy.

You are now done and the car should drive the same providing the cam to crank is correctly set.

Sound easy?

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

right I have done it. This time I changed the 'spark settings' not the 'idle advance' :lol: the 8v fury has returned!! Although I locked the dizzy to the 'V' notch on the flywheel not the TDC mark. Should I go back and do it again?

EDIT: just noticed I had the gun on 8degrees advance, totally forgot about the dial. I have been rained off now so will do it again tomorrow. Well atleast I know what Im doing now, although still need to know the correct flash point on the flywheel, the tdc mark or the btdc.

5. Toyotec

Great!

Now leave it alone and go drive and enjoy the thing!!!

Mr Midas!!lol

6. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

If only I could really turn things into gold. So was I correct to use the V notch on the flywheel?

7. Toyotec

Here you go Midas...[:D]

[​IMG]

8. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I used the 6 degree mark is that ok?

9. Toyotec

Ok, once you expected the ECU to also deliver 6 deg and the timing strobe flashed on the diamond to confirm all was well.

10. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

But I set the the ECU fixed to 10 so should this figure have been 6?