ABF chips

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Sully114, Jul 17, 2009.

1. mk1tt16v Forum Member

i put a abf on digi 3.2 in my bros 88' 8v about a month back and i fitted a powerchips chip in it.i dunno if it made an improvement cos before that i have never been in a mk2 abf but we are going to a rolling road on sat so ill report back with the dyno plot

2. 85mk2golf1.3 Forum Member

yeah that would be great mk1tt16v

3. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Was the Powerchips jobbie from Greece and take ages to arrive?

4. 85mk2golf1.3 Forum Member

i just bought one of those greek ones, are they decent??

5. timo16v

timo16v Paid Member Paid Member

twas indeed.........felt same as the blitzchip but went with the blitz in the end as a bit more history and feedback from lots of dubbers running blitz in their 8vs 16vs and vr6s

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

for 30 quid i think my blitz chip was great. get good mpg, slight improvement and that power delivery is almost perfect. just want it bigger!

7. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

I purchased one of those Powerchips numbers.... Not a lcue if it made any difference except the car did seem to run a bit smoother but could well be my imagination. Hopefully have it on the rollers before christmas though.

8. Sully114 Forum Member

One of the main reasons I posted this thread was because so many people are selling ABF chips on ebay for practically peanuts, so I assume there must be an easy way to copy them and flog them on cheap! Does anyone know where you get the bin files from? are they downloadable from somewhere?

9. Richardshoes Forum Member

How about getting an eprom programmer that can read performance chips and write blank chips?:)

10. nickh89GTi Forum Member

I was thinking of doing this with my ABF Chip. I got one of those Ebay VW powerchips ones the other week but haven't got round to fitting it yet.

11. mk1tt16v Forum Member

well we went today to the rr and these are the results.standard abf on digi 3.2.,mk2 8v exhaust system,lightened flywheel,powerchips chip,020 8v box

it produced 191nm/162bhp@6400

were pretty chuffed with it

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  12. lufbramatt Forum Member

what was it before you had the chip in?

13. mk1tt16v Forum Member

never had it on the rollers before as i bought the engine with bent valves and put the chip in before i had started it.in hindsight i should of swapped the standard chip while i was there to see what the difference was but i forgot all about it.There was another mk2 there that was on kjet with an abf bottom end and that made 170nm/151bhp@6900

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  14. GARETH JENNINGS New Member

Hi all, i have bought two chips from different ebay sellers and both are a waste of money,
    My car is a 91 oak green mk2 golf 3 door with a rebuilt abf enfine from a 99 seat ibiza gti 16v.
    not sure about the first ebay chip as i removed it as the limiter was a nightmare,it was from a Spain
    on the rolling road with standard chip it made 159.7 bhp
    with the chip it made 156.5 bhp,could'nt believe it myself
    the only thing the chip did was raise the rev limit by 300 revs
    performace_chip_tunning on ebay could only say "its impossible,its impossible "
    only putting this up as i did before and after runs with standard and performance chip
    I rebuilt the engine myself and did light headwork,just wanted to give it a go to see if i could get a few extra bhp.
    Im happy with the 159.7 bhp but would just like a chip to do as they say or even half what they say on ebay but they just get away with selling crap and try and blame your engine or just say its impossible
    rebuilt 2.0 abf from a 99 ibiza cupra
    light port and polished head
    port matched inlet system including throttle body
    lightened and balanced flywheel 4.8 kg removed
    4 branch to custom exhaust no cat
    ram air induction kit
    4 bar fuel pump and regulator
    mk4 tdi gearbox 139mph in 4 th on dyno
    17 inch alloys
    Hope this helps someone out or at least save time and money buying non working ebay chips

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

off the shelf chips are never going to be as good as a proper remap, many of them out there are just copies of a map chip that have been going round for a long while and the prices have shot up over time. The one I bought many years ago cost 20 quid off ebay and produced a dyno proven +5bhp and +4torque, with a noticeably smoother AFR curve. But yeah, for the money they want these days dont bother, go to a respectable tuner and have them do a proper job. Support your local businesses ;)

16. GARETH JENNINGS New Member

Yeah mate but I'm over in northern Ireland and nobody wants to do it as they just want to remap all the tdi yokes as it fast and good way to make money but don't even want to touch my car as they don't know how to.
    Im only pissed off as I don't know how ebay sellers get away with saying up to 25bhp and 35mn.
    I just bought an old school superchips chip second hand off a private seller as for a 10 spot, worth a go for that money.
    And have a set of zx12r throttle bodies for it if the chip won't give a few good bhp, but do want to keep as is if I can.
    I did fit a set of r1 carbs to my original kr motor due to metering head issues and loved them for a while but couldn't wait to fit the abf motor. Its far better in every way but as iv said just would like a chip that works

J.varly likes this.
  17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I tested most of those things on here.

Do not be obsessed with peak gains as they really say very little, especially when tested on a dyno. Being able to capture what a delta in acceleration feels like on the road, at say 55% engine load, with or without a map, is the critical bit. A WOT test would mean sweet bugger all in such a case.

The powerchip.cz I know, makes a small change in full load acceleration on an ABF engine. It is calibrated very safe.
    You also have to ensure, your ABF is mechanically correct at the time of any evaluation like that also. Many are not, having passed through less knowledgeable non VW garages.

You will struggle to find an off the shelf eprom that gives all the benefits a stock ABF can achieve, in terms of part load and full load torque, particular from as low as 3900 rpm to 5500 rpm, unless the tuner takes time to calibrate the engine and the basic engine characteristics must be known.
    I have seen other so called chips placed in ECUs that just enhance engine knock, in the part load region where most drive. Again knowing what you are doing helps.

18. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Cannot use ITBs with an OE ECU plenum speed density calibration.

19. GARETH JENNINGS New Member

Yeah I know I need a new ecu to run the throttle bodies but won't be fitting them at the moment as I have other things to do this winter, and if this old school superchip makes any difference then I will be more than happy for the next year or so as I'm happy because it's the best it's ever been