abf cambelt.....

Discussion in '16-valve' started by RIP-MK3, May 18, 2009.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

yeah makes sense. How do you adjust the tensioner?

2. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

1) Line up as described above, get out some typex, make along the tooth running inline with the cam marks then draw an arrow to the right on the belt representing directon of rotation.........

2) At the bottom pulley, mark the belt, pulley and the housing behind it with three marks, one on each

3) Release the tensioner, remove the belt

4) Duplicate marks on new belt by holding the belts side by side and marking where required

5) Fit the new belt in exactly the same position as the old one

6) Fit the new tensioner and tension the belt (long nose pliers may work, i used circlip pliers)

7) Turn the engine over twice and make sure the pulley marks line up (note: the belt marks will not!!)

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

with the tensioner tool. circlip pliers do the trick though. set it and then i think you torque it to 20nm, turn the crank and see if the tension is correct

4. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

45? no way. look at the pic, its a 13mm bolt, so maybe an m8 thread. no way is that 45nm

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

M8 at the nut on the end, M10 inside the head (it's a stepped stud).

Mk2 manual says 45 NM, but the stud on that is 10mm all the way down.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

from autodata

6. Tighten tensioner nut [8]. Tightening torque: 25 Nm.

thats for the ABF tensioner, its what i did mine to... ill check tonight to see if it has any tension

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

earlier abfs used the mk2 16v tensioner, you can convert between them by swappign the stud. if you can go for the abf one as it takes all the guess work out of setting the tension.
    only issue with it is the pin holes are much shallower so ideally you need a proper tool, circlip pliers etc dont have much to grip.
    bentley agrees it 45nm to tighten for the early setup, but i never bother I just do it up 'tight'

9. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

do you have the tool rubjonny?

10. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

GSF sell the tensioner tool.. it wasn't that expensive

It's made by LASER

11. rubjonny

indeed i picked one up as soon as i saw how shallow the tensioner holes were!

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

will pick one up then. just i work in bracknell so thought i may be able to half inch yours for a bit :lol:

13. rubjonny

yeah i guess that would be alright as long as i get it back :lol:

14. GTice.FI New Member

Hi Matt,
    First of all I have to thank you very much for the so clear pictures...really helpful.
    I am NEW new here...just registered now and is my first time writing here. Actually Registerd to write you about this . hank you in advance for your time and Opinion.
    I have a 1993 Gti mk3 2.0 16v...exactly what you show here ...and I am having a Huge problem that have been giving me nights no sleep.
    I had a leak of oil from the crankshaft sprocket cover, logically I changed also de seal...
    Mate, when I put it all together, aligned the flywheel mark(like picture) piston 1 is TDC with the rotor pointing to Nr1 plug, Camshaft mark is Perfect there....BUT the MARK on CRANK PULLEY is pointing like 4 o'clock. Been searching and searching...and in youtube for example we see that the DOT on the Crank sprocket(the guide for the Pulley) have to be pointing 8 o'clock and the Bolts (4) have to be cross 12-6 and 9-3 o'clock. ALL IS THERE ...but the Pulley is pointing 4 o'clock...WHY ?????....Man I am getting crazy here. Oh have to say the car runs perfect, starts perfect, but I hear a little clapings noises inside the top of the engine...friend said already is paranoia...but I been so confused...uffffffffffff. Conclusion...what you think it can be; somebody put a different pulley ? Mate ...sorry for the huge long letter...an appreciate your valued opinion. Regards. Jos